Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do lots of women have a bad time with the mirena coil?  (Read 9239 times)

Noheroicsplease

Do lots of women have a bad time with the mirena coil?
« on: December 02, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »

I've decided to go onto HRT. On the advice of my doctor and consultant I'm going to have the coil fitted and use oestrogen gel.

I was happy with the decision until I strolled around mumsnet and read SO MANY ALARMING stories about the shit time women had with the coil. Weight gain, depression, acne...I can't cope with any of these

Am I just seeing those stories that women wish to share - aka the bad ones - and is the coil ok for large swathes of women?

Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Do lots of women have a bad time with the mirena coil?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »

The horror stories for anything tend to feature strongly on the net - you find so many scary stories about HRT.  For some reason, when people do well on something they don't bother to post this online.
I found the Mirena a good option and when I had it fitted I asked the gynae what the success rate was for women using the Mirena - she said it was over 90%.  The only side effect I had was a bit of sedation in the first few months - I slept like a baby and as I hadn't been sleeping well before I felt I was catching up on all the lost sleep. Within weeks I was feeling better - energy and confidence returned - I even started teaching dancing again.
There are many good reasons why so most gynaes recommend women to have a Mirena - they can't all be wrong. 
DG x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »

Good response! Thanks so much. I, too, would like to sleep like a baby...

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 06:33:10 PM »

I have had my Mirena for nearly eight months and am happy with it, apart from the 4.5 months of spotting but that was very light. I have slept better since I had it fitted, but have never felt sedated. Not sure if the Mirena is the reason or whether it is the Estrogel or coincidence.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 07:29:41 PM »

Just a thought, I too trawled Mumsnet and read the horror stories, but do you not think that they are using it for different reasons, mainly contraception and they may have more normal levels of oestrogen and progesterone.

Surely at our age group, I'm 45 by the way, the Mirena may replace a hormone that is now lower than it should be?

I've had 1 spot and no depression with the Mirena and had it just over 3 weeks.

elsie001

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »

I'm sure lots do have a bad time but lots more are helped greatly by having a mirena coil, myself included.  I suffered so badly with really heavy periods and insomnia - periods gone, insomnia now only occasionally.

Yep, I got the teenage pimples to begin with.  Also got head-splitting migraines and low mood but am glad I persevered.  Those symptoms have now gone & I'd be devastated if I had to get it removed.

Jellyb

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:21 PM »

I had a Mirena,  used Evotel patches alongside this. Felt the best I've felt on any hrt at that time.  Am hoping to be able to go back on the same regime.

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »

Anyone reading this forum would assume that the menopause is always a horrendous time for women...but lots of them breeze through without really noticing.  It's the ones that have a tough time who need the support of a forum.  I'm sure the same thing applies to Mirena - if you haven't had a problem with it, you don't need to go to a forum for help!  So you are automatically going to find the majority of people talking about it on a forum are the unlucky ones who have had bad experiences!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »

Yes, all true about why people go to forums.

Thanks all.

Dollydream

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »

Hi Noheroricsplease
I am going down the same route as you and having the coil fitted on Tuesday to use with the oestrogen gel and the replies on here have been very helpful - thanks everyone! When are you having yours fitted? 
DollyD x

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »

Not till Jan - can't get an appointment before. Let me know how you get on! Good luck.

Dawncam

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 01:19:13 PM »

Having mine fitted on wed. Will keep you posted.

Dx

Dollydream

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »

Had mine fitted this morning, wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be.  Took 2 ibruprofen and despite my tilted uterus which made it more difficult to get in, it was a very short amount of discomfort.  Felt OK afterwards, but feeling tired now and a little light headed with cramp like period pains, hoping it will pass after a nights sleep.  Got the oestrogel from the pharmacist and will probably start that tomorrow.

Good luck with your fittings Noheroicsplease and Dawncam x

Dawncam

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »

Thanks Dollydream - I've also got a tilted uterus so glad to hear it was relatively trouble-free. I had one fitted about 4 years ago but had it removed after a few months as it was in an awkward position but other than that, I don't remember any probs.

Dxx

Dollydream

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »

Hope all goes well tomorrow with the fitting Dawncam, let us know how you get on x
Pages: [1] 2