Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would you have hysterectomy in Peri if offered?  (Read 3724 times)

Elizabethrose

Re: Would you have hysterectomy in Peri if offered?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »

Kiltgirl, it's the best decision for a lot of women and their lives will be transformed. I wish you every success with your op! x

Annie0710

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

Ladies I need to clarify something

I don't want to put anyone off of having a hysterectomy.  If it will give you a better life it's a no brainer

Just please beware even the best surgeon can't guarantee not damaging/severing the blood supply to the ovaries, and with that comes the risk they will fail, eventually they will then probably dissolve or whatever and it's that that I believe is causing me the problems, not the fact of no uterus, and I haven't found any hrt (as yet) that has got me on an absolute even keel.  I'm way better than I was 4 years ago but I do think a lot of that is because I've got used to it

X

Niamh

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »

I've been told by Studd to have absolutely everything out though ovaries included and then he'll treat me with just ostrogen only, my friend had the same and has ostrogen implants. Have you tried these?x

Annie0710

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »

No.  they've never been offered but for me personally I wouldn't want implants.  I like the control of my patches that I can tweak dosages

It seems quite common for women with no ovaries to be quite sensitive to oestrogen dosages and changes

X

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 03:14:51 PM »

I was offered a hysterectomy at 38 and I jumped at the chance and have never looked back.  As soon as I came round from th anaesthetic I knew something had changed, I was so grateful.  I did keep my ovaries though so that probably helped.

dahliagirl

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »

I have a friend who had a hysterectomy in her 30s, following many years of endometriosis.  She had a follow-up op to remove more endometriosis and lost her remaining ovary shortly afterwards.  For her, it was life changing as she had never really known life without the menstrual pain,  and she is very happy with her patch.

If your life after will be a lot better, then it is a no-brainer.

I was thinking that if I turn out to be like my grandmother and have a hysterectomy at 70, it might have been better to have one at 50 when it would be more use!!  However, I have found out that your uterus is part of the network of ligaments and fascia that support your pelvis and organs, so it still has its uses.

Dorothy

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2016, 12:13:25 AM »

Just a point for anyone recommended a hysterectomy for heavy periods and severe pain, especially younger women - if you are able to, try the birth control pill first.  I had a GP who basically gave me the choice between hysterectomy or suffering, and then moved areas to a GP who said 'didn't the pill work?' and when I said it hadn't been suggested before, she was 'why on earth not?'.  It hasn't been a magic cure-all, but it has transformed my life and was a lot less hassle/intrusive than a hysterectomy. 

I know this isn't possible for everyone, but I was shocked that the original GP would talk about such a major op without even considering trying the pill first.
Pages: 1 [2]