Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alternative to Estradot??  (Read 10204 times)

Belladonna

Alternative to Estradot??
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »

I am on Estradot 50 mcg which is an estradiol patch. Last time I managed to get 2x25 instead but now that has disappeared from the market too! I asked the pharmacist if there is any replacement but she said there isn't and they don't even know when it will be back in stock. I've had so much trouble finding an HRT that works for me, so this is really bad news...  :'(

Does anyone know if there are other estradiol patches I could ask my gyn for?  ???

Dancinggirl

Re: Alternative to Estradot??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:54:04 PM »

How odd!!!!  Many women are using Estradot patches - they are very popular.  You could use Oestrogel instead. DG x

cubagirl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »

I was switched to Evorel instead of Estradot.

peri

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »

I'm on evorel and they're very good

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:06 PM »

Where are you Belladonna? I have never had trouble getting hold of Estradot and I live in the SW. I gather that some big pharmacists run out of them but mine come from the surgery pharmacy as I live in the country. Maybe try a different pharmacy? You could also try 100 mcg and snip them! Otherwise as the others have said - the usual alternative ( also changed twice weekly) is Evorel which does the same job. Personally I wouldn't change from patch to gel at this point if patches are working for you as you might experience problems getting the same dosage as absorption is very different. However if you were thinking of changing - and trying the gel - well - now's the time!

Hurdity x

donnacrichton

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »

I have the same problem getting estradot 50mcg even cutting 100 mcg wasn't great. I have enough until end if the month as try to keep a small amount extra. I've been told hopefully end of the month. I'm in Scotland and had problems getting them from last spring x

Dana

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »

Obtaining Estradot in Australia has been a big problem over the last couple of months, but I have managed to get 3 boxes in the last few days, so I now have a total of 4 boxes. I'm also on an Australian menopause facebook page and other ladies have also been able to obtain supplies, so hopefully this means things are starting to improve. We all plan on leaving every patch on as long as possible so we're not wasting anything. I'd suggest other Estradot users do that, even if you aren't having supply issues yet, because you just never know.

This is a worldwide problem because of manufacturing issues in the US which may continue until the middle of 2017. I was told that directly by Novartis, but my pharmacist said that supply would be better by the end of December 2016. Maybe he's right because quite a few of us have definitely been able to obtain some supplies over the last few days, so I'm not sure what or who he knows..lol..

Some areas may be worse hit than others. This will probably depend on local demand and what stocks various pharmacies have on hand. For some reason it seems to just be the 50 patch (probably because it's the most popular one), but the flow on has affected the supply of the 25s and 100s, and to a lesser extent the 37.5 and 75. Btw - I've been told by a couple of pharmacists that cutting a 100 in half isn't ideal because you will always lose a certain amount of the dose doing that, but if you're desperate it might have to be an option, however getting a hold of the 100 could also be an issue.

It has also affected the alternative patches because when one dries up of course people are going to turn to the alternatives. I tried the once a week patch, but I didn't like it. It's supposed to be the same dose, but it's definitely lower and I've been told by two pharmacists that this is a common complaint, so I may try putting on an extra half patch to use them up.

Good luck. Hopefully things will improve soon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:53:10 PM by Dana »

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »

If you were not able to obtain Estradot anymore are there other oestrogen only patches that one can use, along with Utrogestan as Evorel contains its own form of progestegin, does it not?

peri

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »

No it doesn't you add progesterone in separately.  I think you're getting mixed up with evorel conti which is different.

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »

Oh so is Evorel sequi just a box of oestrogen patches? I understood it to be a box of 4 oestrogen patches and then another 4 with oestrogen and the added progestogin, but may have misunderstood. Not clued up on patches at all.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:12:01 AM by Cassie »

peri

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »

Evorel and estrodot are both oestrogen patches.  Evorel sequi (if I've remembered this correctly) is as you say 4 oestrogen only patches and then 4 with the progesterone noresthisterone.  I use evorel 50 which is an oestrogen only patch and the mirena coil for progesterone, but before that I used utrogestan progesterone.  Hope I've explained this ok x

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »

Thankyou you have  :)

whitestrand

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »

Hi. I live in Ireland and have had trouble getting Estradot 50. My pharmacy now has none. I  also have the mirena coil for progesterone. This has been very successful for me after trying many different combinations. I have now been given Evorel 50 and I'm concerned it won't work as well. Peri have you had any problems with your combination...ie bleeding? Thank you in advance :)

peri

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »

Hi whitestrand

No I haven't had any bleeding problems on this combination.  I spotted for about 4 weeks 2 weeks in after having the mirena fitted but that's now stopped.    For what it's worth I've been in on the evorel patches for a couple of years + now and have had absolutely no problems with them, they're very good x

whitestrand

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 02:34:58 PM »

Thats great to hear Peri as it was a long road trying several combinations before finding the Marina and estradot patches worked for me so was nervouse changing to the Evorel patch (or change of any kind!!) Thank you for your help ;D
Pages: [1] 2