Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Quick Update  (Read 3011 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Quick Update
« on: December 01, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »

I posted a few days ago, about how for the 3rd month in a row, my mood has dangerously dipped & my anxiety returned with a vengence, from day 12ish through to days 20ish. This month days 18 & 19 were particularly severe, literally shaky and nauseous with anxiety. It's so frightening.

Then magically it goes. Within an hour. Feeling much calmer, but quite headachy.

Now, I understand that your progesterone rapidly rises at ovulation, and peaks roughly a week after ovulation.

I can only conclude that I am reacting horribly to my own progesterone surging for the week after ovulation? The timing can't be coincidental, can it?

But, last month (and I hope for this month) my mood rapidly improves after day 20, and remains fine up until my bleed, and right through my bleed.

Has anyone else had this reaction, and at the same time each month?

Not sure how I can combat my awful reaction to my progesterone surge for those 7-8 days. 4 pumps doesn't seem to compensate enough at this time, at all.

dangermouse

Re: Quick Update
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »

I have exactly that pattern but as you know mine is from high oestrogen. (Both hormones peak at the same time remember but oestrogen has a higher peak at ovulation and prog is higher in the luteal phase).

I also had the drastic change in one day literally like night and day! Day 10 and 20 on average seem to be my worse days but I'm feeling better this month from my progesterone treatment as long as I take it slowly.

It may be that your own hormones are responsible and the gel is taking a smaller role, so it may be best to just put this down to a bad month and look forward to some nicer ones like you've had. The volatility can be very changeable month by month in peri.

You may even need a higher dose of the AD now as the brain is good at desensitising itself to drugs in an effort to restore (what it deems) homeostasis.

Try not to worry that you're losing ground as each month you get through is a step nearer to things calming down and next month could be another good one.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:45:23 PM »

Thank you Dangermouse. I admit this month has really scared me, having started to 'trust' that I am definitely getting better. And having enjoyed plenty of good days, too.

Do you think it so bizarre, that you can swing from the depths of panic to feeling fine within just an hour? I literally can go to bed feeling perfectly well, on day 11 (as happened this month) only to wake up the next morning feeling decidedly off. And then just the most awful anxiety a week later.

It's like my progesterone is akin to poison for me. I still can't quite believe that my hormones can be so powerful?

Can I ask what progesterone treatment you are trying now?

I can't wait for my own cycle to stop. I know menopause is no walk in the park, but at least you aren't having these massive fluctuations.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:55:43 PM »

Not bizarre at all!  Dr Dalton discovered this was the main reason for girls becoming violent during their menstruating years, she started NAPS in order to advise women about pre-menstrual syndrome.  She represented a young woman who had murdered her mother during bad PMT   :'( so that the girl was able to admit manslaughter rather than being charged with murder.

I remember the night B4 a bleed I would sob for hours, even if my period wasn't due.  Next morning, hey ho! it was there  ::).  I too can go from feeling bright and cheerful to depths of despair within moments  :sigh:

I think that you might benefit from contacting NAPS for advice.

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »

I am on a Verbabase micronised progesterone cream from a compounding pharmacy, prescribed by a private endocrinologist. It's for gastric migraines caused by high oestrogen.

It can't be used to balance the oestrogel
or high dose patches though, as the compounded oestrogens and patches it works with are micro amounts by comparison but just as effective as it's all about ratios apparently.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »

GypsyRoseLee - yes your progesterone will be at its highest approx 1 week following ovulation and then start to decrease over the  next week. However your oestrogen also crashes just after ovulation and then a few days later starts to rise again (I presume the extent to which this occurs will vary from woman to woman) before declining again at the end of the cycle. However the added oestrogen should be helping to mask these changes but maybe not? Maybe you are reacting against the progesterone and/or the cyclical oestrogen changes?

dangermouse - I keep reading about things you are taking but none of it's in your signature so I am quite confused as to what you are on!

As you know GypsyRoseLee and as dangermouse says progesterone cream is not recommended as part of HRT. So glad to hear you have been having some good days but there will still be ups and downs as you go through this turbulent stage so hang in there if you can :). Is there any strategy you can try to adopt when this takes hold? Sorry I can't help as I have never experienced this so probably just sounds a bit cavalier!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »

Thanks for replying Hurdity, and I promise you don't sound cavalier at all. I find it very hard to imagine the horrors of hot flushes and VA, because I have yet to experience them.

I am riddled with anxiety again today. Just don't know what is going on? I suddenly felt much calmer on Wednesday and yesterday, and I wonder if that was due to my progesterone starting to drop from its peak? But now, I assume my own oestrogen is dropping now, so could that be why I feel awful again?

My 4 pumps doesn't seem to be compensating anywhere near enough this month. Last month I felt rotten from day 12 - 20, but then improved rapidly, and felt great for the next 20 days.

But that doesn't seem to be happening this month. And I don't know why?

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »

dangermouse - I keep reading about things you are taking but none of it's in your signature so I am quite confused as to what you are on!

Sorry, I've updated it now!

I think my situation is unusual though so not sure it will help many but I try to post anything I learn about it that feeds into the wider problems here.

Pam Madra

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 06:47:31 AM »

thanks for sharing these roller coaster issues. I am also more happier to face menopause than this ride of up and down. Usually after ovulation with some progestrone in system sometimes is better. How can hormones be so effective and yet some women do not experience any issue.