Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What's the science with exhaustion during menopause?  (Read 4028 times)

Noheroicsplease

What's the science with exhaustion during menopause?
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »

I'm constantly tired and yet very healthy and fit. I've not had a period since March and don't expect another one. I don't have night sweats but I do wake up a fair bit. But even so, I go to bed really early.

Just curious why hormone imbalance brings exhaustion?

renee

Re: What's the science with exhaustion during menopause?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »

Hi,

I'm struggling at the moment with extreme fatigue and joint pain. I was 7 months free of my period but their back too!!

I think it's just highs and lows of our hormones to be honest. Like a roller coaster  ;D

I'm accepting now that little naps and just lying on top of my bed with a book etc is quiet acceptable.....it's taken me a few years to accept that trying to push myself even harder just makes the symptoms worse!

I'm taking Berocca and Omega 3.

Take care xx

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »

Don't know, but it's definitely hormone related.  Whenever I have my pill break, I just feel completely exhausted and want to sleep 24 hours a day.  Slept most of yesterday and didn't wake up till 11.30 this morning!  Restarted the pill last night, so hopefully, by the time I go back to work tomorrow, I should be able to stay awake...or at least semi-awake!

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:01:47 PM »

I found a noticeable difference after taking vit D for six weeks.  I was low at the time.  Vitamin D is needed for the thyroxin that has entered the cell to connect to the receptors and regulate the cell's metabolism.  Therefore, if there is not enough around, you will get sort of low thyroxine-like symptoms.

Unfortunately, it did not turn me into that high-energy wonder woman I aspired to be, but it did take away the can't-be-arsed-with-anything feeling, which was a huge blessing at the time.  If I stop taking it, then all my aches and pains come back, particularly around my neck.

It is impossible to get enough from the sun in the winter in this country as the angle of the sun to the atmosphere does not allow the right wavelengths through, so worth taking over the winter.  In the summer, you need about 20 minutes exposure a day - so plenty fresh air and exercise will help you store up vit D for the winter.  Then lots of sardines, herrings, salmon - Scandi Christmas stuff  :)

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »

That's interesting - my VIt D levels are good. I had them tested recently. It hasn't made much of a difference!

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »

Well, then, my other pet theory is adrenalin  ;D  (no research to link to - it is just my experience)

Even when I am not going through phases of jumping every time the phone rings, I find it very hard to relax - my muscles are rigid a lot of the time.  I am sure this contributes to feeling fatigued, both from coping with the adrenalin surges and from the tight muscles.  I am sure it also contributes to the aching too.

I have been like that since I came off the pill (combined).  It may be menopause, or it may be that I no longer have a large dose of progestogen three weeks out of four.

When I notice, I try hard to remember my yoga breathing and to relax my shoulders, jaw and diaphragm.  Some people like to run it off.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:42 PM »

Crashing fatigue, I remember it well.  My Mum would sit down and drop off to sleep really suddenly …… no explanation then she would wake after a couple of hours and 'get on'.  I had dreadful tiredness during my menstruating years but can't remember where in the cycle. 

Make sure that you remain hydrated and try eating regularly.  Keep a mood/food/symptom diary to see if this has a pattern for you?

kiltgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »

Every time I sit down with my DD to watch a film at the moment, I end up missing the whole thing and wake up at the end...never used to be the sort who fell asleep easily...now it's all I want to do, and sore body, feels like wading through mud...

How can a person suddenly feel so old and tired  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »

HORMONES!  It's like wading through treacle sometimes, however: listen to your body!  When it wants to sleep, let it.

kiltgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »

HORMONES!  It's like wading through treacle sometimes, however: listen to your body!  When it wants to sleep, let it.

getting quite good at sleepwalking at work, not sure I'm very effective or convincing at the moment though! Say it gets better...

kiltgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:19 PM »

Every time I sit down with my DD to watch a film at the moment, I end up missing the whole thing and wake up at the end...never used to be the sort who fell asleep easily...now it's all I want to do, and sore body, feels like wading through mud...

How can a person suddenly feel so old and tired  :'(
Kiltgirl, it's a running joke that I never see a film after the opening titles, I've been like it for decades!  What's so frustrating is I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat but can I get a proper nights sleep?? 

S x

That's so frustrating...I try to watch an episode of something out of one eye on my little phone propped against my pillow to distract myself from the fact that I really want to get to sleep, if I actually try to stay awake to watch it I'm asleep before it's halfway through...