Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice and reassurance please x  (Read 2022 times)

renee

Advice and reassurance please x
« on: December 02, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »

Hi Ladies,

I'm so confused and looking for any advice from you lovely ladies.

I went back on HRT (Elleste Duet) after being without it for 11 months.... The first 3 weeks my symptoms were bitty better but this week I have felt so low, and the tiredness is so bad I don't even feel like talking, my body is sore and joints are painful. Iv felt like this a few times over the past 18 months, usually after pushing myself too much when I feel a bit yukky. I'm back on iron tabs for 3 months (started a week ago).

I'm now wondering if these symptoms are menopausal or something else, I don't work due to having complex PTSD, I wouldn't be able to anyway with the way I feel at times. I can battle through all the other meno symptoms that I have but this is on a different level.

I also have an under active thyroid which has been checked recently and my levels are fine with my meds. This is not a life for me or my family. It's unfair to be in a state of total collapse and have no quality of life!

I have made another appointment with my doctor but it's not until the 19th Dec. Is this normal for going through the menopause....just left struggling with whatever is going on?

I also started a heavy period yesterday which is only my 3rd period this year.

Any advice or words of encouragement would be much appreciated as I can't believe the menopause can make you feel so bad.

Thank you ❤️
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:57:06 AM by renee »

Hurdity

Re: Advice and reassurance please x
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »

Hi renee

What type and dose of Elleste Duet are you on - is it the cyclical type or conti? If the cyclical type - some women do not get a bleed even while on cyclical HRT and is often an indication that you are advanced in menopause. What was your cycle doing before you started, how long ago as this and how old are you now?

It may be that the oestrogen dose is to low, or perhaps the progestogen is affecting you? Re thyroid - despite the doc saying that your levels are OK with the meds - perhaps they have changed even though still normal so may not be enough for you? Why not ask for a print-out or if you can view them online - TSH etc? Any of these things could lead to some of your symptoms - triedness, painful joints, aches etc.

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »

Thanks for your reply Huridity....

Finally I can answer your questions. I'm on the ones that give you a period after finishing the green tabs then beginning the White tabs on a new pack. This first period has been very heavy.....it's a good job I'm on iron tabs.

I got my blood results back today.....my B12 and adrenal function was checked and their normal. My glucose level has went from 4 up to 6.3 so that's cause concern for pre diabetes so I'm back to get another glucose check tomorrow. My joints, extreme fatigue, light headed symptoms are still the same. My iron levels are being checked again just to see if the iron tabs are effective enough.

If these bloods do settle then Iv to give the HRT 1mg another month then it will be increased to see if this will help my symptoms as I feel their chronic.

Also, depending on how the HRT helps then I will also be referred to rheumatology to check for Fibromyalgia as this is the 4th time in the past 18 months Iv crashed like this. X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »

Hi renee

Thanks for the update - have you had your thyroid levels rechecked though - these can be affected by oral HRT ie the  oestrogen. I would greatly resist your being sent for a diagnosis of fibromyalgia because you may well then be stuck with it and just given pain relief and a "there there dear" or similar. If you are peri-menopausal and have an underactive thyroid then it may take a while to find the right treatment for you. You may need to change your HRT type (perhaps to transdermal ie patches) and I would definitely have your thyroid levels tested regularly. There are others on here with both and hopefully someone will be able to advise who knows more about thyroid than I do.

Also good that you are being re-tested re glucose. High blood sugar can lead to fatigue. How is your diet and weight? You should be able to regulate blood sugar (provided you don't have type 1 diabetes) by diet and exercise cutting out sugar and sugary drinks as well as refined carbs such as white bread rice pasta biscuits sweets pastries sweet cereals and sugary drinks and cutting down on carbs generally - at least w hen you have them have small portions and things like muesli and wholemeal bread etc - basically a minimal sugar pretty low carb diet. Then taking more exercise especially some sort of body conditioning to develop your muscles a bit more. You may be already slim, fit and doing this re sugar and diet - if so I don't know what to suggest!!!

Also I do know that the progestogen in that particular HRT can have an effect on blood sugar so I've read - when in the HRT cycle was the blood taken?

Sounds like you do have a lot of physiological issues going on including iron levels so i would really try to sort all of this out before going for fibromyalgia diagnosis (I say this as someone whose doctor shrugged her shoulders at my symptoms and said the only other thing was to refer me to a rheumatologist for guess what - fibromyalgia - so I see it as a dumping ground for "women's complicated and indecipherable complaints" ie things that the general medical profession can't sort out properly!!!! Rant over!!!

Do let us know how you get on....

Sorry I can't be of more help

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

I did get my thyroid levels checked a few weeks ago and they were fine.

Good advice for the fibromyalgia check as I'm now clutching at straws as to what to with myself. I'm a non smoker, I don't eat processed food, very healthy diet but do like a cheeky cream cake or biscuit! I'm slim and was walking a lot but don't feel able to just now.

Now that's interesting about the progesterone part of my HRT possibly causing higher levels of glucose. I was in the oestrogen part when I got my bloods taken last, but I have my doc again on the 19th and I will mention this.
I personally think i need a higher dose of HRT with kinder progesterone and I'm on a low dose tryclic which could be increased as I have anxiety every day and low mood.

Thanks for your input Hurdity as its very much appreciated xx