Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making new friends  (Read 7813 times)

Cazikins

Re: Making new friends
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 03:42:37 PM »

I get quite lonely.

I have been off work for over a year so I don't get to see many people during the day except when I walk the dog. And there is only so much you can chat about to a JRT  ;D ;D.

We are down to 1 car now as I am now on benefit so don't get out & about much, friends are working so they don't visit, family neither.

I know I need to get off my a**se more & make the effort - but like Bramble I just don't know where to start.

Cazi x
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:44:28 PM by Cazikins »

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »

We've just moved house to a new area. I'm going to try out a weekly over 50s exercise group and am going to an information session for volunteers to work in a foodbank.

We have one of those wooden plaque thingys that are sold everywhere these days which says "Take chances and only regret the things you didn't do". I think its a good attitude to have - give things a try, then even if you don't fancy going back you can at least say you gave them a go.
i recently went to such an information session about helping with foodbanks but most of the help needed was at times which I couldn't do due to work. i have  since helped set up a stall in the Town Square. you will probably find that the help needed is mostly with things like cleaning the storeroom or transporting donations (rather than handing food out to those who need it).

Dorothy

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »

My closest friends are the ones I've known for years - my best friend dates back to primary school and my other closest friends, I've known for 28, 26 and 10 years respectively.  I've found it harder to develop close friendships as I've grown older, but the strongest ones have come about through voluntary work - there is something about working together to benefit a cause you both feel strongly about that forges close links.  And you also tend to see each other at your best & worst and support each other through the highs and lows of the project, which I suppose mimics the ups and downs of our younger selves!  I volunteered 2 years ago with a group that did a week-long series of events to benefit the local community and became friends with one of the organisers - earlier this year, we were involved in another week of events, and I would say that now, she is almost as close a friend as some of the ones from my younger days.  I've also made another good friend through volunteer work for homeless and refugees.  And if you build a friendship over a shared cause, you never run out of stuff to talk about!

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 07:01:40 PM »

My closest friends are the ones I've known for years - my best friend dates back to primary school and my other closest friends, I've known for 28, 26 and 10 years respectively.  I've found it harder to develop close friendships as I've grown older, but the strongest ones have come about through voluntary work - there is something about working together to benefit a cause you both feel strongly about that forges close links.  And you also tend to see each other at your best & worst and support each other through the highs and lows of the project, which I suppose mimics the ups and downs of our younger selves!  I volunteered 2 years ago with a group that did a week-long series of events to benefit the local community and became friends with one of the organisers - earlier this year, we were involved in another week of events, and I would say that now, she is almost as close a friend as some of the ones from my younger days.  I've also made another good friend through volunteer work for homeless and refugees.  And if you build a friendship over a shared cause, you never run out of stuff to talk about!
  Yes I am still in touch with friends met through voluntary work at a hospital in the mid 80's. It is a shared experience. Doing a foreign language learning holiday works in a similar way, a common factor.
Pages: 1 [2]