Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Dry mouth and the menopause  (Read 5460 times)

Anna02

• First Flush
Dry mouth and the menopause
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:03:13 PM »

Has any one experienced a dry mouth as part of their menopause symptoms and what did you do about it? I've been having episodes of dry mouth, usually starting on day 26 of my cycle (on Elleste duet 1 mg with a monthly "period").It usually lasts for a few days then goes away again but this this I have had it continuously for 25 days and am miserable with it- really struggling to sleep and my hot flushes are back. I am 54 and wondering if I need to change my HRT as I don't know when my natural menopause will occur.
Anna

dahliagirl

Re: Dry mouth and the menopause
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:05:30 PM »

I started with dry eyes in my 40s (couldn't wear contacts) and find my mouth is drier and I need to remember to make sure I do not have food stuck anywhere as it can stay there for ages otherwise.  Visits to the dentist/hygienist are important.

I am on full hrt but I don't know if it would be worse without.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »

There are over-the-counter pastilles that can ease dry mouth, speak to your local Pharamcist.  You probably need to speak to your Dental Surgeon or GP to make sure it isn't something that needs 'treatment' ……

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:34:09 PM »

I still go through dry mouth phases (and lips)

I use Vaseline for my lips and chew sugar free gum for mouth

Still got dry eye at night every single night x

Meg

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:22:59 PM »

I have noticed the dry mouth thing over the last several months.  I am now 62 and have been menopausal since 50 with continuing symptoms.  The dry mouth, I have really been aware of, as said, for the last few months.  Must be due to fall of oestrogen. Another rotten symptom!  A lady who I knew was always chewing gum but I dont fancy doing that.

Meg

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:51:27 PM »

Dryness is a symptom of the menopause.  I have dry eyes and dry mouth.  Last time I went for an eye test, the optician expressed concern at the dryness of my eyes until I said I was going through the change - she said she would expect that level of dryness from someone who was menopausal.

allisonragland218

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »

Having problems with dry mouth is hard. I started having this problem recently after taking medications for my weak heart. It's very painful and it makes life so much harder because I can't even enjoy my food, it's unfair, isn't it?
I have tried many products that might help with my dry mouth, but none of them seem to be working. It's frustrating. You would have thought that something like this would have easily been fixed but sadly it seems like pharmacists and drug companies aren't as reliable as I thought they were.
Luckily after some research, I came across coconut oil pulling. It uses natural coconut oil and it came with a lot of recommendations; it was also very effective for me. This might be the help we need.
Please, if you are suffering from dry mouth problems complete this survey: https://oilpulling.laurennaturals.com/survey
I assure you this will help.