Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks - help!  (Read 3416 times)

2cats

Bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks - help!
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »

Merry Christmas everyone,

I've been bleeding pretty heavily since 2 weeks ago last Thursday and have just finished a 4 day course of Tranxemic acid to reduce/stop the bleeding.  It did seem to work in reducing the blood flow but since I took the last dose yesterday, the bleeding has increased again and I'm getting bad cramps in my abdomen.
Being Christmas, this is quite an awkward time for this to be happening as I can't just phone the drs for advice, till Wednesday.

Should I just try and ride it out till then or go to an emergency dr (if there is one) at the hospital??

Thanks for reading this.

Dorothy

Re: Bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks - help!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 10:59:42 AM »

Did you get any advice when you were given the Tranxemic acid as to what to do if it didn't work?  Is there a walk-in centre near you or a local hospital you can visit for advice? 

2cats

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »

Hi Dorothy,

No the dr didn't say what to do if it didn't work, she just said it may take a while but i would say it is definitely having no effect since I stopped taking it.  Have phoned NHS direct this morning and I am waiting a call back to find out what to do.

My anxiety has increased due to worry of what to do and when it will stop..

Just what Christmas needed!

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »

What did they say 2cats? I have had a couple of periods which have lasted more than 20 days, I thought it was two periods running together but who knows. I skipped a period after it happened so here's hoping you have a break too. My ferritin was oretty depleted so might be worth taking iron supplements or having a blood test. Hope it stops soon

2cats

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »

Hi nearly50
So a lovely understanding GP called me back from 111, and made me an appt at the walk in GP service at my local hospital (who wasn't quite as nice...asked me if I didn't think this could wait till my own GP was available :)).  She didn't even berate me for not taking my progesterone properly and said I wasn't an idiot (as I described myself) but just trying to ensure my relationships at home weren't badly affected, which was perfectly understandable.  What a lovely 'bedside manner' she had.

Anyway, GP at hospital said I could take 4 more days and it has worked really well this time - thank God as bleeding so heavily for so long has been awful.

Spoke to my GP today and she said she can't see me any earlier than 17th so how about 'stopping HRT altogether for now' as I couldn't decide on which progesterone to try next.  Her parting words were 'you've tried practically everything (not true) and nothing seems to particularly agree with you so why not see if you're better off without it and I'll see you on the 17th?'    Thanks for your understanding Dr!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »

Well charming! I mean she sounds like she is saying that HRT is a luxury, so no point in seeing you sooner, or concerned as to how you might feel in the meantime! What progestogen did you take last and what HRT are you taking? Had you not taken any progestogen for some time so this might have been the cause of your bleeding? That is quite a longtime to wait - do you have any progestogen to take in the meantime?  Sorry I can't remember your story. At least the bleeding is stopped or slowed for now. Yes as nearly50 says do make sure you take some iron. Floradix tonic is a good one as it is gentle on the system :)

Hurdity x

2cats

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks for your reply.  Yes my GP's words made me feel like I am a lost cause!  Surely she must know that HRT needs can change over the years (as many other conditions do ie doses for blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems etc etc)?

I started on HRT in 2011 using evorel sequi - it sorted out lots for me but progesterone seemed to send me crazy.  FemSeven Sequi was good for me but patches were hopeless at sticking so used up prescription too quickly and so GP advised changing again; went on to estradot 50 with Cyclogest which I then stopped due to waxy mess on so many days of the month! Still on Estradot50 with Utrogestan but that too made me behave like a lunatic so I've been taking it sporadically this year (I'm an official idiot) but I've still had periods here and there.  I was about to try it vaginally but now the packets are out of date.

So rather than say yes to more Utrogestan and pay for a prescription I don't use, I thought I'd come back to MM to find any more options for HRT (esp progesterone).  For oestrogen I would like to use Oestrogel as my itchy belly is due to Oestrodot patches and I'm wondering if the absorption is being affected?? 

Any thoughts on latest preparations etc would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks  :)

(I've no idea whether I am still peri as GPs say they can't tell whilst I'm on HRT. )

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 11:08:01 PM »

You can still use Utrogestan if it's a little out of date - after all it's not going to be OK one week and then useless the next ( just like food really!). Mine still worked anyway and I used it for practically two years (past date) - though maybe that's a bit long after.  ::) . I have never taken utrogestan orally but side effects are known to be less when used vaginally because it does not have to go through the digestive system or the liver in such quantities.

All the options are listed under the Treatments tab/HRT preparations with the combi types listed under peri and post and then the oestrogen and progesterone types listed separately.

You will find devotees of almost everything there is - but often only those who experience problems come to the forum - the thousands that happily use all the different preparations are busy getting on with their lives!

Hurdity x

2cats

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »

Thanks Hurdity,

So if I do decide to use my Utrogestan, when is best to start it (FROM MM PAGE: 2 x 100mg daily at bedtime for 12 days per 28 days (days 15-26 inclusive))  as I've just had a 3 week period and only now does it seem to be stopping? 
It started on 8th so shouldn't I have started utrogestan on 22nd December? 

Very appreciative of your help and advice,

Confused.com
 :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 12:08:25 PM »

Sorry I can't remember where you are in menopause? If you are very late peri or post then Day 1 is pretty academic really as you don't have much of your own cycle so you could probably start any time! If you are going to take it vaginally you could try from now - but only use 100 mg for 12 days and see what happens. If you have only been using progesterone sporadically you might still have lining to shed. You will need to ride through initial side effects if you can - you may get a hit of tiredness/fatigue but nothing like when taken orally. Hopefully this will then settle over the 12 days. Maybe you will only experience slight side effects as you won't be metabolising it through the liver?

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Hurdity x