Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Elleste duet conti  (Read 3696 times)

fallingapart

Elleste duet conti
« on: December 11, 2016, 07:57:08 PM »

Hi folks, well it's been 2+ years since I was here last. Peri menopause started about nearly 4 years ago when I was 41. Last period was about a year ago. I had some annoying symptoms to start with but the last year or so things settled down & apart from ending up a size 18 clothing after being a size 10 the first 40 years of my life, I probably have had a fairly easy ride.
My sis went on HRT recently, she's nearly 3 years older than me, apparently her doctor recommended it to protect bones?
I decided to visit my doctor, & she agreed that at the moment, the news about HRT is good so it's probably a good idea to take it until I am 50 at least just to give some protection to bones, as we have Osteoporosis in the family.
Anyway, I have been on these Elleste duet conti ones for 2 weeks & blimey, boobs feel like they are someone elses stuck on my chest haha
Is this normal? They feel like rocks, but not to touch, just in general.
Am I daft taking them? Am I putting myself at risk from Breast cancer?
Is anyone on them & have any pro's & cons about them?
Thanks in advance x

donnacrichton

Re: Elleste duet conti
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:57:28 PM »

Hi don't want to scroll past sure someone with more knowledge will jump in. I was 38 diagnosed peri now 44. Osteoporosis runs in my family too and was advised a good idea until natural would have happened. I was advised to take evening primrose oil capsules as I had the same problem x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »

fallingapart
a. - you need HRT as you are too young to be oestrogen deficient.
b. - side effects like sore boobs are common and this should settle.
c. - Breast cancer risk only kicks in if you are still using HRT at 60.
d. - HRT is the best way to protect your bones and heart for the long term and will also help prevent urogenital    atrophy.
Basically, you are doing the right thing.  If after 3 months you find this HRT is giving too many side effects then try something different.  Conti is always more challenging than the sequi HRT because of taking progesterone every day but with sequi you do have to put up with a monthly bleed.  Keep going and see who it goes - you may be surprised in a few weeks, just how good you feel.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:12:21 PM »

Hi fallingapart - I agree with Dancinggirl's recommendations.

re the breast cancer risk - the information is given here on this website:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

"Current opinion is that HRT taken for less than 5 years does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer but studies have shown that after 5 years of use, there is an association with a small increased risk. Once HRT has been stopped, the risk returns back to baseline. This suggests that the use of HRT may promote the growth of breast cancer cells which are already present if HRT is taken for more than 5 years after the age of 50, in some women; there is no evidence that HRT causes breast cancer.

It seems very likely that different types of HRT are associated with different risk, estrogen alone does not appear to increase the risk while there appears to be a small increased risk of cancer promotion with long term use of estrogen combined with progestogen (combined HRT).

The NICE guideline on Diagnosis and Mangement of Menopause concluded that for every 1000 women aged 50 to 59, combined HRT may be associated with an extra 5 cases of breast cancer over 7.5 years, with no extra cases for women taking estrogen only. (NICE guideline)

If HRT is commenced at a young age because of premature menopause, then the use of HRT up to the age of 50 does not increase breast cancer risk any more than in women who continue to have periods up to the age of 50. Additional risk from HRT only applies if it is then taken for more than 5 years after 50.
"

So there are risks according to the current info but the thing about being under 60 as that if you are getting menopausal symptoms, the benefits are greater than the risks until the age of 60, and even then they are thought to be approximately the same for the next 10 years. See this page here with the balancing scales: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Also there are other risks factors for breast cancer ( same link):

"Comparing other known risk factors for breast cancer with HRT risk can be helpful in putting risk into perspective:

more than 2-3 units of alcohol per day increases risk by 1.5x,
postmenopausal obesity by 1.6x,
late first pregnancy ( more than age 30) by 1.9x
more than 5 years of HRT by 1.35x."

Hurdity x

fallingapart

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:19:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies. That's reassured me then. I'll stick with it. Only thing I am worried about at the moment is the period pains. No period starts, but the period pains you'd get the day before or morning of one starting. Very bizarre! Had it the other day most the day, then it was fine a few days & today it's back again.
Possibly just another side affect?
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:57:57 PM »

Bump

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »

fallingapart - stomach cramps are a common side effects of HRT - particularly the conti HRT.  This should settle - early days yet.  DG x

samweller161

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »

The sore boobs will not last - with my first HRT I tried (the stuff made of horses wee or whatever it is), the left one was like a ROCK, I am not kidding.  I now take Elleste Duet and it went fairly quickly - nil desperandum!

xx