Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Menopause on ITV  (Read 9101 times)

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
Menopause on ITV
« on: November 24, 2016, 07:51:08 PM »

Really good programme about Menopause on ITV right now!

Ms Saucy

Re: Menopause on ITV
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »

I saw some of it.
Awesome in raising awareness in the work place toox

robotwars

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 08:28:51 PM »

I did see this, it was great for information about what the menopause is, but it would have been good to talk about how women can deal with the symptoms and what the options are.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »

You could have phoned in, one of the Doctors was doing a 'forum' after the programme.

It appears that Employers have been given 'guidelines' as to what support women may require in the workplace but I couldn't glean who from  ::).

DH was a Manager and no way would he have been allowed under current Law to ask a lady what is wrong.  Now guidelines at least will give managers the opportunity of telling Staff that these coping strategies are in place and 'if you ever need to talk about what you require in order to make your work/life style balance easier, you can talk to your Line Manager'.  Of course Companies over a certain amount of employees have to have a Nurse on Site.  But talking to the Nurse is different to talking to a Line Manager  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »

What did you think over all Heather?  A goer or not?

Cathh3110

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »

I agree with Robotwars more info on dealing with the symptoms would have been good

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »

The programme wasn't about that  ::) it was about the need to bring menopause into the workplace.  How Managers should learn to deal with the problems that women might face as they age.  How to accommodate The Change.  Maybe have a look-see on 'catch up' ……….

Dealing with symptoms is where MM steps in  :-\

bramble

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 12:03:47 AM »

DH was a Manager and no way would he have been allowed under current Law to ask a lady what is wrong. 

Well I think you are wrong there. As a manager one of my responsibilities, as it is with any manager, was to look after the welfare of my staff, whether they were male or female. And that did at times mean sitting down with them in private and asking what was wrong. You would be failing in your duties if you didn't.
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »

The fact there was a programme at all about it was good. But I would have preferred if it had focussed more on the myriad of different symptoms and gave an indication of where a woman should go for help etc rather than spend quite a bit of the time focussing on how to deal with it in the workplace. I feel that should have been a much smaller segment.
And I have a bit of a problem with the female gp who more or less shrugged her shoulders and said a ten minute appointment was useless for a woman with menopause issues. If that is the case, And we all know it is, why can't she make the necessary changes in her practice to make longer appointment times in those instances? That makes me mad!

Bramble

Samade

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 10:21:44 AM »

It was good that it raises menopause issues in the workplace but thought it was too " hot flush" focussed, which to me could be misleading about the wide range of menopause issues

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 10:44:02 AM »

The programme was a start and easy to watch for those who haven't a clue how difficult it is to be menopausal for some women. Just because the 'change' is a natural process, it doesn't mean that symptoms can't be very serious and debilitating, and not down to a poor attitude. Hopefully, there will be more programmes to follow, perhaps addressing more in depth issues. I'm glad they touched on early and surgical menopause.

nearly50

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »

I agree Samade, it focused too much on hot flushes which everyone knows about. Thought that was maybe more palatable than talking about heavy periods, flooding etc.

My workplace does not allow me to have any control over radiators so I did find the talk of guidelines interesting and it would maybe be an idea for me to get onto my union about this.

Mojo

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »

I guess it was a start, but I think the programme was very light, a follow on programme would be good to explain that its not just about a hot flush! and there wasn't info on treatment, help etc.

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »

There's a new document out today
Guidance on menopause and the workplace (pdf) - 25th Nov 2016
You can download it here:
http://www.fom.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/Guidance-on-menopause-and-the-workplace-v6.pdf

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 01:01:23 PM »

I haven't watched it yet but anything at all which raises awareness of menopause especially on national TV at fairly prime time has got to be a good thing! In terms of the workplace this is vital isn't it as pension age increases so a substantial proportion of women will be working through menopause and well beyond.

Interesting link Emma! Very timely guidance.

A couple of things I would take issue with in there: firstly top of page 3 - I would be somewhat disturbed by a move towards thinking about menopause as a disability which is mentioned  :o . I agree women are adversely affect to a greater or lesser degree but a label such as this would be a retrograde step I feel. Any labels of health conditions carry with them an implication of acceptance and a possible "there there" approach. Whilst it is important to realise the severity of symptoms for some, we can and should all work towards treatment that means we can function normally and not dare I say it again - be signed off so that we can lie on a sofa and mop our brow until it passes. I know for some women a period of temporary sick leave may be necessary - but a disability  ??? .

The other thing is at the end it says that menopause is a natural and temporary stage in women's lives - which of course is not strictly true in the sense that we know it. While the point at which the ovaries pack up only happens once, as we all know oestrogen deficiency lasts forever so for example employers and managers need to know that without HRT for some women hot flushes will last for many years after this point, and for others the low mood and depression caused by oestrogen deficiency may well only become apparent after hot flushes stop. Although this won't necessarily be attributed to menopause it may well lead to an apparent character change! "What's happened to so-and so? She used to be so lively and out-going".

Hurdity x

Pages: [1] 2 3