Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VA Recovery & Variable Symptoms  (Read 8551 times)

Kkay

Re: VA Recovery & Variable Symptoms
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »

This is all so helpful. I went into POF at 42 and was a mess until I found Estrogel. That was ok for 8 years until I was advised by my doctor to switch to Tibolone (Livial). VA surfaced with a venegance and I'm at my wit's end. I'm back on estrogel and vagifem twice a week but its not working yet.

I'm new to the site and can't figure out how to find the thread you mentioned on VA - "The burning something".
 Help.

Annie0710

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »

Try In the search bar typing 'the burning club '

X

ancient runner

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »

I don't see it as a weakness at all, either for myself or others. I suppose I've thought that while local works, go for local. When I was prescribed the Femoston, the VA had been dreadful but improved a little (as it does) and then some swab results showed up that that I'd had raging thrush (not the usual symptoms). When I treated that everything was fine for a bit - but have had to treat it several times in the last year.
It makes me happy that the pills are there.  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »

KKay - do a reload?  i.e. using the Vagifem every night for 2 weeks, sometimes the vaginal tissues need re-plumping
;-).  If after 2 weeks symptoms are still niggling, continue nightly for another week. 

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »

Kkay

:welcomemm:

The thread is called The Burning Club - and it is in the "Private Lives" section:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html

I'll bump it for you :)

Hurdity x

linfit

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »

linfit - Hi and welcome.  Vaginal atrophy doesn't clear up exactly but the Vagifem should help to restore and maintain a healthier urogenital area.
You haven't told us how old you are or where you are in the menopause? What VA symptoms are you getting?
If you have had VA for some time then it will take longer to get relief from symptoms and many women need full systemic HRT alongside to really tackle the problem.  Most of us who get bad VA do find that a range strategies ar needed to help keep things comfortable.  Vaginal moisturisers e.g. Sylk can really help and some basic things like never using scented washes or shampoo near the ‘lady bits'  etc.
I use Sylk at least once a day and Vagifem 2-3 times a week and I will have to maintain this regime for the rest of my life if I wish to remain comfortable - I'm 60 now and have had VA since my early 40s!!!
There are lots of threads on this forum that cover VA and other urogenital issues so do a search. Do increase Vagifem to 3 times a week to see if that helps and start using some Sylk or Replens or YES vaginal moisturisers alongside.
Dg xxx

HI
Thanks for this. I am 53 years old. I am post menopausal, had last period over three years ago. I haven't had a hysterectomy so was given Estorel patches a month ago and as I said have been usinf vagifem since September. First got VA symptoms in August this year, hadn't heard of it before. I have had some improvement since Sept but still not recovered. As I am learning, its more complicated than I fisrt thought or was told. I am confused as my GPs dont seem to have the gist of what to do and am being told different things.

Am I right that I cannot take progesteron or testosterone as I still have ovaries? I see others on here say they are using them? Sorry if I seem ignorant but learning as I go. What do you think should be my next step?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »

As both hormones are part of our 'normal' make-up ? what does it say on the leaflet inside the box of HRT?

R U using the vaginal atrophy treatment regularly as this is totally different to other types of HRT?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »

linfit - if you haven't had a hysterectomy then you will need to use progesterone. You say you are using Estorel patches - can you have a look at the box and tell us exactly what is in these patches - they may well contain oestrogen and progesterone - if they don't contain progesterone and you still have a womb then you need to go back to your GP and get the right type of HRT. You need a HRT which includes progesterone to protect your womb lining from building up. Testosterone can help with libido but many women don't need this (it can bring unwanted side effects) and it won't necessarily help VA - it's oestrogen that is needed for urogenital problems.
I'm afraid it takes time to get things under control - GPs are rarely up to speed about VA problems - this site has been a great help to me over all this, so I try to pass on my experience.
DG x

linfit

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »

As both hormones are part of our 'normal' make-up ? what does it say on the leaflet inside the box of HRT?

R U using the vaginal atrophy treatment regularly as this is totally different to other types of HRT?

Hi
It's Evorel Conti and is both estrogen and progeterone.
I am using vagifem twice weekly, since September. In your experience is it usual to have good days and bad days? When does it level out?

linfit

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »

linfit - if you haven't had a hysterectomy then you will need to use progesterone. You say you are using Estorel patches - can you have a look at the box and tell us exactly what is in these patches - they may well contain oestrogen and progesterone - if they don't contain progesterone and you still have a womb then you need to go back to your GP and get the right type of HRT. You need a HRT which includes progesterone to protect your womb lining from building up. Testosterone can help with libido but many women don't need this (it can bring unwanted side effects) and it won't necessarily help VA - it's oestrogen that is needed for urogenital problems.
I'm afraid it takes time to get things under control - GPs are rarely up to speed about VA problems - this site has been a great help to me over all this, so I try to pass on my experience.
DG x

Thanks
I am on Evorel conti patches, both estrogen and progesterone. I have been on them since November and been using vagifem twice a week since September. Is it usual to have flare ups, good days and then not so good? I have asked others when it levels off and if/when I may feel better. I have had some improvement but not right and can still be difficult day to day. Not sure where to go next? Should I ask to increase vagifem or do I need oral hrt? I have started using Replens too.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »

linfit - VA is usually an ongoing problem and there will probably be uncomfortable times on and off forever.  If you get burning in the urethra then this will benefit from drinking more water and avoiding too much caffein, fruit juices or anything acidic. Using vaginal moisturiser/lubricant is essential.  DG x

Kkay

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »

Thank you all, for replying to my query; I eventually found the Burning Club thread..I read on my cell phone and sometimes searching using the search bar does not work; I don't know why. But it did show up in the end.

This site is a life-saver. You wonderful ladies who are sharing experiences re this benighted condition have my eternal gratitude.

Hurdity

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »

Hi linfit

By flare-ups do you mean from VA symptoms? If so then you may well need more Vagifem. Did you do the 14 day loading period of using it every day followed by twice a week thereafter? If not then I suggest you do this ( will need extra from the doc) as this is recommended on first use. As you are taking systemic HRT then the two weeks daily use may be sufficient - but some women need to do a re-load from time to time ( ie repeat the 14 day daily application of Vagifem), and some women take more than the twice a week dose ie 3 or 4 times or more - although this is not ideal (in terms of intimacy!). Also it can take a while for VA to improve if you are long post-menopause.

Do you feel well on the Evorel conti otherwise?

I linked to the Burning Club thread in my earlier post below to Kkay to save searching!!!

Hurdity x

linfit

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »

Hi linfit

By flare-ups do you mean from VA symptoms? If so then you may well need more Vagifem. Did you do the 14 day loading period of using it every day followed by twice a week thereafter? If not then I suggest you do this ( will need extra from the doc) as this is recommended on first use. As you are taking systemic HRT then the two weeks daily use may be sufficient - but some women need to do a re-load from time to time ( ie repeat the 14 day daily application of Vagifem), and some women take more than the twice a week dose ie 3 or 4 times or more - although this is not ideal (in terms of intimacy!). Also it can take a while for VA to improve if you are long post-menopause.

Do you feel well on the Evorel conti otherwise?

I linked to the Burning Club thread in my earlier post below to Kkay to save searching!!!

Hurdity x

Thank you. Yes, I did mean flare ups of VA. I did 14 days at the beginning in Sept and have done twice weekly since then. I will try the use of vagifem more frequently. I feel OK on the Evorel conti otherwise, no obvious negative effects though I am tearful though this might be due to the stress and I have found being diagnosed with this very hard and with managing the discomfort etc. Thanks for the link.
Pages: 1 [2]