Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Nightmares  (Read 2230 times)

nearly50

Nightmares
« on: December 02, 2016, 01:13:51 PM »

I am finding that I'm waking up from nightmares two or three times a night, this has been going on for weeks now. I think it must be hormone related, found other threads on here and my older sister said she went through the same. Anything suggestions? I take the following in the evening: sage, calcium with magnesium, evening primrose oil and Vit D if that helps at all.

nearly50

Re: Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »

Thanks, I already have made an informed decision for me, as things stand now. Having lots of symptoms but nothing I can't cope with at the moment. If that changes, I'll rethink. I'm 2, probably 3 years in now and thankfully I don't seem to have more than 1 or 2 symptoms at a time. I'm following much the same pattern as my sister and mum so we're hoping I'll be out the other side of this in the next year or two.

This forum's great for advice on ways to cope with things easier, I would never have known my nightmares were down to hormones before and knowledge is half the battle for me.

Megamind

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »

Hi nearly50. Yes, I have the nightmares. I wake up with a racing heart and sweaty chest! It reminds me a bit of when I was pregnant, so obviously similar hormones. I used to have such weird dreams during pregnancy but in peri, they are quite scary ones.

I'm finding I rarely sleep through the night now. I either wake up from a nightmare or wake up sweating or just something wakes me. It's tiring!

I've declined HRT for now as well as I feel like I can cope so far with my symptoms but I have read peri can last upto 10 years, so I'll see how things go!

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »

Great! It seems you're braver than me  ;)

For how long did your sister and mum have symptoms? Did they stop completely?

Yes, stopped completely. I'm 4 years behind my sister and hitting markers at much the same time, only difference is that I have fibroids and heavier periods. Hard to tell how long her symptoms lasted, or when mine began as we went through a fairly horrific 5 years in my family so thought a lot of things were down to stress. Compared to that time in my life, menopause is a breeze to be honest.

My dreams are always about me doing something wrong which ends up in disaster. Was responsible for a dog's death and a train derailment last night - give us a break.  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »

I had nightmares for years, to the point that I was afraid to go to sleep  :-\.  I take ADs which give me busy, involved dreams, fortunately not particularly bad but oh they do wander around a bit ………

What else is going on in your Life?

nearly50

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 07:11:27 PM »

I had nightmares for years, to the point that I was afraid to go to sleep  :-\.  I take ADs which give me busy, involved dreams, fortunately not particularly bad but oh they do wander around a bit ………

What else is going on in your Life?
Not much in the way of stress in my life. Have a tiring job and long commute, but that's always been the case. No reason for my constant nightmares, other than hormones. Going on holiday on sunday so maybe a bit of sun will sort me out,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »

Oh do enjoy! and bring back a jar of  :sunny: for me ;-).

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:33 PM »

Urgh!  The nightmares!  I don't have so many now, but when they do come, they are horrible.

I did find that taking time to unwind before bed, drinking a calming herbal tea (camomile, valerian or similar) and avoiding any exciting/stressful books or films in the evening helped but didn't get rid of them entirely.  And I still get them occasionally even taking hormones, so if it's any comfort, there is no guarantee they would have vanished if you were on HRT.