Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: MRSA  (Read 6351 times)

Stellajane

MRSA
« on: December 26, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »

Anyone had it, or had a relative with it?

Mum's tested positive for it (she's in hospital with a chest infection). The hospital have said we can still visit if we "wear aprons and things" but we've stayed clear over Christmas as we've had a house full of family with little ones and I didn't feel it was worth the risk, and mum's dementia means she has no idea its Christmas anyway.

When do you get the all clear and is it really advisable to go visiting someone in hospital when they've got it?  It all seems so terribly slack as she's on a ward with three other old women and their visitors!

Any advice welcomed please.

Dancinggirl

Re: MRSA
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »

My understanding is that MRSA is rife everywhere - if we are basically healthy then we're not at risk but if there is an open wound or the immune system is compromised then this is when it's a problem.  In a hospital it can spread really easily.  My sister got MRSA after a car accident, ended up on life support for 4 weeks and had a lot of her gut removed to save her life.
I think most people are routinely tested before an operation these days as many people are carrying the bacteria and this will need to be treated - I believe it can live in our crevasses, nasal passages etc.
Look at the NHS website as there may be advice there.  DG x

walking the dog

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »

I'm currently been treat for mrsa which they found I had at my hysterectomy pre op assessment I need three clear test before op can go ahead had two all clears waiting for results of third. I was treat at him with body wash/shampoo throat spray nasal cream.
Dancing girls correct unless you have ab open wound or are going into hospital yourself for an operation you should be fine. 30percent of people carry it and have no idea they have it

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:50:15 PM »

Hello Stellajane.

I think prior testing for MRSA is standard for scheduled operations but for emergency admissions the best they can do is test the patient on arrival. As the bacteria are so common in the general population perhaps we should now always assume someone is infected until informed otherwise.

My husband recently had a hip replacement and  was given a nasal spray and shower gel to use for a week prior to the operation and he wasn't re tested as he was told it was unnecessary.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

If everyone visiting is gowned up and the Staff are barrier nursing - which should be in a single room!!!! - then visiting shouldn't be a problem.  However, if the patient isn't aware then keep well away.  It makes the work easier for the Staff.

At the very least there should be hand-wash at EVERY door and at the end of each bed, certainly at the sink in each Ward - I had to tell staff several times when we visited M in L to use the hand wash ……….

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »

Hello again ladies.

When my MIL was in hospital recently they did have strict rules for visiting hours and when my BIL tried to flout them he was told to go away and only come back at the appropriate time lol.

I wouldn't want to go back to the very rigid conditions of the past though. In 1954 my three year old cousin was in hospital and all visiting was actually discouraged. She didn't see her parents for six weeks and her relationship with her mother never recovered.

On a lighter note when the four of us were at MIL's nursing home yesterday she was in her usual chair in the corner of the large communal room. When we  suggested  it would be nice to sit in  the conservatory she said ' oh yes, off you go!' We set off but she stayed where she was. It clearly hadn't occurred to her to leave her seat and join us!  Makes you wonder why she thought we were there lol.

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »

Mum couldn't understand why a new mother with a prem. baby was 'allowed' to stay with her poorly son, when Mum had her tiny baby she had to leave hospital after 10 days, baby was left behind.  Mum was allowed to visit at visiting time unless they required milk  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »

Doesn't the Hospital Social Worker liaise Stellajane?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »

my experience with my mil when she was in hospital from her nursing home was that the hospital will phone the home when ready for discharge as this is her home address so to speak and the hospital will arrange patient transport back to care home The care home will not be able to access medical info over the phone on a day to day basis though.

Care homes are rife with mrsa just like hospitals and its impossible to know where its started. My mil was discharged with hospital with mrsa infected bedsores to our home without a word being said!  the district nurses said we were highly unlikely to catch it but it was a worry as it took a year for her to get the all clear.

We didn't catch it as I was tested about 6 months after she was given the all clear and I was fine.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 10:49:30 PM »

It's a common phenomenon.  When Hospitals employed their own cleaners, who kept mainly to 1 Ward to avoid cross-infection, there were few outbreaks, in 8 years I never heard of any.  Then the cleaners were out-sourced which often means that they flit from Ward to Ward as well as who knows where they are prior and after cleaning in the hospital!

The Nurses were charged with cleaning beds down between each patient, that is stripping laundry, washing down the WHOLE bed frames, washing and turning mattresses, under the beds and walls, bed-side cabinets were washed inside and out …….

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »

…… and breath?!?

Will be interested to see if my Mum is tested, she has been taken to A&E this morning.

walking the dog

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »

Just had hospital ring me I'm now mrsa free and can go on the list for hysterectomy 😊

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »

Doesn't seem so  ::) ……..

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »

No communication for you either then  >:(     [see 'my mum' thread]