Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't decide what to do?  (Read 3812 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Can't decide what to do?
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »

Since July, when I started on Prof Studd's regime of 4 pumps + testim gel + 100mg Utrogestan x 7 days, I have definitely improved a lot compared to the very dark place I was in back in the Spring. I also think starting 100mg of Sertraline back in June has really helped, too.

I haven't taken any Utrogestan since mid September, because it really exacerbated my PMS and I also suffered nasty withdrawal after stopping. So my GP suggested I only take Utro every 3 months as I still have a regular, light monthly period anyway.

Since August I have had a return of my dreadful PMS anxiety/depression every month, and I'm back in a very dark place for up to a week.

This month was the worst yet. I felt dreadful, so anxious, so very low, just sobbing all the time. And it lasted nearly 2 weeks. It was Hell. I didn't dare take any Utro, even though I was due to, because I was frightened it would make me feel even worse. In desperation I contacted Prof Studd who recommended Zoladex + add back Livial.

My period 'should' have arrived 8 days ago, but didn't. Coincidentally I suddenly felt much better 8 days ago, and have felt fine ever since. But still no period, and no sign of it either + my tummy looks much less bloated, and my boobs feel a bit smaller.

Don't quite know what is happening? My last dozen periods have been getting progressively lighter and lighter, and only lasting 2 days. My period last month was just spotting.

I don't know whether to still go ahead with the Zoladex injections now? Or wait and see? I know if I don't have the injection, I am going to have brave taking Utro at some point in the next few weeks anyway, especially if my period doesn't arrive.

Just don't want to go ahead with the Zoladex, if (maybe) my cycle is finally shutting down anyway, and my periods might have stopped.

Would welcome any input.............

Pam Madra

Re: Can't decide what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:07:12 PM »

I am perimenopause and have been on livial just recently. However my gynae did not prescribe zoladex injections. My periods are lighter to and bit irregular as well. so maybe just ask Dr Studd if you would be fine just taking livial and see how you go. Keep posted

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »

Hi Pam

I seem to be stupidly sensitive to hormonal fluctuations, and 4 pumps of gel doesn't seem able to fully control it, so I really doubt that just Livial on its own will do the job?

But I'm a bit scared to have the injections incase the Livial doesn't provide me with enough oestrogen?

Aaaaarrggghhhhh. I hate being indecisive.

Pam Madra

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »

yes fully understand and worst thing is that we do not know how much of what and what dose is good for us. I think just try something and maybe will help. Maybe you are about to finish with your periods and your hormones maybe more stable now. We can just hope and God bless

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »

Oh GypsyRoseLee - it is so difficult isn't it? You cannot predict what will happen to your body so you can only go with recommendations coupled with your own feelings.

I am sorry I can't advise you what to do - but the Zoladex injections are reversible so that if it is not OK then you can think again? What is Studd's experience of other women in a similar position - has the Livial ( at a higher dose) been sufficient for them? if your hormones no longer fluctuate ( due to the Zoladex) then maybe you will be on an even keel and not suffer in the same way?

I do hope you manage to work out what to do and it works!

Hurdity x

Pam Madra

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »

maybe higher dose of tibolone Livial could help. Check with dr Studd and see what his suggestions are.

Salad

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »

Hope you don't mind me jumping in :)
Just wondering about the fluctuations and whether you have tried patches instead of the gel. When I used gel after a while I was very unstable - high dose (4 pumps) applied in the morning and symptoms back by 3-4 pm. It turned out that I absorbed the gel too quickly leading to super high blood level then crashed down which led to symptoms returning. I changed to patches and reduced my dose to 50-75 (trimmed patch)  ;D

Just a thought x

donnacrichton

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »

If you are in any doubt delay it just incase. I have went down that road and my god it is not easy. My own system wouldn't shut down either and still jumped in. I'm 18 months in an scared to stop it now even though my own kees  jumping in. You can always go ahead if things change x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:30:07 PM »

Hi Donna

My script for Zoladex + Livial is waiting for me to collect. But I am still undecided.

After that nasty 2 week dip a couple of weeks ago, my mood suddenly picked up and I have felt fine for the last 10 days. But my period hasn't arrived. It is over 10 days late, and I have never been this late before.

Because I have been feeling fine again, I had decided to delay the Zoladex, and just try taking 100mg Utro for 7 days from Jan 1st, to perhaps bring on a bleed.

My thinking was that with my period not arriving, maybe FINALLY my cycle is stopping, so might not need Zoladex?

But last night I started to feel a bit on edge again, and today some of the anxiety is back. Still no sign of a period though.

Just SO undecided.

You say your Zoladex journey hasn't been easy, but would you say overall they have been an improvement? Have they lessened the mood swings at all?

Pam Madra

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 08:40:35 PM »

It is so hard to decide what to do. If your periods are late then maybe you might stop and see what you feel like before it. Maybe some more days but then having to live with it is also hard. My livial has not kicked in yet. I am about to have periods and feel very bad at the moment. It is such a  struggle. I think i have estrogen dominance with low progestrone to balance it especially right now feeling so sleepy, foggy mind and  anxious

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »

Thanks Hurdity

It's so frustrating, as I'm usually so decisive. If you see my post to Donna, my period is over 10 days late, and zero sign of it coming either. Stomach is flatter than it has been for months, and boobs seem to have shrunk a bit too. Yet I'm on 4 pumps...

My mood has been fine again these last 10 days, but can feel I'm starting to dip again, feel anxious and edgy. Heart rate is up too.

Gah!

I'm just genuinely scared that Zoladex might absolutely floor me to the point I can't function. Have no reason to think that, but I do just the same.

Have no indication from Prof Studd about other patients he has treated with Zoladex. His secretary told me he rarely uses it, but that might just be that he doesn't personally do them, just advises someone's GP to administer them?

All he said in his email was that Zoladex 'was a good option' for me. Hardly conclusive.

If only I had a flipping crystal ball!

Pam Madra

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 09:44:09 PM »

Hi girls I have been following you. A question i have is why are you told to have zoledex by doctor Studd. A doc here in sydney who works with him has asked me to only have tibilone though I am peri menopausal at the moment. I think in 5 days i should have my periods but then they are all over the place. Since terrible last night with high anxiety and disturbed sleep I am thinking maybe as I approach period time my estrogen dominance or lack of progestrone is causing these surge in anxiety. So maybe I should keep a record and ask the doctor about adding progestrone to it. Just a thought like you all. Just wish there was one magical answer and knew when periods are stopping or what is the pattern with them. I know my post does not help much at all. keep me posted what is happening

Chi chi

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »

I just recently asked prof studd if I could try tibilone as I just don't see any improvements. My libido has gone, my moods been low for a few weeks now with awful jittery anxiety, not much appetite, aches and pains etc etc.
He suggested upping my testosterone to make a tube last 4 days instead of 5 and sticking to 4 pumps of estrogel but I just don't feel this would have made any difference. Eventually he agreed I could try the tibilone but didn't mention zoledex at all? He's prescribed me 2.5mg.
He said he doesn't usually prescribe it ( although had just prescribed it to another patient) as there's an increased risk of stroke that's why it's not licensed in America?

He didn't really give me any other information and before I had chance to ask he simply said bye and put the phone down  ???

Even though I asked I'm actually quite nervous of starting it.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 09:03:49 PM »

Hi chi chi

I wonder if I was the other patient he had prescribed it for?

I actually suggested Zoladex to him, and he replied it 'would be a good option' for me, but I would need Livial as add back HRT. My GP is ready to go ahead, but I am so scared it might make me feel worse?

I agree, his emails are VERY brief.

We'll have to hold each other's hands if we start Livial.

Chi chi

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »

Hi GRL,
I'm also scared I will feel worse but I'm like that with all meds now 🙄 Did he tell you to carry on with the testim? He told me to continue the gels for a week once I start the tibilone then stop them, I can't see testosterone mentioned in the tibilone description??

While I was pushing to try it he did say that the gels and hormones were the best treatment out there, kind of questioning why I would want anything inferior? Was he like that with you?

I'll prob start in the new year, there never seems to be a good time to try/start new meds but as it's Christmas and my daughter is actually due to give birth on Christmas Day I think I'll wait  :o

When do you plan to start?

X
Pages: [1] 2