Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HELP SWITCHING TO NEW HRT  (Read 2408 times)

Jancan

HELP SWITCHING TO NEW HRT
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »

Hi All

I have not been on the site in a long time as things have been fairly smooth menopause wise. I have been on Evorel Conti for about 18months after changing from separate Evorel with Mirena Coil. From the early part of the year I have been feeling increasingly unwell and totally disconnected from everything - have no interest in anything at all. I started sweating badly, particularly on my head. My doctor, who is great felt that I was probably getting depressed and after testing I was low on Vit D (which can cause sweaty head) and iron. Took supplements and agreed to up very small dose of anti depressant I was already on that keeps me on an even keel. I thought I was improving.

I had to have an operation mid November so had to come off HRT a month before. Flushing, sweating etc started to return. After the operation I thought I would persevere without the HRT to see if I could cope but things have very quickly gone downhill with insomnia, intense sweating/flushing bouts when I almost feel like I am going to faint or throw up and total non interest in anything including Christmas! My daughter happened to mention that she noticed when she had been on certain contraception that she totally lost interest in life and so I finally realised it could be the HRT (or lack of it) that was causing my problems. I had no idea that it could stop working or may need changing.

My question therefore  - is there an HRT similar to Evorel Conti which may be suitable or advisable to try if Evorel is not working. I know this may be a silly question as everyone is different but thought there may be some advice out there. I was originally put on patches to bypass my liver as I was on Rheumatoid drugs at the time which I came off but have now just restarted in injectable form so patches probably preferable. Please help as I feel I am going mad. I am off work at the moment after operation but want to go back after Christmas but am starting to dread the thought of entering the workplace in the state I am in.

Than

Jan

Dancinggirl

Re: HELP SWITCHING TO NEW HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:50:20 AM »

Hi and welcome back
Reading through your post carefully, my first thought is that you should have a Mirena again with either an oestrogen patch or Oestrogel.  You would also be able to increase the amount of oestrogen to control flushes etc without increasing progesterone.
The Mirena gives progesterone more directly to where it is needed without the heavy side effects that progesterone can give when used more systemically through pills and patches. Progesterone (particularly taken continuously) can give a more sedative effect and result in a detached and low mood.
So why not go back to what worked before? 
Don't underestimate the recovery time for any operation - take care. 
DG x