Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Contemplating HRT  (Read 7822 times)

ecn

Contemplating HRT
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »

Hi. Please can someone help me. I am 50 years old and I've been feeling ill for 6 months now. It started with a sick bug and since then I haven't felt well. I had pains under my rib cage and was feeling sick a lot of the time. I had lots of blood tests and they didn't show anything. I was then sent for a scan and everything came back clear. My muscular aches and pains continued to get worse. Some days my back, neck, sides, stomach and feet hurt.
In October I had an endoscopy which showed I had a hiatus hernia and oesophagitis. I waited ages for the biopsy results which sent my anxiety sky high. They came back clear. Since the endoscopy I have cut out all alcohol and coffee and consequently have lost weight which is also making me really anxious as I am not enjoying eating. I now always feel conscious of eating and swallowing food.
I have now started internal buzzing, cold shivers (no hot flushes) I still feel nauseas on and off and I cannot stop crying with anxiety as I am worried there is something seriously wrong with me. I feel tired most of the time and I work full time. This has been a real effort. I have a sore throat that comes and goes and I am taking Lansoprazole for the acid reflux.
My periods never used to be regular but in the last 5 years they have become more regular.
I have attended a menopause clinic and have been given Evorel Sequi patches. Very scared of starting HRT especially after reading so much information about it. Also one of the side effects is depression and that is one of the symptoms I am trying to cure. The consultant at the clinic also said that it wouldn't help with acid reflux or nausea, but I feel that if I could stop all the muscular pain then this would help the reflux.  All this doesn't help my anxiety I am really not sure what to do as I really can't believe that it is just my hormones that are making me feel this terrible. I am feeling really down about everything and not sure how much longer I can cope with this. Could there be anything else wrong with me?
Before all this started I was a perfectly happy woman with no health issues.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Contemplating HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »

Sounds familiar - sadly  ::)

:welcomemm:

As oestrogen levels drop apparently muscles may become lax = aches and pains as well as hiatus hernia.
As oestrogen levels drop, the body dries: inside and out - i.e. skin, vagina, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils ……

There are ways to ease symptoms but they don't work over-night.  For vaginal dryness, regardless of any other HRT use, a GP can prescribe either Vagifem or Ovestin1mg.  This is delivered every night for 2 weeks followed by twice weekly usage or more often if necessary.  Other dryness can be dealt with by regular moisturising.

Over-the-counter pain relief can be useful for the various aches and pains.  Acid reflux can be dealt with by i.e.
Rennies - I chew 2/3 tablets when affected.  I also try not to drink, eat or take evening medication too close to bed time as laying down can cause symptoms.  Some GPs prescribe what you are taking but patients can find side-effects, i.e. bloating and lack of relief with it.

Eating little and often might help. As will keeping a mood/food/symptom diary for 6-8 months.

It may well be hormonal effects.  It ain't known as "the Change" for nowt!  Browse round the Forum.  Make notes.

What have you read that scares you about HRT?  If it were as dangerous as some reports suggest, medics wouldn't be prescribing it  ;)

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:22:06 PM »

It's only since joining this forum that I've realised my muscle pain has been due to hormonal changes. I have spent an absolute fortune on physio, massage and oestopaths - still think an osteopath might be worth visiting but do wonder if I'm now better because I'm that bit further on.

I also spent a lot of time convinced that there was something terrible happening as I had gone from a perfectly fit, healthy person to someone with continual aches and pains which seemed to change by the day.

as CLKD says, keep a diary and see if you can work out patterns.

I take it Vitamin D and iron levels were ok when you got your bloods taken?

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »

Aw bless your heart (and welcome)

Honestly please don't panic, we've all been where you're at.  I went from a full time bookkeeper and partying weekends to a frail woman who was convinced I had a terminal illness almost overnight

I thought I had flu coming most days because of the aches and pains and yes anxiety thrown into the mix too

I can't comment on your hrt but again please don't worry yourself over what you hear about it

Your symptoms are because of falling hormones, replacing them can get you back to somewhere near who you were

Big hugs xx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »

Hi ecn

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about all your symptoms. It is good that you are getting the stomach issues sorted out separately as from what you've said there are reasons for these which are different from your menopausal/hormonal symptoms.

I don't know anything about stomach problems but I presume the advice/medication you have been given for these will gradually ease your symptoms - I do hope so?

Re menopausal symptoms - have you been told by the clinic that you are peri-menopausal? In the absence of hot flushes and with irregular periods all your life it can be difficult although at your age this would be expected ie peri-menopause. The usual rule of thumb at your age would be irregular periods combined with flushes and sweats, together with some other symptoms but women who have the Mirena coil or are taking other medication - it is not always that easy!

Re the blood tests - when you say everything was normal - did they do hormone tests eg FSH? If you have always had irregular periods this would be a helpful pointer - well confirmation  anyway. The other thing is did they test for thyroid function and if so what was your actual reading ( you can phone up and ask or get a print out). Some of your symptoms could also be caused by underactive thyroid and some women experience symptoms even while within the normal range (although weight gain is another symptom which you are not experiencing - but your stomach problems may confound this?).

Don't be scared of taking the HRT - many of us who are members of this forum take it (along with thousands of other women who never come here!) - and if you look at the information on this website you will see that the benefits outweigh the risks up to the age of approx 60: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

If you can make sure the rest of your diet is really healthy and try to get out for walks and take plenty of exercise (slowly at first if you are unused to it) which will reap benefits at this point in your life.

I do hope the HRT works for you - so do keep checking in and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »

Hello ecn and welcome to the forum.

You have certainly come to the right place and many of us here know how you feel. I certainly have the internal buzzing that you describe and feel anxious and tearful most of the time. You are not alone on your journey and I hope you find the right help as soon as possible.  Menopause is very difficult for some of us.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

ecn

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »

Hi, thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I've had my blood tested and my FSH/LH results show I am peri-menopausal. Not sure about my thyroid reading - I have all my blood test results in front of me and the only mention of thyroid is where it says "Clinical details: Not on Thyroid Tx". Is there something else the reading could be called?

I'm a healthy person generally - I eat well, exercise regularly (swimming and walking), although the swimming is an effort with my symptoms.

Thanks for the help so far

nearly50

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:22:57 PM »

ecn, mine say
serum total T3 level
serum free T4 level
serum TSH level
http://www.btf-thyroid.org/information/quick-guides/97-thyroid-function-tests gives you levels

what is your ferritin level?

ecn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:11 PM »

Hi nearly 50,

I have a serum ferritin level (XE24r) of 32 ug/L.
I have a serum TSH level (XaELV) of 2.0 miu/L.

I can't find one that says T3 or T4 but there are other serum test results of sodium, potassium, urea, creatinine, albumin, alkaline phosphate, alanine aminotransferase, bilirubin, B12 and vitamin D.

nearly50

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »

Hi again

Your ferritin level is well within the accepted range, though a lot of people seem to think it should be closer to 60 or 70 so I'm aiming for that, having started off at 10.

Maybe they didn't test T3 and T4, I also have all the others ones you've listed separately. Your TSH is about the same as mine, not that it means much to me.

I hope having a read through the forums and seeing the issues other women have with their health makes you feel a bit less anxious about it all. I keep just telling myself it won't last forever.

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »

Ecn

Your results should give ranges, if ferritin range goes to over 150, yours is lowish at 32, Drs won't consider it low but it ideally needs to be 60/80

What was your b12? X

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 07:45:23 PM »

Nearly50 we posted at the same time ! X

nearly50

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »

Nearly50 we posted at the same time ! X

Great minds and all that ;)

It has reminded me to get my iron supplements out for another wee go at them

I thought I was tested for vitamin b12 but can't see it in my results - would it say something different (sorry to hijack thread ecn)

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »

It usually says b12 and they should check folate too. x

ecn

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »

My B12 result was 442 ng/L. It says the range is 220 - 700.

Has anyone found that HRT helps with relieving nausea? Also does anyone know if Evorel Sequi patches are effective?
Pages: [1] 2