Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: how long for hrt to work its magic  (Read 3150 times)

Yammy1

how long for hrt to work its magic
« on: December 21, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »

Hi all just wondering how long it takes to feel 'normal' after starting hrt, I take Estradot 50mg , has hysterectomy some 4 years ago and it;'s mostly  the anxiety and mood swings that are getting me so down. I am only taking hrt three and a half weeks, so maybe i'm expecting miracles.I really just want to enjoy Christmas with my family, I hate feeling so low and angry all the time

Tinkerbell

Re: how long for hrt to work its magic
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 03:58:28 PM »

The symptoms that I started HRT for were VA and awful palpitations at night. Within a few days the palpitations calmed down but the VA took far longer.
So I Feel for some symptoms improvement is quicker than for others.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »

Yammy1 - we are all different and how we respond to HRT will vary greatly.  If you were already very oestrogen depleted then it can take longer to see improvements.  Also you are hoping to reduce meno symptoms that are tricky to control and it can take some months for anxiety and low mood to improve.  Are you taking plenty of Vitamin D, Magnesium and Omega 3 ?  Do you practice CBT or Mindful Meditation?
It can often involve a range of strategies alongside HRT to really get the anxiety and low mood under control.
Give it more time - early days yet.  DG xxx

soniad

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »

Hi Yammy1,

I started on a very low dose (25 mcg)  and gradually built up to about 43 mcg (I snip a little bit off a 50 mcg patch).

Initially I felt much worse and then things started to settle down after about 2 weeks. I would say it took about 2 months for me to start to really feel the benefits and it got better and better after that.

I have been on HRT nearly 4 months now and am feeling great.

Give it at least 3 months before you make a decision either way.

Take care

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 09:01:39 PM »

Hi Yammy1

I can't remember how old you are? Also did you keep your ovaries?

I started HRT with a 50 mcg (estradot) patch in late peri-menopause and have been on this dose more or less ever since (apart from the odd reduction and increase or cessation here and there) for the past nearly 10 years. It worked like a charm for me on flushes and sweats - and quite quickly too. it depends how bad your symptoms were to start with and whether you kept your ovaries. Also if you know how far into menopause you are ( difficult without a womb!).

If you are still getting mood swings it implies you still have a cycle going on maybe?

Try not to worry about it over Christmas and banish those bad feelings and concentrate on enjoying yourself with your family if you can - and we can talk more afterwards :)

Hurdity x

Yammy1

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:38 PM »

Thank you all for your advice and kind words. I kept my ovaries and i'm 53 next month, I will stick with hrt and give it time. I guess i'm just feeling sorry for myself, my hiatus hernia is acting up so  in a lot of pain and discomfort, but I know it will pass. hope you all have a very Happy Christmas, it's great to have this site to turn to and chat :)