Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ovestin irritating - urethritis  (Read 9258 times)

cjmca

Ovestin irritating - urethritis
« on: December 10, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »

Just wanted to ask any ladies out there with experience of Ovestin. When I first starting using it, I used it very sparingly. Since its become clear I've atrophy, I've used it a little less sparingly, particularly 2 evenings ago over the urethra and surrounding areas. I think to my demise, as I now seem to have urethritis. Slow urine stream, definite urethral irritation. Not a happy bunny as dealing with this on top of the ongoing bladder pain. Anyone else experience this?  :-\

Worst timing ever as I'm flying from Dublin to London tomorrow afternoon for an appointment on Monday morning with Dr. Panay, I'm
scared I just won't be able for the travelling but I badly need to see him, in bits  :'(

Dancinggirl

Re: Ovestin irritating - urethritis
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »

Yep - I couldn't use Ovestin at all - burned like hell.  I think it's the fillers in it that irritate.  I  use Vagifem and I find using Sylk vaginal moisturiser everyday really eases discomfort.  Drink lotsof water  - couple of times and day add half and teaspoon of bicarb to stop any burning. Make sure you empty the bladder fully each time and really relax when peeing.
DG x

cjmca

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »

Arrrrrrrgh! Aren't these things meant to make us feel better, not worse?! :o

In despair here, my bits are on fire, slowwwww urine stream and I've to get on a flight to London tomorrow

:stretcher:

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:26:20 PM »

Oo-er. Did you say you have Vagifem as well? Of the estriol creams, the one that is better to use liberally is estriol cream (used to be orthgynest) as it is one tenth of the concentration of Ovestin (0.1%). Both preparations have different fillers too. I have never used Ovestin but happy with Vagifem  (estradiol tablets) and estriol cream (0.01%).

I would stop the Ovestin and as Dancinggirl says drink loads of water....

You will be fine - there are plenty of loos at airports and there a couple on the plane....

Good luck with Nick Panay - do let us know how you get on.

Hurdity x

cjmca

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 09:17:05 PM »

Yup I use Vagifem daily, seems ok. Oops, maybe I've overdone the Ovestin.. I'll ask Nick Panay about the lower dose cream.

The only thing I'm worried about is the level of pain I'll be in after all the sitting and walking. My bladder feels bumps in the road in the car. Takeoff and landing... Dreading it TBH :(

ellie66

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »

I found Ovestin stung like cray when I first used it for a couple of months its fine now.

sap22

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »

Just wanted to ask any ladies out there with experience of Ovestin. When I first starting using it, I used it very sparingly. Since its become clear I've atrophy, I've used it a little less sparingly, particularly 2 evenings ago over the urethra and surrounding areas. I think to my demise, as I now seem to have urethritis. Slow urine stream, definite urethral irritation. Not a happy bunny as dealing with this on top of the ongoing bladder pain. Anyone else experience this?  :-\

Worst timing ever as I'm flying from Dublin to London tomorrow afternoon for an appointment on Monday morning with Dr. Panay, I'm
scared I just won't be able for the travelling but I badly need to see him, in bits  :'(

I have used Ovestin on outer bits but stopped as it seemed to burn.  I tried it again four days ago in the between the outer and inner lips to test it and also on the labia majora, but ended up with ****ly burning and it has actually burnt the skin off as there appears to be teares in two places.  Extremely painful and am trying different things to get it to heal - currently trying sudocreme. Needless to say I won't attempt it again!

Jenna

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

Hi sap22 - have you tried using Estriol Cream? It is weaker than Ovestin as Hurdity explains earlier on in the thread. (It's the one I use.)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:38:09 AM »

There seem to be many women who have problems with oestrogen cream burning and irritating generally - perhaps this needs to be fed back to the pharmaceutical company as there should be warnings in the leaflet about this.
There are still so many improvements needed when it comes to treatments like systemic HRT and local oestrogen, as women are put off using them because of side effects and then go on suffering unnecessarily.  Dg x

ancient runner

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »

Take some painkillers. Drink water. Wash off the Ovestin. Find something to sit on that means no pressure on your bits (I use a travel neck support pillow (a horseshoe shaped thing) to sit on if I've got a flare up but it has to be a solid one that won't squish flat.) GET ON THAT PLANE!!!!
And best of luck with Mr P.

sap22

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »

Hi sap22 - have you tried using Estriol Cream? It is weaker than Ovestin as Hurdity explains earlier on in the thread. (It's the one I use.)

Yes... that seems to burn me too.  Wish I could find a cream (even if I got it from abroad) that didn't burn....

Jenna

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »

Yes... that seems to burn me too.  Wish I could find a cream (even if I got it from abroad) that didn't burn....

Oh dear, sap22, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried any vaginal moisturisers? The Yes company have just brought out a new one which is designed to be very gentle and to help VA. I haven't tried it myself, because their water-based one suits me (at the moment!). Maybe look it up on their website (there is lots of information on there) and see if you think it could help. (The new one is called YES VM.)

Good luck - I hope you can find a solution. x

ellie66

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »

Is it burning due to you being do low on oestrogen? Mine burnt/stung really bay for a good 3/4 weeks. I now find it brilliant and soothing.

sap22

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »

Is it burning due to you being do low on oestrogen? Mine burnt/stung really bay for a good 3/4 weeks. I now find it brilliant and soothing.

Dont think I am low on oestrogen generally now, as I am on oestrogen patches and did vagifem since June, until I got bad vulvodynia recently. tried VM but it came up as a red patch on my arm, so didn't use it.

ellie66

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »

I was not low on oeateogen either. I use Oestrogel/Ultrogestan BUT it was not reaching my fanny! So about 3 weeks of real stinging until my fanny oestrogen levels went up? Fanny oesyrogen levels seem different to general oestrogen levels.  ;D  ;D