Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 19989 times)

Noheroicsplease

Re: Weight gain
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »

Hi Peri

Yes, it's a mental thing isn't it? I'm not 'fat' but a feeling of heaviness, or thickness around the thighs/middle (even though HITT has really sorted out waist again)...adds another crappy layer to the change...

I do a small bootcamp with a few other women twice/three times a week. It's outside, an hour a time. But there are lots of online programmes you can buy or pull off You Tube.

For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS7XkoGmhXQ

x

Evelyn63

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »

That's a fair point but I am not really bothered what I weigh so long as my clothes fit well and hang right and I don't have to buy a bigger size.

All the best with your weight loss plans Dana  :)

Interesting that that is exactly how I work too Babyjane.  I lost 2 1/2 stone with slimming world a couple of years ago, and have managed to keep it off give or take a couple of pounds.  I rely totally on how my clothes feel, and the fact I am down two sizes and still wearing them two years later is good enough for me .  I understand for those with a history of eating disorder, the control factor plays a big part, so daily weighing factors heavily into that.  I also did the 5:2 after seeing Michael Mosley's programme but I didn't loose much if any weight, and since then I read that the body is put into starvation mode doing this type of diet, so hangs on to every single calorie it can, and enters survival mode.  Since stopping it and the weighing I may have put on 2 to 3 lbs but Im very content and happy in my skin.  I was a size 8 all my life( well there were no size 8"s but close enough in those days,) four children later and menopause and I went up to 11  1/2 stone.  Not happy at all, I hated how I looked , but now feel my body knows better what weight its happy at and Im sitting about 9 stone now and it seems achievable .

babyjane

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »

I think clothes sizing has changed too.  when I got married 40 years ago I weighed 8st 12lb and was a size 12.  these days, after three children, a c-section, a hysterectomy and the menopause I am 9st 11lb and a size 12!

Quite happy though, if I drop any lower now I end up with a turkey neck.

peri

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »

Thanks for that I'll have a look x

Georgeaj2000

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2016, 08:57:56 PM »

Hi noheroicsplease, I'm pleased to hear that someone else has experienced what I have and have changed their diet an exercise regime and seen positive results. I can't tell you the name of the app that I have cause it's not on it anywhere but if you put into your app search weight loss tracker there's a few to choose from, there is one called True Weight Lite that looks as though it does the same thing. Amanda 

Tempest

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »

I'm gaining definitely on Estrogen only. >:(

I was fine before HRT - only a couple of pounds heavier a year after my oopherectomy and I was able to exercise more then too. Since using Estrogen only HRT, I've become much more lethargic and less able to tolerate exercise as it causes my levels to fluctuate wildly. This makes me very distressed - I hate feeling so unfit! :'(

And don't talk about the bloat and fluid retention, even though I'm on a fairly low dose.......

matildamouse

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2016, 04:59:43 AM »

Ladies all very interesting.

I follow a low carb healthy fat (LCHF) lifestyle and able to easily maintain weight on this. The moment I do not eat low carb, I gain and it all goes to my middle area.. I gained about 10kgs  in peri menopause,(with elevated blood glucose, so on my way to type 2 diabetes), but since being postmenopausal and on HRT, I have lost 7 of them again by eating LCHF.  I cut out all bread, processed food, flours and sugar. Only 2 fruits a day, mainly berries and apples. I eat full cream yoghurt, use full cream milk and cream in my coffee. The other fats are avo, olive oil, coconut oil, cheeses and nuts. When I bake, I use almond or coconut flour (not the same but used to it now). Not too worried about the last 3kgs as I will be happy to maintain where I am. I only started losing weight once my estrogen dosage was high enough(50mcg patch) but I am also on vaginal progesterone, so maybe the balance is right now... :-\

My body shape also changed when I lost the weight from moving from my middle to hips and thighs which I prefer. In hindsight I also realised I overtrained at some stage (yoga 3 times a week and walking everyday) and then I did not loose at all. I had an injury and had to stop the yoga and only walk short distances now every other day and suddenly started dropping weight! So it seems to be to find that "sweet spot" with the HRT, diet and exercise....a challenge in itself.

Belladonna

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »

Yes I've absolutely gained weight because of HRT and I'm young so no aging metabolism at fault!
For me it was because of too muc prog I think. Gained weight, my boobs got huge and painful, I felt swollen and fat (I was never anywhere near fat but I've always been slim so it felt awful) and I had insane headaches. I ate 1200 calories a day and kept gaining!

I am now on a combi patch plus extra estrogen patch, in total 250 mcg norethiserone and 100 mcg estradiol. Have lost weight without trying, I eat what I want and don't exercise much. My boobs are back to normal.

People who claim that hormones don't make you gain weight are wrong.

Katejo

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 07:37:57 PM »

I have gradually put  weight since menopause. It is nothing to do with HRT as I have never tried it. More to do with insufficient exercise and some weaknesses in diet. I am still within the normal body mass index range but only just. I made my new Year Resolution early at the beginning of December. Since then I have done 3 group walks ( 5 to 10 miles) and i went swimming today and did about 16 lengths. I do a lot of general walking because i don't drive. On work days i have 4 brisk 10 minute walks to the station and  to work at the other end  (same on the way home). I think that more regular walks/swims/gym and small changes to my diet will do the job. I am about to eat a bowl of vegetarian chilli (I am not veggie but eat plenty of meat free  meals). I am currently 11 and a half stone (almost 5 ft 7) and size 14. Think i would be happy to lose a stone.

Hurdity

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »

Belladonna - it's not that people are wrong to say that hormones  do not make you gain weight - it's just that weight gain is not a standard consequence of taking HRT. Women are all different and react differently to different types of HRT and especially the progestogens, and also whether it is taken orally or transdermally. Because women's metabolism also changes at this time and there is thyroid (and testosterone) function amongst other hormones which confound (or even compound!) the issue one cannot attribute weight gain to HRT in all women.

Anyone who gains weight around this time must have thyroid function checked and ask for the readings (as well as looking at their HRT type and changing if necessary)  if they are doing as you were - ie eating a low calorie diet and exercising - and still gaining weight.

I would have put on weight since menopause and did so - but lost it through rigorous and permanent changes to diet and exercise and I have also been on HRT for nearly 10 years.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]