Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's the point on bread sauce??  (Read 7293 times)

breeze

What's the point on bread sauce??
« on: December 24, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »

Just asking?

Does anyone actually like it? :sick02:

littleminnie

Re: What's the point on bread sauce??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 01:28:56 PM »

Lol.  Never tried it.

bramble

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »

Hate it. Always reminds me of slops I used to give to the dog!

dazned

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »

I love it !   MMMMM

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »

It's my families favourite bit of Christmas dinner.

I make my own from scratch milk bought to boil and a whole onion and bay leaves left to infuse for a few hours , then white bread crumbs added a few hours later.

Reheated tomorrow. 😊

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 02:56:32 PM »

Forget butter and pepper also

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »

I love it and My Xmas Day wouldn't be complete without it!  :). I get a big onion, peel it and poke loads of cloves in it.  PUt in saucepan of milk with a big bay leaf and bring to boil. Remove from heat, put lid on to allow flavours to soak in. I make some fresh breadcrumbs and add these later and add salt and pepper and some fresh cream. Delicious!  Would never eat packet bread sauce though. Had it once at a function and knew it was from a packet.

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »

Never tried it myself, but really doesn't appeal. Mind you until recently didn't like oatmeal stuffing or cranberry sauce.  Having both tomorrow.  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 05:41:48 PM »

"What's the point of bread sauce?"  Seriously?!!!!!   :o  You are asking the wrong question - you should be asking "What's the point of a turkey dinner?"  The answer, of course, is to provide a suitable backdrop for the bread sauce, which is the main event  ;D

(Oh, and in case you hadn't worked it out from the above, yes, I do like bread sauce  ;D  )

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »

I love bread sauce myself   ;D

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 07:14:48 PM »

:-X:sick02:  ;D  what's the point of a turkey …….. they were grown for Thanksgiving  ::).  Beef was the main C.mas meal for years ………

We have pheasants.  The others enjoy bread sauce and stuffing as well as white sauce over their pudding with brandy  :o

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 07:23:18 PM »

I've just been reading up about bread sauce and it's been around since medieval times when they realised  that stale bread thickened white sauce very nicely.

I love it cold the next day with cold meats and salad.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »

Being the eldest child and considered sensible I always seemed to land the task of making the breadcrumbs for the stuffing and bread sauce. I can still remember grazing my knuckles! It seems to be an old traditional 'trimming' to the Christmas meal that you either did or didn't have. I love it, and eat it cold too, it moistens up a turkey sandwich a treat. DIL had never seen it when she came to ours for the first time .. but Christmas dinners are like that aren't they?

OH's family had a tradition of serving cold gravy on Boxing Day which sounds revolting but was actually like a very rich sauce which was absolutely scrumptious on the side of cold cuts. In our family we also served butter beans with our turkey dinner - never ever heard of anyone else doing that. Its the memories of these peculiar traditions that makes the season so special to look back on now.

And yes PF - packet breadsauce doesn't hit the spot. We had some in our local carvery last week and it was completely tasteless! Done properly its a lovely savoury white sauce - I don't prefer it to cranberry, I now like that equally - but cranberry was a complete unknown to me in my childhood.

I've never heard of butter beans with turkey either.  I lived in Leicester for several years and there they have a tradition of eating pork pie for breakfast on Xmas Day and then they'd have a late lunch maybe at 3pm.   I thought this was most strange because in my family we had a very light breakfast as we ate around 1 pm. I also know lots of people who have massive fry ups on Xmas Day but we never do that as I start cooking very early.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 08:18:29 PM »

Yorkshire Pud was eaten as a starter in order to fill us up B4 the scant main meal  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 08:51:14 PM »

Oh yes, crispy edges with good gravy?
Pages: [1] 2