Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxious border collie  (Read 7935 times)

pj44

Anxious border collie
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »

Hi. I have a very anxious border collie. He is very sensitive to high pitched sounds eg bicycle bells, bicycle brakes. Metal on metal. Heavy rain. Any change in routine. Now spring is here and more people are coming out on there bikes going for a walk is proveing very stressful. We are going lake district next week. I was wondering what f anyone had found anything that helped calmed there dogs down

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxious border collie
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »

You need to speak with a border collie trainer or maybe your Vet. will advise a DAP-defuser I think they are called for indoor use.  Is he food oriented? if so, take along dried treats as a distraction.  Do not go 'there there' but it re-inforces fear issues.  Ignore any behaviour that you don't want to encourage  ;)

If you do a 'google' for the above you will get ideas.  Is he a chaser?  How long have you owned him?  In the Lakes you can get well away from other people/dogs but DO keep him on a lead at ALL times.  It's lambing up there and there have been dogs shot already - the Farmer only needs to think that a dog/s is about to worry sheep in order to aim a gun and fire.  A husky got shot last week ……… also, in the Lakes the RAF go over quite often so be aware!

I used to work my dog on a long lead in the Lakes until she settled, I bought a pony leading rein with very good hook, double collar with details of where we were staying and our own details (no micro chips then).  From 1st April ALL dogs have to be microchipped in England  :-\.

Clicker training with treats can work but if he is noise sensitive that probably wouldn't be the 1st thing to pick up.

pj44

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:10:06 PM »

Thanks. He is 8 I have had him 7 half years he is a rescue dog. He has always been very anxious, but is getting far worse the older he is. I will keep on a lead. I just hate to see the fear in him as I know that feeling too well.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »

How is his hearing?  When my cocker became harder of hearing she jumped more at noises that wouldn't have bothered her previously.  We went to a Game Fair and she ran back to the car dragging me behind ……… whereas previously she would have watched or gone to sleep  ::)

Have a word with your Vet.?  There may be a sedative that you could give ……. where abouts R U going, we stayed in the centre of Keswick Self catering  :)

pj44

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »

I was hopeing as he got older and deaf then it would not be a problem, but his hearing is still very good. We are main hight Street in Keswick short walk to shops. In a rented dog friendly house. He hates change like me lol my daughter says he is neurotic like me. I am much better not the dog thou.

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:15 PM »

Sorry think your daughter might have a point.  Ever watched Cesar  Milan?

pj44

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 06:40:13 PM »

He was anxious from the first day I got him I'm sure I have not helped him. Border collies are well known for being highly strung dogs

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »

You make them worse by reinforcement.  Send the dog to it's bed when it shows signs of wanting to get into your lap with a chew stick?  Or a crate covered over?

We stayed in self catering which was in a basement ……… with a yard large enough to park the car outside.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »

Did you go on your holiday?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:21:51 PM »

Any news?