Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 100mg Utrogestan how many days?  (Read 2217 times)

DEG

100mg Utrogestan how many days?
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »

Happy new year!!  I started on 200mg Utrogestan but it made me feel so nauseous I was cut down to 100mg for 12 days. First month was fine but this month I have missed a period. If only 100mg should I be taking it for longer than 12 days? How many days does everyone else take it for?

DEG

Re: 100mg Utrogestan how many days?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »

Thank you

Hurdity

Re: 100mg Utrogestan how many days?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »

The thing is the licensed dose for oral use is 200 mg x 12 days - but this is a one-size fits all approach and does not vary with the dose of oestrogen. Other things being equal it tends to work fairly well on average with a medium dose of oestrogen - is too much for a small dose and can be too little for a large dose. When taken orally a lot is lost to digestion (passes through) and the rest metabolised through the liver so the amount getting into your system can be unpredictable. When used vaginally (unlicensed in this country but regularly used this way in continental Europe) more is absorbed which is why Stellajane is fine on this dose.

I agree with what she says that 100 mg orally for 12 days may not be enough. When used on a continuous combined basis the dose is 100 mg x 25 days with 3 days off to allow for a bleed if there is one. However some women get irregular spotting this way.

So it partly depends on how much oestrogen you are taking whether you get a bleed or not - as well as the amount of prog.

You could also try vaginal use if you are concerned?

Hurdity x