Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Baking disaster  (Read 7713 times)

babyjane

Baking disaster
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »

This could have been a terrible situation but I was reassured by it because it did not cause me any anxiety at all and I actually enjoyed the challenge of trying to put it right.  Such a difference from this time last year.

I made a lemon and coconut cake and I thought I had misjudged the quantity of flour as the mixture was very dry and thick.  So I stirred in some milk and put it into the oven regardless.  I turned to clear up the work surface only to find three eggs sitting there looking at me, quite forlorn at being left out!!!!!!!!!!!   :o

I quickly dragged the cake out of the oven - it had only been in there a minute or two - scraped the mixture back into the bowl and quickly whisked in the eggs.  Back into the tin and back in the oven, I didn't have a clue how it would turn out and there was mixture and utensils everywhere. The only thing missing was anxiety or panic, don't know where that was, it was a first for me.

I actually got satisfaction and, dare I say it, enjoyment out of the challenge of sorting out the error, the cake appears cooked and half way decent, and I learned a valuable lesson, that you don't have to do everything perfectly.  Ok is good enough  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Baking disaster
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »

> hands over bowl < - is there cream or custard with it?  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »

not yet but I might sandwich it together with some organic raspberry jam  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »

Raspberry jam makes my mouth burn and it's one of my fav. jams  :bang:

kiltgirl

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »

Well saved! I love these kind of realisations...I think the perfection one should be engraved into my mirror :D

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »

thanks kiltgirl  :)

you won't want a piece then CLKD  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »

I'll have the cream or custard  ;D

ellie

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »

Can I have it please ?  Pretty please..... :)

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »

Hello babyjane.

A similar thing happened to me recently!

I've never been much of a cook so I have to follow recipes very carefully.  I attempted to bake a banana and walnut loaf a few weeks ago and when I was spooning the mixture into the tin I thought the portions looked a bit meagre but put it in the oven anyway. It was only when I was clearing up that I saw the bowl of bananas and walnuts still sitting on the table. I realise the recipe said these ingredients should be put to one side but I reckon they should've been included at some point. Needless to say I just re-mixed the lot and all was well. Just another senior moment to add to the list!

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

May I giggle ……..  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »

I realise the recipe said these ingredients should be put to one side but I reckon they should've been included at some point.

Love it Kathleen  :rofl:

Yes CLKD you may giggle  :)

Two hoots

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »

I like asparagus and cook it in the microwave, you wouldn't believe how many times I've forgotten it's in there and found it days later  ::)

Even on bake off they forget to add ingredients, at least your efforts weren't witnessed by millions  :o
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:38:25 AM by Two hoots »

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »

you wouldn't believe how many times I've forgotten it's in there and found it days later  ::)

I think I would Two hoots  :).  I once found a baked potato when I went to put something in the oven.  I think we had bakers abour 4 days previously  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »

NEVER cook asparagus in the microwave, it's to be either steamed for a few moments and then slarred with butter or black pepper, or boiled gently for a few moments, add salt and shake gently then slar etc. etc. etc.;-)

Two hoots

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »

I would eat a lot more asparagus if I cooked it on the hob, at least then I wouldn't forget it  ;D
Pages: [1] 2