Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: paxil for hot flushers  (Read 2154 times)

sue23

paxil for hot flushers
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »

like to hear for anyone that has took 10mg ,paroxetine for hat flushers thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: paxil for hot flushers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »

Sometimes medications ease symptoms of conditions for which they weren't intended so maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress?  Some ADs can apparently help with hot flushes.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 10:48:09 PM »

Hi there sue23 - drugs like this are not recommended as first line of treatment for hot flushes due to the hormonal changes of menopause, except for women who are unable to take HRT. This is what it says on this website:

SSRI DRUGS (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors). This is a class of anti-depressant drugs which seem to work on the "thermostat" receptor as well as neurotransmitters. Examples are Venlafaxine, Fluoxetine, and Paroxetine. They have been studied and widely used effectively for reducing flushes in women who have had breast cancer [Ref 11 and Ref 28] . They should not be taken however, if Tamoxifen is being taken as part of the treatment for breast cancer since studies have shown that some SSRIs, particularly Paroxetine and Fluoxetine, may interfere with the action of Tamoxifen. Venlafaxine seems to be less likely to have this effect and so is the preferred option in this situation. The dose of SSRIs can be started low and increased gradually to minimize side effects. A greater reduction in hot flushes is seen at higher doses but the side effects such as nausea, dizziness, problems with sleeping, agitation and confusion may be worse. The NICE guideline recommended that SSRIs should not be offered routinely for control of menopausal symptoms, even for low mood if related to the menopause.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

Have you tried or thought about HRT which is what the NICE Guidelines recommend, if there is no medical reason why you should not take HRT?

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:14:09 PM »

I had been on pail 20 for 10 years and didn't feel I needed an antidepressant anymore. I was reducing fine until I got to 5mg. From nowhere I had a nightmare of symptoms that weren't diagnosed a menopause problem until over a year. I was in peri and had no idea as the pail had been masking it. So in answer to your question it did fully cover up symptoms. Would I take it again no way my body was awful and withdrawal was a nightmare x