Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Explanation needed, Basal Body Temperature & hormones after partial hysterectomy  (Read 3403 times)

mumofthree

I've been charting my Basal Body temperature and symptoms for the past month. I had a hysterectomy at 32 keeping my ovaries, I'm now 43. I've been having peri-meno symptoms for 4 years.

I like doing this chart as it helps me to feel in control. But I don't understand the results. I don't know which hormones are responsible for what symptom. Estrogen, testosterone, progestogen, progesterone?

When my temp is high (most of the time) I have very painful boobs, mild anxiety, hot at night. When my temp is low I have extreme anxiety, hot flushes and soaking through the night and very low mood but no boob pain.

I'd like to know which hormone is responsible for what? Thanks in advance

dahliagirl

Progesterone raises the BBT.  When an egg is released, the follicle produces progesterone, which raises temperature, and this is what you are looking for if you are using natural family planning methods.  After that, oestrogen and progesterone will continue to be high, preparing for pregnancy, until they reduce rapidly and this would be when you would start a period (day 1 of cycle). Your temperature will go down too.  Most people get the sore boobs in the last week of the cycle - it is part of the preparation for pregnancy - the progesterone continues to rise if one is pregnant (not much of that on this board  ;) )

From there, FSH acts on the ovaries and they produce oestrogen to stimulate follicle production in the ovaries.  One will ripen, you will ovulate and  your temperature will go up again.

If you are perimenopausal, then the FSH level (measured by blood test) may continue to rise until there is enough response from the ovaries producing oestrogen.  This goes awry as the follicles may take a while to respond.  Also, follicles may not produce all that much progesterone after a , and there will be a sudden collapse of hormones earlier than expected.

Read 'perils of perimenopause'  http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

mumofthree

Thanks you for that reply. I will read that document too. I think I need to see it in pictures. I really want to know what's going on but it reminds me of my old maths lessons when the information just won't sink in!!

Going off what I was saying, what stage would you say I'm mainly in? Constant boob pain, then it stops for a couple of days when I get back flushes and anxiety.