Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: oestrogen gel  (Read 4598 times)

riverrunsfree

oestrogen gel
« on: November 26, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »

Does anyone know how I would swap from my hrt tablets to a oestrogen gel.I'm in peri so still using sequential therapy..how is the progesterone part of the cycle dealt with.

Any tios so appreciated ladies xxxx

Tinkerbell

Re: oestrogen gel
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »

You would need to use a separate progesterone either utrogestan or having a Mirena fitted.

Liz

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 01:29:53 PM »

I've always used gel (I'm peri, I think).  You would take Utrogestan tablets for days 15-26 of the month usually, or have a Mirena fitted instead.

I would think you could finish a cycle of your tablets and then start the new regime, but check with your GP.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »

Yes as the others have said. Have you actually been given it yet, and with the utrogestan? If you are still on the oestrogen only part of the tablet HRT you can swap straight over to oestrogen gel - but make sure you start the progestogen part at the same time as you would have done had you still been on the tablets. If you're on the progestogen/combi part then finish that course and as soon as the packet is finished swap to the oestrogel only and then utrogestan as Liz says. Count Day 1 as the day you start oestrogen only, not 1st of the calendar month if you see what I mean!

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 03:21:58 PM »

From the age of 40 I was on one pump of Oestrogel per day with separate progesterone in pill form for 10 days each month.  I then increased the Oestrogel to 2 pumps per day after few years when I realised I needed a bit more oestrogen.
If you look under TREATMENTS at the top of the page and look under progesterones you can see your options - either Utrogestan or Provera are good but you could also have a Mirena fitted.  DG x

riverrunsfree

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »

Thank you so much ladies...that is fabulous. I was just wondering...doesnt the oestrogen and progesterone bit both come as a gel or does the progesterone bit always have to be a pill or coil?

I would like to lessen risks and thats why I want to swap to the transdermal route xxxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »

You can get combined patches that have oestrogen and progesterone but they are medium dose and the peri meno stage can be too strong. By using Oestrogel you can control better the amount you use - so starting low and only increasing as and if you need to.  The risks of BC etc. are very, very small and only really kick in when you get to 60 if still using HRT, so at that time you can reassess the risks versus the benefits.

Utrogestan is supposed to be the lowest risk factor for BC but I found it gave the most side effects in terms of sedation and problematic bleeding but many women love Utro.  Many use Utrogestan vagnilly with success but this isn't licensed for HRT use here in the UK for some strange reason!!???  Those that don't get on Utrogestan often do better on Provera which is also a kinder progesterone.  I do think that risk factors with the Mirena must be on the lower side as far less progesterone is absorbed systemically - the advantage of the Mirena is that you usually get a non bleed regime after the first few months and you can use as little or as much oestrogen you need to control meno symptoms.

It will be trial and error - perhaps try the Utrogestan (mocronised progesterone in the GPs prescription book) and if you don't get on with this try the Provera or the Mirena.  DG x

riverrunsfree

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »

Thank you so much Dancingirl! Wow.. I feel so lucky to have all these great tips and advice that I can mull over. Thankyou for responding..helps me consider the options.