Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Programme on Menopause  (Read 13198 times)

Ju Ju

Programme on Menopause
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »

7.30pm The Truth about the Menopause:Tonight ITV

Dancinggirl

Re: Programme on Menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »

I'm not sure I can bare to watch this - if they don't give a good balanced view and actually highlight all the awful symptoms so many of us suffer, then I will end up feeling angry.  If they have doctors highlighting all the risks of HRT without putting forward the benefits, that would also make me seethe.  So often I see articles in magazines or features on TV that push the ‘natural way' when in fact many of the meno symptoms are far from ‘natural' - they are life limiting.  I do hope that they get it right for once - there is such a great need to teach society what meno is about - stop it all being taboo or something to be ashamed off.  DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »

I'll record it and watch it later. I can let you know what I think if that would help.

Lanzalover

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »

I agree with all you have said DG.

Might Sky plus it and watch when feeling up to it as just back from holiday today and not feeling great.

Do hope they also mention all the other things as well as hot flushes,night sweats as most DOCTORS only seem to sit up and take notice if you mention them.None of the numerous other symptoms seem to be on most doctors radar as being meno related.

Lanalover x

Megamind

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

I saw an advert for it on Lorraine and the woman and her husband were talking about her hot flushes.

Sounds like they cover some interesting areas particularly how women cope in the workplace.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-23/quarter-of-women-consider-leaving-work-because-of-the-menopause/

Barefoot

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »

I think I'll record it and watch it when I'm alone. My poor husband must think I'm obsessed with all things menopause. It's all I talk about recently.

I'm with you DG on the 'natural' remedies. Yesterday I had a friend insist vitamin b6 was the answer.  What on earth is wrong with properly researched and tested therapies?!

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:41:29 PM »

Loose women are chatting about it, once again highlighting flushes

Janet Street Porter sailed through hers but said she's got full respect for women suffering and viewers are contacting them saying there's so much more to it than hot flushes x

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »

They've been discussing menopause on ITV news. The programme later sounds well worth watching. It will be about lots of symptoms and how difficult it is to work for some women and how they can be supported at work. I'll watch a recording tomorrow.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »

So don't watch Dancinggirl - what makes you think 'they' will 'push' natural remedies any differently to how HRT is promoted on here?

This programme is about how to encourage employers to support their female work force.

Menopause Matters …….. so every opinion should be discussed and people can dismiss what is not appropriate for their situations: whether it be HRT - successful or not; as well as if ADs are useful, whether cotton clothing can ease night-time symptoms - how long is a piece of string  :-\  ???

From the interviews I've seen this evening, it's a good over-all view from talking with ladies who SUFFER!  It is raising awareness.  What ever is 'said' then it's getting out into the public domain.

I don't think it's a particularly long programme: 30 mins.: so what is covered will be telescoped, I don't think if the subject was discussed on a programme that takes all day it would be possible to cover it all.  But if it promotes further discussion and maybe more programmes: I really respect Julia Etchingham as a Journalist so will watch with interest.

If viewers find it helpful then maybe they can suggest more programmes!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 06:50:30 PM by CLKD »

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »

I just saw a snippet on the news, Michelle Keaton being interviewed really brought a lump to my throat as I can relate to her description

I'm recording it x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »

Oh poor June, the nurse. Her meltdowns are something else. She is literally running with sweat bless her!  :'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 08:01:22 PM »

CKLD - I didn't mean they would push natural remedies!!! I perhaps didn't express myself in the right way but others have understood what I meant. I get fed up with the idea that we should accept that the menopause is a ‘natural' process and that we must simply 'ride the storm'.
I did actually read up a bit about this programme and it does raise some interesting points - particularly regarding the workplace.
I want there to be far more out there that encourages women to seek help for meno symptoms and not simply told they should change their lifestyle and get on with it - we all know there is far more to it than that.
The advice and press coverage needs to be less patronising and far more understanding.
Mental health - or admitting one needs help with mental health issues is another taboo subject that is slowly being tackled - thank goodness.  Education and awareness are the key to getting better outcomes.
I'm sure I can access this programme online so I will watch it at some time. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »

:thankyou: for the claficitation [sp]

Interesting programme which I thought covered lots in the 30 mins. slot it was given with the opportunity of phoning in to one of the Doctors for discussion. 

As I stated in the other thread:

"It appears that Employers have been given 'guidelines' as to what support women may require in the workplace but I couldn't glean who from  ::).

"DH was a Manager and no way would he have been allowed under current Law to ask a lady what is wrong.  Now guidelines at least will give managers the opportunity of telling Staff that these coping strategies are in place and 'if you ever need to talk about what you require in order to make your work/life style balance easier, you can talk to your Line Manager'.  Of course Companies over a certain amount of employees have to have a Nurse on Site.  But talking to the Nurse is different to talking to a Line Manager  ::) "

However: menopause is 'natural', what else could it be - in the same way as periods are 'natural', 'angina' is natural …… it's when conditions become difficult to manage that people need to seek medical advice.  It did mention that some ladies prefer to try to cope with it by natural methods or by taking HRT.  Having choice is important for me.  To be able to remain as symptom free as possible. 

I wonder what has triggered these 'guidelines'  :-\ in order to generate a programme.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:12:53 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 04:02:50 AM »

DG, do watch! The programme was more about how the menopause impacts on many women. Treatments were not discussed. It was about how this impacts on both home and work life, and in particular how women can be supported at work. I think programmes like this are an excellent way of raising awareness of the profound effect the 'change' can have on a large number of woman. I could have done with more awareness myself and would have sought help in order to carry on working for longer if I had felt supported, understood and listened to, particularly from male doctors. I had many symptoms, many vague, some profound that I had no idea was anything to with hormones or lack of. I hope there will be more and more programmes like this, which was easy to watch and well put together.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Ju Ju - it sounds really interesting and indeed is going some way to informing people, raising awareness and tackling the taboos. I will find the time to watch it online.  DG x
Pages: [1] 2 3