Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hot buffet ideas  (Read 5964 times)

babyjane

Hot buffet ideas
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »

Our DD is catering for my 60th birthday and I think a hot buffet might be nice as people will have been driving.

I would really like some ideas of uncomplicated things to suggest that will not take a lot of preparation as she is not a natural cook, bless her.

I can't think beyond jacket potatoes, chicken portions and sausages  ::) My post christmas/new year/meno brain doesn't want to play at the moment.

Annie0710

Re: Hot buffet ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »

If you can round up a few slow cookers it will be so easy to have them kept at a good temp for guests to keep coming back to

Chilli, curry, lasagne in slow cookers are fab with jacket potatoes x

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:56:05 AM »

2 lovely ideas already  :thankyou:  :)

I have to remember that there are vegetarians and children attending also  :-\

It isn't imminent so time to consider all suggestions  :)

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »

A veggie chilli? I have made a good one recently which included parsnip, carrot and celery. It was so good that I made it again a week later.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »

So easy to do veggie options in slow cookers.  If you are on Facebook there's fab slow cooker groups who do what I suggested at lots of gatherings

X

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »

this is really helpful  ;D Katejo would you be prepared to share your vegetarian chilli recipe?

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 04:21:59 PM »

this is really helpful  ;D Katejo would you be prepared to share your vegetarian chilli recipe?

I haven't got it written down because it is my own creation. I can list you the ingredients but the quantities are only for 2/3 portions

They are as follows:

1 onion
1 large carrot
1 parsnip
approx 2-3 sticks of celery

saute them together with the chilli powder for about 5-8 mins. Then add 1 can/carton of chopped tomatoes and about 200 ml/ quarter pint of vegetable stock (stock cube) depending on how much liquid you like

Simmer gently (approx 20 mins) until veg are softening and then add 1 can of kidney beans (rinsed). I often stir spinach in at the end.

i eat it with grated cheese on top and with jacket potato, tortilla chips/crisps or garlic bread.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »

yummmmmmm   :thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »

Couldn't everyone bring a pud too?  Steamed with treacle >hands over plate< ;-). or custard.

Keep away from pre-cooked/cooled rice dishes as they can be harborers of nasties!  :o !

Have a look at a buffet in your local Pub. one Sunday to C what is on offer?  Because I am allergic to onions I can't eat curries etc. unless made at home. 

Maybe to keep it really simple, offer cooked/cooled chippolatas (veggie and meat which can be cooked the day before) to add to a plate with a baked spud, butter, cheese, beans …… When we went to a Barn Dance years ago, the cost of a ticket included the above.

Baked beans can be heated quickly so initially a large pot gently bubbling which can be added to.  Potatoes keep hot for hours ……… we have also added chilly powder to beans if anyone wants to spice them up a bit, they can then add as much as they like.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »

yummmmmmm   :thankyou:
Glad you like the idea. Also add a bit of ground black pepper. Forgot to mention it. You can of course vary the veg. I have used aubergine and courgettes before.

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 07:58:41 PM »

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

coldethyl

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 10:23:37 PM »

I made this for my 50th buffet.

Allow two chipolata sausages per person

Brown sliced onions in large pan with thinly sliced garlic till they soften - I tend to use three onions plus 3 cloves garlic to one large pan mix - then add your sausages and brown slightly along with a sliced, skinned chorizo ring - slice red peppers into chunks or rings and add to pan along with heaped tablespoon of paprika - stir to coat everything then add two boxes or tins of chopped tomatoes, a good squirt of tomato purée and a chicken stock cube made up with boiling water to cover contents of pan. Season with black pepper. Cover . Simmer till veg and meat cooked through. Reheats well. You can throw in a tin of potatoes too to make a meal in a pot. Add carrots if you like as well to make it go further.
Sorry not exact quantities but I sort of cook by eye and scale up or down on numbers .

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 09:57:18 AM »

:yes: :gym: