Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Menopause on ITV  (Read 9103 times)

nearly50

Re: Menopause on ITV
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »

thanks for the link Emma. While searching I found a couple of Unison guides
https://www.unison.org.uk/search/menopause/

From a personal point of view, this part is interesting to me
"Sickness absence procedures should make it
clear that they are flexible enough to cater for
menopause-related sickness absence. Women
should experience no detriment because they
may need time off during this time."

I hadn't had a day off in almost 10 years but have had periods of sickness over the last couple of years. My workplace is now proposing  decreasing annual leave entitlement by 3 days for anyone without perfect attendance and I wonder if I can use this to challenge it.

Autumn16

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »

Really interesting comments Emma and Hurdity. I am an occupational therapist and if something causes a disruption of quality of life and difficulty carrying out activities of daily living, then this could classed as a disability temporary or long term.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

Bramble - the WHOLE point of the programme was how to encourage Employers to accept that menopausal symptoms require consideration within the work place!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »

Yes but that would be the case for most of us surely - with lack of sleep due to night sweats affecting most women for a start let alone all the others symptoms and that certainly affects quality of life!!! It's the idea of classing it as a disability that I would take issue with as that would feel like being on a par with " the fairer sex" being weaker etc - and I would not want the idea of our whole gender being potentially classed as disabled through menopause for 10 years!!!! This does not mean that I don't think it is very important that it is recognised, treated, allowed for properly in the workplace etc - it is that definition (of disability) I would want to resist!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »

Nearly50 - there are some ladies who know NOTHING about menopause including hot flushes.  It really did impact on me how much flushing can control a ladies quality of Life.  The point of showing the lady flushing was to explain how the NHS accommodated her by allowing her to wear a Uniform in a different material to what is usually provided.

I wonder how many of you actually watched the programme  :-\.

I did wonder in the early hours whether this particular lady suffered more severe hot flushes because she works in the Neo-natal Unit - it is proven that girls housed together in closed situations: i.e. Boarding School, Dancing College, Convents: are likely to menstruate within a few days of each other.  I wonder if, by working at menopause in a Unit where there are hormones floating about - i.e. lactating mothers, tiny babies needing quality care - would encourage flushing?

Hurdity -  would it be handy for Employers to use the 'disability' label in order to 'ditch' those affected!  I was disabled by my periods but could never have gained disability assistance because it was 'what girls went through'. 

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »

thanks for the link Emma. While searching I found a couple of Unison guides
https://www.unison.org.uk/search/menopause/

From a personal point of view, this part is interesting to me
"Sickness absence procedures should make it
clear that they are flexible enough to cater for
menopause-related sickness absence. Women
should experience no detriment because they
may need time off during this time."

I hadn't had a day off in almost 10 years but have had periods of sickness over the last couple of years. My workplace is now proposing  decreasing annual leave entitlement by 3 days for anyone without perfect attendance and I wonder if I can use this to challenge it.
They are proposing this for anyone who takes a single day off sick during the year?

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 03:27:52 PM »

A Union is required in order to Challenge this.  Otherwise it could be seen as constructive dismissal.

nearly50

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 04:52:45 PM »

They are proposing this for anyone who takes a single day off sick during the year?
Yes, the Unions are negotiating changes to terms and conditions at the moment and this one is still on the table. We're getting 90 day notices in between Christmas and New Year. I think they'll word it that everyone's annual leave decreases, and those with Perfect Attendance get a bonus of 3 days extra. I'd say they get the bonus of having had good enough health to come into work every day! There is the assumption that everyone's at it, and this doesn't help women with menopausal symptoms trying to piece together a myriad of symptoms.

It is daft as if I have one day off sick, then I'll be making sure I have another 3 off at a time which suits me ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »

The synchronisation of periods is a myth, I'm afraid. I was told this for a fact in Psychology many years ago and always doubted it (we were always sceptical about the scientific methods used by psychologists).  The original researchers where not very hot on their maths and statistics. What they 'uncovered' was random chance which they failed to follow up in the long term.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37256161

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »

However, when I was on holiday with girls only, we all started periods within 3 days of each other: and I wasn't due for weeks  ::)

Nearly50 - this idea is a Change of Contract ………. but relying on the whole Company or Dept. to stick to the idea that no one will sign is difficult to maintain - been there, done that, got kicked in the teeth  :'(

One cannot be dismissed due to being off sick.  One cannot be made redundant if the job remains …….. however, if a Company does not allow a Union in place they can get away with the above  :sigh:

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »

Going back to the lady GP who said that a 10 minute appointment was insufficient to address a lot of the issues a menopausal woman needs to raise, well when I want to discuss something at length with my GP or more than one issue, I usually book a double appointment.  I have never been challenged for doing so, in fact my GP likes it because if I don't take up the whole 20 minutes it helps them catch up if they are running late  :)

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »

Hi BJ - I muttered "so allow patients to make a double appt." when she told the viewers that 10 mins. isn't enough.  Whose time is it anyway  ::) and take that List!

Hurdity

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 09:24:28 AM »

I tried to find this programme last night but it didn't appear on the ITV Hub - which is a weird thing - I couldn't find anywhere to look up programmes accoridng to the viewing timetable, there seemed to be a random assortment and when I typed in "menopause" into the search facility nothing came up!! iPlayer is so much better - good job I don't rarely watch ITV! Has anyone found it or managed to watch it on catch-up at all?

Hurdity x

Autumn16

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »

Good morning
On itv hub t shows the tonight programme and says 5 episodes select that and you will see the menopause programme 😁

Dorothy

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »

I've only ever had 10 minute appointments with my GP and she still managed to sort my meno symptoms - if a GP hasn't the first idea, then obviously it will take longer, but she kept herself informed (partly through this website!) and so didn't take ages to work out what to suggest (thought I might need longer with my new GP who hadn't even heard of VA or Ovestin...)

It would be good to see more flexibility in the workplace though.  I am really struggling at work now.  There are lots of things they could do which would make my life a lot easier and improve my productivity, but they are very inflexible.  For example, the uniform is very fixed, I can't add or subtract layers and the fibres aren't natural, which means I spend most of my working day either boiling with hot flushes, or freezing cold and shivering once they have passed. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3