Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Lurker finally checking in!  (Read 2230 times)

AstroCat

Lurker finally checking in!
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »

Hello lovely ladies,
I've been lurking on and off for a while (a bit like my period these days ;D ) and felt it was finally time to introduce myself.
I'm fast approaching 50, just a couple of months to go and reckon I've probably been perimenopausal for the last 3 years or so. I cannot tell you how helpful it has been to come on here and read all your various experiences and symptoms and being able to have that penny dropping moment when you realise that there's a reason why you are feeling a certain way.
Anyhow, that is partly why I've come out to post here now...I'm sure it's not just me, but does anyone else just get really down at Christmas? Today, in particular, I just feel like crying. I'm not sure if this is exasperated by the fact that my period (or Aunt Irma as she is known in this house, thank you IT Crowd!) has not shown up for 2 months now and I'm just being 'hormonal'.
On the whole I would consider myself a fairly positive person, but every so often I just trip myself up like this out of the blue. I have a good life, with no major stresses, I have a lot to be thankful for, so it feels wrong for me to be like this when there are others out there struggling with far worse problems.
On the bright side, from today the days are getting longer again.  :)

nearly50

Re: Lurker finally checking in!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:49:36 AM »

Hi AstroCat, welcome to the forum. I'm a 1967 girl too and can't believe we're all going to be 50 soon!

I don't particularly enjoy Christmas, not been the same since my mum passed away although that's when I began to get perimenopausal symptoms which didn't help. I hate the enforced happiness of the season and the assumption that everyone has a perfect family to enjoy the holidays with. Feel a bit bah humbug but there you go.

I keep a diary of symptoms so when I feel a certain way I can track when I last felt like that, and tell myself it won't last forever. Can't wait for the whole thing to be over!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM AstroCat
Christmas time is a highly stressful and emotional time - add peri meno symptoms into the mix and it's a recipe for heightened tension, irritability and low mood.  Never underestimate how much the deficiency or fluctuation in oestrogen can ‘mess with your head' :(

It is important to take Vitamin D at this time of year as one of the symptoms of Vit D deficiency is low mood, fatigue and aching joints etc. - so Christmas coincides with our bodies screaming for vitamin D due to the lack of sunshine.

You are not alone feeling this way - all normal.  DG xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 05:44:49 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes!  Keep a mood/food/symptom diary which may help chart your ups and downs.

I HATE C.mas.  I hate the expectation of having to be jolly and happy and I hate the way people over-eat/drink ……. trouble is, Himself enjoys it  :-[.  Also my birthday is around now so it all rolls into one blur of wanting to get through to mid-January!

I do love writing the cards and hanging the decorations on the trees outside our lounge window.  I love taking them down again  ::).

DELEGATE!?!

AstroCat

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:41:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
I'm feeling a bit better since I posted this morning. It's been a lovely day here so I went and had a potter around the shops and also made cookies.
I will look into the Vitamin D, someone at work was also talking about that recently.
I think I probably bring a lot of this on myself...I actually really love Christmas but I realise I have unrealistic expectations of it. It is never going to be the way I remember it when I was growing up (plus my guilty pleasure is watching terrible made for TV Christmas films on the telly box where everyone always lives happily ever after). It also doesn't help that my OH really does not enjoy this time of year - it's hard to get into the spirit of things when he has no interest.
Oh well! It will pass.  :P

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:53:22 PM »

It doesn't pass quickly enough for me  ::) ……. maybe you should get together with my husband and I'll go for long walks with your OH?  Do you have a  :scottie: we can borrow ;-).

Optimist

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 04:40:34 AM »

Hi lurker, glad you've finally joined in as I have found this site so helpful.
I actually love Christmas (usually) but feel a bit flat this year...my fella took me to see "it's a wonderful life" last night and I enjoyed it but kept thinking I wanted to slap the Cheesy grins off some of the old casts faces...ho ho ho! Hardly festive feelings! Hoping this will pass.
I'm going to try a Vit d supplement also as another post I'm on suggested it also.
Hope you manage to feel better soon and don't feel bad about having a good life as we can't help these irrational, hormonal, mind altering feelings 😊