Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Weight gain  (Read 19987 times)

Georgeaj2000

Weight gain
« on: November 25, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »

Hi Everyone

I'm new to here and also relatively new to the menopause also and need some advice so fingers crossed there's someone out there who can help.

I have started with the menopause this year, thought I'd got away with it at the age of 54 but
apparently not! I have tried two types of HRT Elleste Duet Conti 2mg, this was fine for the first
month then I got extreme all over body itching and also some weight gain. I am now on Estradiol
valerate 2mg / Medroxyprogesterone 5mg tablets and I am experience even more weight gain.
There will be some out there that say that there is no research to back HRT and weight gain up
however I would argue this. I am very well aware that as you get older your metabolism slows down
as a result of muscle loss and you need to eat less calories as a result. Because of this I now eat on
average 1000-1200 calories a day and now also run 2-3 times a week and do a 20 minute kettlebell
work out every weekday. This is different to last year when I was on 1500 cals a day and didn't
exercise anywhere near as much, the only difference therefore is the fact I am now on HRT and I have no gained over a stone. 

When I visited my GP about the itching she asked what HRT any of my friends were on as I could try
that. Fortunately for my friends I am the first to experience this so couldn't ask for their advice. So I
am asking you. Has anyone experienced weight gain and then switched their HRT and seen a weight
loss and if you have could you let me know what you have tried so I can at least suggest this to my
GP. There is a genuine need for me to lose this weight as I have suffered from an eating disorder in
the past and whilst I can justify to some degree a small weight increase 15lbs isn't what I had in
mind! I don't particularly want to come off HRT as the other benefits there are such as I now sleep, I
hadn't realised how little sleep I'd been getting, no more mood swings, bursting into tears etc,
better concentration and memory so I really would be loathed to come off it entirely so if there is
something out there that has worked for someone I'd be eternally grateful to hear it.  Here's hoping in advance.  Amanda

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weight gain
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.

I too have struggled with eating problems since age 3 ……… I ate enough to keep me upright  :-\

Have you stood on the scales or is it a feeling of weight gain?  The reason I ask is that my apron dropped so that I look fatter but in actual fact, no weight has been gained  ::), simply distributed 'southwards'  >:( ……… also, if one exercises one can build muscle which will 'weight' heavy.

As the oestrogen levels drop off muscles become lax = aches and pains plus my experience of apron drop.  Itchyness is a common part of peri …… as is vaginal atrophy because skin thins = urine infection-type symptoms.

Read. Ask.  Let us know how you get on.  Maybe when you return to this particular GP point her in this direction  :-\!

Georgeaj2000

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »

Hi, thanks for posting. Yes I get on the scales everyday and can vary by 4-5lbs each day, I get on everyday so I can take an average over the week as I know there can be daily fluctuations. I didn't have any itchiness until I was on the elleste and it disappeared as soon as I started the other. I feel like a water sponge and bloated, ive even restricted carbs as I know that they can have a part to play with water retention. I've booked myself a a series of training sessions with a personal trainer to see if his ideas on nutrition and different exercise can help, why Mother Nature seems to think we need to go through this is beyond me  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:37:11 PM »

Let us know if you get any real helpful hints!

We have several threads on exercise here …….

abbyH

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »

HI Georgeaj2000
I sympathise.. As a fellow ED sufferer I am hugely upset about the 10lb+ weight gain I've experienced over the past 2 years (I'm now 52 and all of this started when I turned 50!)

I'm slightly different as in surgical meno since June .. I'm surprised with the amount you are eating and exercising that you are gaining. I would maybe think about a different HRt delivery, the tablets may interact differently with your metabolism? I'm now on Everol patch.. and hopefully going to add testosterone.. I was trying the gel (oestrogel) but this method feels better to me..

Have you had your thyroid checked? notorious at this time of life for becoming out of wack. Get tests but don't just accept if you are 'normal' ask for full panel including antibodies.. They won't test T3 but a private test comes out at £30 something on the net...

It might also be worth checking other things that could be affecting your metabolism..
Try not to worry unduly.. it sounds like you are fit and well and used to being slim (as I was)
The 5.2 diet has good results but you are already on a very low calorie regime...

hope you get some answers!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »

How are the bowels - regular output ?  ;) 'cos constipation can cause weight gain …...

Georgeaj2000

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »

Hi Abby

Thanks for getting back to me, as you'll know it's hard enough dealing with weight issues but when you add hormonal influences too it's just a nightmare! I'm at the Drs on Friday so I'll ask about a different delivery, it just seems to be a minefield. I'll ask about my thyroid too I wouldn't have thought about that. Once I've seen her I'll let you all know what she says

Georgeaj2000

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 02:02:28 PM »

Hi CLDK, I'm having "food retention" as well as water retention  ;D but is irregular and I've no idea why it happens sometimes and not others!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 03:20:23 PM »

'slow transit' can be sorted but it takes a while …… I have used Actimel successfully, drinking several pots per day and taking my evening meds with a pot.  This regime eased my bowel movement and I notice if I don't drink 'enough' probiotic.

Dawncam

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »

Hi Georgeaj2000

Don't care what people say, your weight increases with hrt. Often it's only water retention which can be helped with utrogestan which is a natural progesterone and for some, a diuretic but not everyone gets that effect from it. I've found after trying various different delivery methods that patches make me retain a lot of water, don't know why but it doesn't happen with gel. There's also a theory that low oestrogen makes your body store fat as oestrogen is stored in fat and therefor provides a supply. I'm not sure on the exact science of this but worth checking your E levels. This brings me on to final point; low E ALWAYS makes me intensely itchy, I've broken skin with scratching in the past. It's a sure fire indication that E is low for me.

The most modern hrt preps are now regarded as the transdermal bio-identical ones, if you do some research on bioidentical hrt you'll find all the info. In terms of progesterone, there's synthetic progestins (MPA which you are using is synthetic), or utrogestan which is micronised progesterone and therefor the same as you natural progesterone. The other option is the Mirena or Jaydess coil which is in situ in the womb so (in theory) produces less side effects.

Probably worth doing a bit of research before you get to GP as most of them are clueless on the range of options available. You also need to decide if you want to mimick a cycle or go for no bleed option. Hope this helps and not repeating what you already know.

Dxx

Ps. Testosterone is now recognised as a necessary add-in for some women on hrt, so worth researching that too.

Dawncam

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

Pps - I find effervescent 1000mg vit C tabs very good for keeping me regular- ascorbic acid is a great 'natural' laxative.

Dxx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »

That would go up my nose  ::)  -  a bit like 'Andrews Liver Salts'  ;)

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »

On a slightly different note, do most of you have electronic scales or older manual ones? I have decided that I need new ones to keep an eye on my weight. I threw  old scruffy manual scales out some time ago and never replaced them because I wasn't confident of the accuracy of the electronic ones. I did buy some and take them home but they disagreed with my old scales by several pounds so I took them back. I had also  tried them in different rooms in the house and they weren't consistent.
Any particular make recommended?

Dawncam

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »

Not sure that obsessive weighing works. Our bodies vary from day to day regardless of what room we're in!

An average is more realistic.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »

Not sure that obsessive weighing works. Our bodies vary from day to day regardless of what room we're in!

An average is more realistic.
I wasn't being obsessive but just wanted reasonable accuracy 😊
Pages: [1] 2 3 4