Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 19991 times)

Dawncam

Re: Weight gain
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 11:04:26 PM »

Good for you Georgeaj2000 - that's a really impressive amount of weight to lose. Think I'll start reducing my carbs a bit too.

How did you get on with the itchy skin?

Dxx

kiltgirl

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 11:16:37 PM »

:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:25:22 PM by kiltgirl »

Dana

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 04:53:04 AM »

Btw I weigh myself everyday to take a weekly average as I know how much I can vary on a daily basis,  if I were to get on the scales weekly and discover I'd put on despite having a good eating week it can have a catastrophic effect on what I do next!

I also weigh myself everyday. I am NOT a subscriber to the notion that you should only weigh yourself once a week. Like so many things, it's a silly idea that's not suitable for women with hormone issues. I know that my weight can increase by 1kg (about 2 pounds) overnight. I can also lose the same amount overnight too. So if I had the misfortune to weigh myself on a "fat" day I would be horribly depressed, especially if I've been really good all week.

So I weigh myself every morning and jot it down in my journal. It's handy because I can see patterns emerging, and I can also see if any particular foods are effecting me. For example, a month or so ago I suddenly had the urge to use some soy sauce in my veggies, and my weight shot up from the sodium. So I now don't use it anymore.

Dana

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 04:56:57 AM »

On a slightly different note, do most of you have electronic scales or older manual ones? I have decided that I need new ones to keep an eye on my weight. I threw  old scruffy manual scales out some time ago and never replaced them because I wasn't confident of the accuracy of the electronic ones. I did buy some and take them home but they disagreed with my old scales by several pounds so I took them back. I had also  tried them in different rooms in the house and they weren't consistent.
Any particular make recommended?

When I decided I needed to lose weight just over 12 months ago (I've now lost about 11kg via Weight Watchers), I decided to buy a set of Weight Watchers digital scales and they have been very good. I can't use the old fashioned ones because I can't see the numbers unless I put my glasses on, but the WW one has a really large read-out that I can see quite easily. The old fashioned ones aren't very accurate anyway, because so many different things can affect the calibration (eg heat, cold, humidity, etc).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:00:01 AM by Dana »

babyjane

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:37 AM »

I don't weigh myself any more than once a month because otherwise I get obsessive.  Neither do I follow eating plans or 'diets' because, again, I tend to get obsessive as I had an eating disorder when I was younger that still surfaces under stress.

If my waistbands start to hurt and I have to take my jeans off after tea I stop nibbling between meals  :)

My weight has not changed in 2 years and it has gradually dropped half a stone naturally since my hormone levels stabilised in post meno.

Life is too short for me to spend every day thinking about food, whether planning, shopping, cooking or eating the stuff. 

Dawncam

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »

Couldn't agree more babyjane. I too go by waistbands and just stop eating as much when they get tighter. Quite frankly I've got enough to worry about and don't need to add whether I've gained and extra nano ounce into the pot.

Going to stop carbs a bit though and up the veggies.

Dxx

Dana

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »

The problem is that by the time any weight gain shows up in your waist band you've actually gained quite a few pounds. When I lost weight initially I didn't notice any difference in my clothes until I'd lost about 3kg (about 6 pounds).

I prefer to keep a closer watch on things so I can take action when it's a much smaller issue. Weighing daily isn't about being "obsessive". It's just about being vigilant if you have an issue of easy weight gain.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:03:31 PM by Dana »

babyjane

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »

That's a fair point but I am not really bothered what I weigh so long as my clothes fit well and hang right and I don't have to buy a bigger size.

All the best with your weight loss plans Dana  :)

Dawncam

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 07:26:41 PM »

Ditto.

Dx

Georgeaj2000

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »

Hi Dawncam

The itching stopped as soon as the GP switched to a different brand 😀

With regard to the other comments about carbs etc.  I very rarely eat bread, pasta etc so I've cut that out altogether, I'm not a big potato eater either but I was a massive fruit and veg person (quite easily eat 7-10 a day!) so I've cut them down dramatically. It's suggested that we have 5 fruit n veg (7 is a newer thought) however each portion should be 80 grams. I'm not sure how many actually weigh their fruit but I think many may be surprised that one apple can actually be at least 1.5 times this (pears can be double!) , same for bananas so when people think they're having one serving it's actually more. When losing weight meat portions should be about the size of a pack of playing cards, white fish the size of a cheque book.  The best fruit to eat are berries as they have a lower sugar count and veggies from above the ground, those below again contain more sugar, leafy greens are best.  Controlling carbs helps regulate blood sugar and therefore blood sugar spikes which can trigger us to eat as when the spike then plummets this tells the brains we need to eat (even though it may not have been long since we've eaten) the more stable you can keep your blood sugar the better.

As for weighing its down to the individual and what they can psychologically cope with.  I weigh myself everyday and track it on app that calculates the average over the week and that's what I go off, the average and not what the scales say on the day, this keeps me on track. If I were to weigh myself only once a month I could lose control and put a lot on and for those who know it goes on far more easily than it comes off and I'd rather keep on top of it than let it get to the point where clothes start to feel tight as for me that's too late, but as I said everyone is different and people need to do what works for them.

Exercise is key and 20 mins of high interval intensity training can develop both fitness and stamina far quicker than doing an hour of Zumba, there's been lots of research published on this recently but I've also read that this type of exercise is best for menopausal women.

Hope all the above makes sense and there are some useful thoughts. 

Ps the only reason I know about the weights of fruit is that I used to be a leader for Weight Watchers and I used to demonstrate the differences in size and how it can impact on weight loss.  Also used to demonstrate what a 125ml glass of wine looked like compared to what people usually use - that certainly was an eye opener 😂

Hurdity

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »

Thanks Georgeaj2000 - that's all inteersting stuff. Would quite like to know more about the High Intensity exercise - though even if I found somewhere by the time I've driven there I would want to do an hour - or maybe you learn how to do it and then do it at home which would be even better - as I live out in the country!!

Re the actual diets etc - it seems that different ways suit us all differently not only in terms of our metabolism but also psychologically - like the weighing as you say Georgeaj2000. I have never followed a proper diet as in counting calories, fruit and veg, portion sizes of constituents etc - but I have always lost weight whenever I want to provided I decide on an approach and have the self will to stick at it.

So - in the past ( a few years ago) I've done the Weight Watchers core foods which I got from the internet - and just ate what I wanted when I wanted from that. I also got a Slimming World recipe book (also a few years ago) and roughly got the idea of how it worked and followed that (that was another time). The most recent success has been the low carb one I described - but I never measure or restrict what I eat - but I know when to stop - but I also do not like being hungry so I'm often  snacking on nuts or fruit or yogurt and never count or measure any of it. I also don't want to become obsessed but just don't overeat. I also enjoy drinks (ie alcohol) and treats now and again and when I go on holiday or away or over Christmas I don't bother with any of it and eat what I like - and go back on whatever regime I've decided afterwards.

I am 3/4 stone lighter than when I started the low carb pattern 15 months ago and have kept the weight off by maintaining exercise and low carbs for much of the time :)

Yes I agree about the weight and the middle - I now jump on the scales quite regularly as it is easy to get complacent and think I'm OK but it gradually creeps up again and if I can do the zip up....  ;D

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 11:52:19 PM »

I've often said to my friends that I don't ever want to be "happy" with my weight. I don't mean that in a negative way. It's that I know my own personality, and it's every easy for me to get complacent and start eating those few naughty things a lot more often. So if I always keep wanting to lose "just a few more pounds" then I'll always be vigilant about what I shove in my gob.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »

I have to agree with everything Georgia says about food and exercise. And of course, not everyone is interested in following this sort of routine, and nor should they be - it's entirely personal.

But I could have written her post. I was always slim until menopause. Then suddenly my body changed, even though I was still eating healthily and doing exercise.

But by changing from no carbs to low, specific carbs and doing HITT 3 times a week instead of running, my body has changed again. Not quite back to what it was, but on its way.

I also eat a lot of curries now, which sounds strange. But the ones I make are low fat, high in the right pulses and you only need a little to feel full.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »

Georgia - what's the app for tracking weight that you use?

peri

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »

Noheroicsplease I was the same as you slim until menopause, it really affects your identity doesn't it.  I'm not exactly fat now but not happy.  Can I ask what's the HITT exercise you do?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4