Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello coming off Elleste Duet advice please  (Read 4479 times)

CathD

Hello coming off Elleste Duet advice please
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »

Hi I'm new to the group. I am 57 and have been on Elleste for 12 years, more recently Elleste Duet Conti with no bleeds. It suits me down to the ground and to me HRT has made me feel normal. However my GP says I have been on HRT too long and should start to come off so for the past 2 months I have been taking a tablet every other day. I have noticed on the days I don't take it I feel tired and not myself but fine on the days I take it. I just wondered if anyone could tell me what their experience of coming off HRT has been? Thanks in anticipation.

Cazikins

Re: Hello coming off Elleste Duet advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »

Hi CathD &  :welcomemm:

I have reduced my HRT in the last year or so (very gradually).
I am on ultra low dose Femoston conti (Estradiol 0.5mg, Dydrogesterone 2.5mg).
I am now down to 1 tablet every other day.
I am a bit more tired but no hot flushes to worry about. If I cut down anymore then I get tearful & get anxiety attacks.

This is my choice not my docs (I am 59)  but I feel I need to leave my menopause behind & try to move on.

If you have felt great on HRT & you are only 57 I can't quite understand your docs advice  :-\ :-\ but I know other members will be along tomorrow to comment more.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Cazikins x

Hurdity

Re: Hello coming off Elleste Duet advice please
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »

Hi CathD

:welcomemm: from me too!

Notwithstanding Cazikin's experience - your comment "However my GP says I have been on HRT too long and should start to come off "  stuck out. And I agree with what she says - she couldn't understand your doc's comment as you are still fairly young. I'm in my 60's and still on it....as are others on here!

Your doc is quite wrong to tell you this! It should be your decision as to whether and if so when you come off HRT provided your are aware of the risks and accept them. The NICE Guidelines produced in November 2015 did not give any stopping time or age.

You might like to have a look at this summary information on risks and benefits of HRT:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/benefit.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

....and here where the risks and benefits are balanced - you will see that aged under 60 the benefits are thought to exceed the risks, and between 60 and 70 they are equal:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

If your symptoms have returned and you are not happy with this then do not come off them - simple as that - but you will need to make sure your doc knows you understand the risks and have chosen to remain on it. At some point you might want to consider changing to a transdermal HRT if you want to be on it long term but if it has been working for you then I would stay with it. Were you on Elleste Duet conti 1 mg or 2 mg? If the higher dose then perhaps try a lower dose  -  maybe alternate between 1 mg and 2 mg every other day, if you really feel you want to try with less?

Hurdity x