Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Can someone tell me about HRT and polyps?  (Read 9671 times)

sap22

Can someone tell me about HRT and polyps?
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »

Hi, I am still trying to get my HRT levels right and have been advised to have a scan to check womb lining, as having over a week of dark discharge on continuous HRT. 

I have a question about uterine polyps being a possible result of having systemic HRT (oestrogen)... I already have small fibroids.  I am on Estradot 100mcg twice weekly and Utrogestan daily. The estradot was increased to 100 from 50, as my oestrogen level was still not high enough (136) apparently.  But now I have a low level breathrough bleeding.  So I just would like to know from anyone if they think HRT is the cause of polyps and I think the answer may be yes...I am worried about that and my fibroids growing.  Thanks xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can someone tell me about HRT and polyps?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:44:09 PM »

Fibroids and polyps are different ?  :-\ ?  I had a vaginal polyp which disappeared at peri, it would bleed on contact and my Gynae wanted to remove it but I wasn't emotionally well enough for Surgery.  Then it went.  All on it's own  ::).

Get the womb lining checked and ask the question at the appt.?

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:21 PM »

I was on cyclic HRT for 15 years (Evorel Sequi) no problems, but Oct 15 started to bleed throughout the cycle. I had an ultrasound and they found the endometrial lining to be thickened 6.3mm. I started on cont HRT Evorel 25 and Utrogestan every day. I was still bleeding every few days although fairly light in July I had another ultrasound and they found a polyps. Once it was removed the bleeding stopped completely.
All the time I thought I just needed time to settle into the continuous HRT when the bleeding was probably from the polyp.
I must admit I haven't read up on whether HRT can predispose to polyps but like you sap22 I would summise that it can play a part in polyp formation. Flutterbyx

sap22

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »

I was on cyclic HRT for 15 years (Evorel Sequi) no problems, but Oct 15 started to bleed throughout the cycle. I had an ultrasound and they found the endometrial lining to be thickened 6.3mm. I started on cont HRT Evorel 25 and Utrogestan every day. I was still bleeding every few days although fairly light in July I had another ultrasound and they found a polyps. Once it was removed the bleeding stopped completely.
All the time I thought I just needed time to settle into the continuous HRT when the bleeding was probably from the polyp.
I must admit I haven't read up on whether HRT can predispose to polyps but like you sap22 I would summise that it can play a part in polyp formation. Flutterbyx

Thanks Flutterby... you were on it for quite some time prior to the polyps.  Just wish I wasn't on HRT but I was quite bad with the chills, sweats, feeling ill and VA... xx

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »

Hi Sap22 don't really know how long the polyp was there as I believe that it wasn't spotted at least the first ultrasound, the consultant could not understand why they didn't see it as it was reasonably big. I have now come off HRT, I'm 64. Trying to put some of my symptoms down to age and not just lack of oestrogen. Flutterbyx 

linz57

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:28:24 PM »

I get dark discharge breakthrough bleeding every couple of months on a conti regime sap22 and my endo thickness was found to be 6.1mm
My doctor and the gynae seem to think this is because I am not getting enough progestogen to balance with the estrogen. I asked why this could be when the patch I am on is supposedly balanced and I've been told my own body could be making some estrogen of  its own and it's throwing the balance off a little.

sap22

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »

I get dark discharge breakthrough bleeding every couple of months on a conti regime sap22 and my endo thickness was found to be 6.1mm
My doctor and the gynae seem to think this is because I am not getting enough progestogen to balance with the estrogen. I asked why this could be when the patch I am on is supposedly balanced and I've been told my own body could be making some estrogen of  its own and it's throwing the balance off a little.

Hi Linz 57,
I wondered about that... as I am now 53 and started conti when I hadn't completely had a clear year without any bleeding.  Do you know what the thickness should be... ie is 6.1mm too thick .  Anyway, thanks for your input.... what HRT are you on ?  All the best

Waterdaggers

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 01:46:39 PM »

I think polyps are more related to perimeno/meno than HRT. I had a scan as part of study right before I started HRT and a polyp was discovered. I've been on HRT 3 months now and had another scan yesterday as part of ongoing follow up to having an ovarian tumour removed and the polyp was still there. If I hadn't had the previous scan I could easily have believed the polyp was due to the HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »

There is mixed information about endometrial thickness! The main thing is that a thicker endometrium in the absence of abnormal bleeding, is less likely to be endometrial hyperplasia or cancer than if there is bleeding at the same thickness if you see what I mean - and if you are not taking HRT.  Re an absolute guideline re thickness - I have some bookmarks but don't have time to peruse them now. From what I recall the general idea in post-meno is to keep the lining approx between 4 and 5 mm - but if you are on cyclical HRT it will obviously grow and decline as the cycle occurs.

Some docs would say 6.1 is too thick (but not necessarily if on HRT) maybe they would also say keep an eye on it and in the absence of bleeding it is OK. if tkaing HRT it can mean the balance of oestrogen to progesterone is slightly too high - and of course - I forgot to say - if you are  peri-menopausal then the thickness is almost irrelevant at that level - as I said it varies depending on where in the cycle you are. If taking HRT and getting bleeding then adjusting the amount of prog is the first thing to do - but great if docs are wanting to keep an eye on it anyway - saves any worry!.

Sorry that's a bit garbled - I am busy right now so need to sign off!!! All the best :)

Hurdity x