Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: hello from a moany old ranter!  (Read 4955 times)

kiltgirl

Re: hello from a moany old ranter!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »

Hello! yoga teacher here!
Yes yoga is good for weight bearing - through the arms particularly but adding some free weights cant' hurt if you can bear it...

Abby

Might dust off my yoga matt this evening...am so unbendy these days it's scary  :)

coldethyl

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »

Having chemo. They think it was all removed but they can't say for sure as it only takes one cell to have gone awol. Nor can they guarantee chemo will stop it coming back so you get followed up for years. I was always at a higher risk having had endometriosis and fertility treatment but because it isn't routinely checked for and you don't always get symptoms , I'd seriously think about having them removed. Most cysts are just functional ones as a result of our cycles but the risk of them being non benign increases in women as they age. X

kiltgirl

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »

I really hope they got it all, so sorry you have to go through this :(

Certainly something to think about...I can't imagine life without estrogen, always seemed to have too much of it. I will do some research, if there is a heightened risk then it does seem like a no-brainer.

Sending you get-well wishes xx

Tempest

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »

Hi, Kiltgirl!

I'm guessing you're in Scotland then? Me too, if so! 

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Coldethyl! I have been an advocate for keeping ovaries after having mine removed because of the trouble I have had with HRT BUT I could well have been in your position so now am coming around to thinking that my surgeon probably was acting in my best interests given my history. I had a lot of cysts too, and the last one was looking as if it could have possibly been cancerous(very luckily, it wasn't).

I do hope you're getting the good support you deserve at this very difficult time. Ovacome is an excellent support network and the ladies there are all so lovely.

This is something I would discuss very carefully with your surgeon Kiltgirl - the risks and benefits of keeping or removing the ovaries is very much an individual thing based on your history, but I know that surgeons do like to take them if there is a history of cysts and you are near menopausal age as the possibility of cysts that occur post menopause being cancerous is higher. I have recently had this confirmed as I was seeking answers as to whether the removal of mine had been actually necessary, and I now believe as I said in light of learning  this that it was.

Megamind

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 10:42:24 PM »

Also Lynn71 - not sure what your daughter's condition is - have not come across DS  ??? . I presume something for which a long time swimming helps?

Hurdity x

I assumed DS to be Downs Syndrome as you also commented on Lynn's thread where she mentioned to you her daughter had special needs.

coldethyl

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:30 PM »

Thanks Tempest. To be honest I've steered away from cancer forums as I just don't want to know very much - it's the only way I'm keeping looking forward and my oncologist said that some people just do that and focus on the practical side of it and not the what ifs. I'm getting support from a long term health issue psychologist via NHS and trying to just live in the moment more as really that is all any of us has with any degree of certainty.
So far I'm coping better menopausally than I was with all the peri hormonal fluctuations so fingers crossed that stays same. I can't take anything even if doesn't so would have to find ways of managing it without hormone treatment.
I agree that it would be worth having the discussion with your surgeon Kiltgirl. I'd be surprised if they didn't advocate having them removed as I know a friend recently has to have a functional cyst removed and on the day of the surgery her consultant said he wanted both out as he felt risk of ovarian cancer outweighed the benefit of leaving them at her age ( she was 50) x

kiltgirl

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 11:50:19 PM »

Hi, Kiltgirl!

I'm guessing you're in Scotland then? Me too, if so! 

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Coldethyl! I have been an advocate for keeping ovaries after having mine removed because of the trouble I have had with HRT BUT I could well have been in your position so now am coming around to thinking that my surgeon probably was acting in my best interests given my history. I had a lot of cysts too, and the last one was looking as if it could have possibly been cancerous(very luckily, it wasn't).

I do hope you're getting the good support you deserve at this very difficult time. Ovacome is an excellent support network and the ladies there are all so lovely.

This is something I would discuss very carefully with your surgeon Kiltgirl - the risks and benefits of keeping or removing the ovaries is very much an individual thing based on your history, but I know that surgeons do like to take them if there is a history of cysts and you are near menopausal age as the possibility of cysts that occur post menopause being cancerous is higher. I have recently had this confirmed as I was seeking answers as to whether the removal of mine had been actually necessary, and I now believe as I said in light of learning  this that it was.

Originally Scottish but have lived in the south of England for more than half of my life...I miss Scottish accents though, especially on men  ;D

You and coldethyl have given me a lot to think about that I hadn't even considered before. I was just thinking of keeping the ovaries no matter what as I didn't want to be plunged straight into menopause. I think I'm there soon anyway, been having peri symptoms for at least 5 years.
What did women do before internet!?

kiltgirl

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »

I agree that it would be worth having the discussion with your surgeon Kiltgirl. I'd be surprised if they didn't advocate having them removed as I know a friend recently has to have a functional cyst removed and on the day of the surgery her consultant said he wanted both out as he felt risk of ovarian cancer outweighed the benefit of leaving them at her age ( she was 50) x

I definitely will, thank you for sharing, my daughter is already worried about me as I've been feeling so crappy, I couldn't bear for her to go through anything else like this.

I think you're right to keep things practical and look forward, too easy to get sucked under otherwise. I hope the counselling is helping, staying present and mindful are great skills but difficult to achieve when mixed with crazy hormone issues. x

Lynn71

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 08:19:18 AM »

DS yes Kiltgirl is Down Syndrome and the 3 hour swimming sessions although good for her are often not through choice, she is just very stubborn when it comes to getting out 😯

kiltgirl

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 03:55:11 AM »

DS yes Kiltgirl is Down Syndrome and the 3 hour swimming sessions although good for her are often not through choice, she is just very stubborn when it comes to getting out 😯

You must get worn out sometimes! I wish I could swim, can do half a width in the kids pool and then have to stand up to take a breath, can't cope with getting water up my nose.
It does sound like a lovely family activity, 3 hours is a long time though! Esp when you're not feeling so good...
Sorry if I caused any offence by offering an explanation re DS, I work with people with disabilities and still got it wrong, never sure if there's an 'S' on the end of it  :-\

Lynn71

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »

Hi Kiltgirl,
Absolutely no offence taken I think Down is just the modern terminology. She's fantastic regardless 😊 I've not had much time to comment on previous posts but what a fantastic forum ☺L x
Pages: 1 [2]