Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 1089 times)

Minnie123

HRT
« on: December 29, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »

I started taking HRT just over four months ago. All seemed to be going well.  However I have started to have a period.  Previously I had not had one for over six years.  Has anyone else experienced this. Should I discontinue or change the actual tablets to another brand?  Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 04:39:46 PM »

Minnie123 - hi and welcome to MM
Do tell us more - how old are you? What HRt are you using?
If you are on a continuous HRT ( which I assume you are) then some breakthrough bleeding is common in the first 6 months.  When you say “a period”, is this a period as you used to get in your reproductive years? OR is it just some light spotting or bleeding?
Bleeding on a conti HRT often occurs in the first few months as the body is adjusting to the hormones - your oestrogen levels have increased ( you may have been very oestrogen depleted before starting HRT) and now your womb lining is shedding a little and this should settle in time.
If you are feeling generally well then I wouldn't change anything but if the bleeding continues beyond 6 months or starts to get heavy, then you need to pop to the GP and they will probably send you for a scan.
I suspect things will settle in the next 2-3 months. DGx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »

Hi Minnie123

:welcomemm: from me too, and what Dancinggirl said :) . It may be that the brand you are taking does not contain the right balance of oestrogen and progesterone to prevent the bleeding.

Hurdity x