Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Missed first period  (Read 1721 times)

Cally

Missed first period
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:18:37 PM »

Hello everyone
This is my first post. I am 47 and have been experiencing some peri symptoms. My cycles have been shorter and longer. Most recently they returned to every 28/29 days and bleeding was very light. I was supposed to have my period over Christmas but it has not arrived. I am on day 34 now. I have had some cramps but no bleeding at all. I am starting to feel a bit bloated and boobs are hard and tender. My digestion seems non existant ( any food just sits there)

What is likely to happen now? Will my cycle continue as in the estrogen starting to rise until ovulation? It is very disconcerting to not have a day 1 as I chart my days and symptoms. I feel very strange about this. I thought that I would love my periods to stop but now I feel like I don't want anything to change. Im aware it could come back though. I'm definately not pregnant by the way.
So does the body just try to continue through its regular pattern? Thanks for any info
Cally

nearly50

Re: Missed first period
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »

Hi Cally

You could google STRAW +10 for some information on the staging of the menopause - can be quite useful I find, though of course everyone is different. Here's the illustration often used
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3340903/figure/F2/

I've read that once you hit the 60 days without a period mark, you're likely to hit 90 days within 0.5 - 1.5 years (though some women go straight for the 90). Once you hit the 90 days, then it is usually 1.5 - 2.3 years until your final period. Sorry don't have sources for that bit, but the information is out there. Obviously we're all different but it has been helpful for me to know what is sort of normal.

Claireylou

Re: Missed first period
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:11:40 AM »

Hi Cally  :welcomemm:

This is exactly what has happened to me this month. I'm now on day 35 of my cycle with absolutely no sign of a period starting. I too was due the week before christmas, and there were a couple of days where I did get some very mild period cramps but no bleed!??! What's that all about!?!?

I've now got a bloated tum and some pmt but I just don't feel like I'm going to start a bleed.

My digestion is non existent too. Food just sits in my tum, a bit constipated and some nausea and burps etc.

I too thought I'd welcome the cessation of periods but it just ramps up my anxiety when things don't happen like they used too.

I have no answers. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone xxx