Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT - the PROGESTERONE part??  (Read 2272 times)

Sparkle324

HRT - the PROGESTERONE part??
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »

Hi girls. I started HRT for the first time a few weeks ago (femoston 2/10mg) & coincidentally discovered I have hypothyroidism so also started Eltroxin 50mg on day 3 of my HRT.
Initially during the first 14 days (the oestrogen part) my energy levels increased & my mood was relxed & calm. From HRT or Eltroxin i dunno?? Anyhow im now onto the progesterone part day 5 & devil is back in the house.... im irritable & cranky but omg the pure exhaustion is worse than the fatigue i suffered with for months before any HRT or Eltroxin. My GP said i would only feel the benefits of the eltroxin after 2/3 weeks (im 17 days on it).....but my gut tells me this is the progesterone side effects...is it in my head??? I have read some say the progesterone can cause pmt like symtoms but this is awful...#HELP  :'( :'(

Hurdity

Re: HRT - the PROGESTERONE part??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »

As you have just started both new medications I would wait a while before deciding what is the problem and how you feel overall. Even for those of us who are not hypothyroid the progesterone phase makes us feel tired or fatigued - depending on the dose and frequency - as in normal pms ( sometimes worse....).

It may well turn out that you need a higher dose of the thryoid medication due to interaction with oral oestrogen especially - but I'm not an expert on thyroid and treatment. I would bear with it if you can for a while longer, and hope you feel better soon!

Hurdity x

Sparkle324

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 01:46:46 AM »

Ah thank you Hurdity, was thinking something similar but just so unsure of everything atm! I never really suffered bad PMT compared to my friends but omg last 5 days i dont even know who I am! Thanks again 4 reply & happy new year! (Eventhough iv been in bed since 10pm lol). I do hope 2017 will be better for so many of us girls struggling out there xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »

Keep a diary of how you feel as the days progress on the progesterone part and see if your body acclimatises. Many women also experience some form of pmt for a couple of days after stopping the prog part and back on the oestrogen phase - this is due to the body reversing the physiological changes that take place when we take progesterone. Known as progesterone withdrawal symptoms. However these are often very minor - but don't be alarmed if they occur, as they should disappear once the prog has left your system!

Hurdity x

Pinkfizz

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:30:11 PM »

Hi Sparkle

As a fellow thyroid suffer, I thought your doctor would have sorted that out first (I bet you were going stir crazy). It can take a few months to get the dose right and there are a lot of doctors who are not clued up with thyroid. However, if you continue to take both medications, take thyroxine first thing in the morning (1st thing before food) and HRT in the evening. My doctor said HRT does not affect throxine but it does xx