Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sleep deprivation 3 years can't cope  (Read 7890 times)

Peroxideblader

Sleep deprivation 3 years can't cope
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:06:30 PM »

Hello I've posted on here before but I need another round of help please..I'm peri I think I'm 47 all symptoms of peri and hope to start hrt soon but I'm still so unsure with having family history of heart issues and strokes hence my delay...but my question is the one awful and lure changing thing for me is sleep deprivation..it seems majority of people can get to sleep but wake early but I want to hear from people the other way round who like me can't fall asleep no matter what it's nothing to do with tired I'm shattered and so low but when I get to bed it's like I have an adrenalin surge and I'm wide awake...for the last 3 years it's got worse jntil this last year EVERY night it's 3-4 am I eventually fall asleep.  I was so ill I was prescribed zopiclone sleep tablet which I've now stopped due to addictive qualities but now I'm just on the edge..I've many other long term illnesses on top of menopause sympTom's nd I can't cope. Please please can people post who have had this type of insomnia who have found hrt has helped it's the only reason I will go on it despite the risks as sleep deprivation will kill me quicker!!!@ thank you

Maryjane

Re: Sleep deprivation 3 years can't cope
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »

I would definitely try the HRT , as sleep issues and such stress could lead to a potential heart/ stroke issues anyway.

My HRT has been upped and I am sleeping much better so far.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »

Hi Peroxideblader

I'm sorry you feel so awful. Why don't you PM Dana, I'm sure she's posted about her sleeping issues and is on HRT. She seems really well informed and may be able to advise. I think she's in Oz.

I do hope you find a solution, you sound so miserable. I wish you well x

Peroxideblader

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »

Thanks so much I am pinning so much on hrt but read so much about it not helping but I agree the lack of sleep and my depression getting worse will cause more heart problems anyway. I've been in touch with Dana she was great but sadly the medication I've already tried and the one that might help is not available in the UK typical eh.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:22:51 PM »

Ask your GP to refer you to a Sleep Clinic - that way a pattern will traced and maybe helpful coping strategy suggested.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:33:16 PM »

Could be worth trying hrt,just bear in mind that you may have to try a few types ,there's no quick fix unfortunately. HRT did nothing for my insomnia sadly. Good luck

Peroxideblader

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »

There's an 8 to 10 month waiting  list for a sleep clinic and that's on a good day...I have already asked but doctor doesn't think it warrants a clinic because I can sleep..yeh at 4am

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »

Give the Clinic a ring to see what it actually costs?  The longer you leave it …………  :-\ and if when the appt. arrives you don't need it, someone else will do!

soniad

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:14:39 PM »

Hi Peroxideblader,

I had both sleep onset (falling asleep) and sleep maintenance (staying asleep) problems before I started HRT. I am 49, also in peri.

I have been on HRT for 4 months and it helped me enormously.

It took a while for me to settle into it so you need to give it at least 3 months.

Good luck, I hope it helps you.

Dana

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 06:36:16 AM »

Thanks so much I am pinning so much on hrt but read so much about it not helping but I agree the lack of sleep and my depression getting worse will cause more heart problems anyway. I've been in touch with Dana she was great but sadly the medication I've already tried and the one that might help is not available in the UK typical eh.

The medication I suggested (antihistamine called doxylamine or "Restivit") is only a stop-gap measure until you get onto hrt, and like all sleeping medication should not be used long term, although it is a much safer option than zopiclone or other benzos. However, I thought you had ordered some, or am I dreaming that bit? :)

I can only tell you what I said before - insomnia was the worst of my symptoms, where I did not sleep at all. I wish it was a case of being able to fall asleep, but waking early. I could live with that, as I'm an early riser anyway, but not being able to get to sleep at all is a real killer.

I just don't understand why you are so worried about starting hrt, or why you keep saying there are so many posts about it not helping. I'm honestly not seeing these posts. The majority that I see all seem to say that hrt has helped them, and not just for sleep issues. I think when you are only looking for the negative stuff that is all you will see. Of course there will be some who don't get any benefit from it, but there could be other reasons for it. We are all so different and we should never judge ourselves against other people experiences.

The bottom line is that you will never know if it will help or not until you give it a try. You need to make an appointment asap and get started on it asap. I know you wanted to delay it because of your cycle, but in all honestly that really isn't necessary. Phone and make an appointment today!! Even if you don't start taking it straight away, at least you will have it on hand. :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:38:13 AM by Dana »

cubagirl

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 07:51:23 AM »

I'm on low dose oestrogen only. I spend many a night trying to get to sleep. Keep to a regular bedtime, occasional late nights. However, makes no difference. Most nights I'm still awake 3 hours after bedtime! I've been on HRT for many, many years but the lack of sleep has only happened in last 10 years or so. Thankfully I no longer work.

elsie001

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »

M worst symptom is definitely insomnia - like you, I find it impossible to nod off.  I can feel dog-tired on the sofa watching telly but as soon as it's lights out time, my brain just goes bananas.  I'll even have one line from a song going over and over in my head in a torturous loop! Then, I'll guarantee I'll get no sleep the following night because I'm over-tired!!!

Happened last night, as a matter of fact, recognised the warning signs so took an anti-histamine.  First time I've had to do that for months and probably due to a silly arguement with 16-yr old daughter earlier in the evening which got my adrenaline going.

Having the mirena coil fitted was a life-saver for me.  My insomnia went from constant to occasional which allowed me to function at work/home again.  No tablets to take, it just sits there doing it's job  for 4 years - had it in a year so 3 more years before I need to start thinking what to do next.  I'll be 54 then so I doubt they'll fit another one but I'll cross that bridge nearer the time.

My GP prescribed 28 3.5mg zopiclone tablets at the beginning of July and I have one left (for emergencies only!), and don't intend asking for more until January. I'd have got through those in no time pre-coil.

I can fully understand your reluctance to take hrt but personally, quality of life comes first.

Justjules

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »

Peroxideblader - sorry to hear about your sleep problems.  Must be awful for you as it can make you feel so poorly. 

Just for curiosity, none of your medications contain steroids do they?  I ask because my Mum has had terrible issues with sleep deprivation and only found out recently, it is when she has been prescribed steroids for her chest issues and is suffering again at the moment because she's had a cataract done and wasn't sleeping afterwards and we found out that the drops she has to use contain steroids so you wouldn't think that it would make that much difference.

She too takes antihistamines when she can't sleep rather than rely on sleeping pills.

Hope you get sorted soon. x

Peroxideblader

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 03:27:33 PM »

Thanks everyone I'll try reply I'm one message..to the lady with the coil that worked do you mean you only take progesterone then with the coil and no oestrogen as that is another question of mine because the lack of sleep is the only reason I'd go on fill hrt as I'm still having regular periods and although I have a lot of the peri symptoms I could live with them not the insomnia.
Dana you are right I've pmd you as you can't buy doxy in uk so my only option is online which I darent do as they're from Poland and I don't know what I'm getting online so no doxy to try. As for hrt not helping sleep there are 2 posts on mine that comment that hrt didn't make a difference to their sleep which is my reluctance to go on hrt. I'm high risk anyway and I am only going on for sleep I know I have to try it but maybe only progesterone as more oestrogen in hrt when I'm still having periods will surely make sleeping worse. I'm at the doctors Friday he's old school retiring next week so he won't wash with my 3 year insomnia being meno related I've asked before I'm going to ask for hrt to start next period but now I don't know whether to go progesterone only or full hrt as in femoston..everytime I think I have it sorted what to ask for I read contradictory facts...
Also re sleep clinic I will look at private I did have one done on nhs a sleep test for a different reason and they diagnosed irregular brain patterns and overactive bladder which apparently ruined my sleep ..I was stopping off to sleep when I went there and I knew about my bladder as I get up 10 times a night to wee..so my trust in their verdict with no suggestion how to sort these irregular patterns was useless..but maybe now I would get somewhere.
I know people here say just go on hrt but I am a recovering bulimic anorexic so the weight gain is herd enough but if it doesn't help my sleeping at all and highers my risk of stroke I'll have used it for 3 months for nothing..

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »

Your over-active bladder should be investigated further.  Nature has designed the body to shut down urine production in the night but occasionally the hormone over-rides so we continue to wake.  Ask your GP to refer you to an incontinence nurse for advice.

What support have you had for your anorexia?  I had exactly nowt until I married ………. my husband cooks and encourages me when I can't eat  :-\.  I ate enough to keep me upright from the age of 5  :sigh:

Let us know how you get on!  If you are able to sleep in the evening on the settee, then listen to your brain and drop off!  I have a blanket close by and when I feel dozy I drag it over and people know not to disturb me: or ELSE  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3