Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What to ask for?  (Read 2044 times)

flufferama

What to ask for?
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »

I'm seeing my 'second opinion' gynae next week.

Cutting a long story short, I was clobbered with severe symptoms in July - insomnia, palpitations, anxiety, low mood hit hard and fast. Bloods showed very low oestrogen.
I'd been using Evorel 50 patches one week a month and after being told to use them continuously the oestrogen rose right up to 750. While the mood lifted somewhat the other symptoms did not. I also had two extremely light, oily periods which is unheard of for me, I usually need to use a menstrual cup and a maxi pad!

I ended up on anti anxiety medication because I couldn't continue the way I was going with a 6 week wait to see the gynae. I wasn't in a place where I could tinker with HRT to get it right, I was in an awful state.
The medication is working thankfully.

Unsurprisingly, because I know hormones are to blame for the 'breakdown', I've now skipped a period for the first time in my entire life. No sign of it, having been like clockwork for the last 28 years.

So, what do I ask the gynae for? I'm happy to continue with the patches and was thinking of asking for Utrogestan with it?

I know everyone reacts differently to different HRT but I'm wondering if this would be a good starting point?

My aim is to get the hormones sorted and then get off the anti anxiety medication. I need it until I nail the hormonal root of the problems, which I hope I can do relatively quickly. I'm 40 if that makes any difference.

Oops. Forgot to add, I'm wary of Mirena and would rather first try a progestin I can just stop if it's not agreeing with me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:37:37 PM by flufferama »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What to ask for?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:42:15 PM »

Don't be in too much hurry to ditch the anti-anxiety medication.  6-8 months from starting will allow you to get benefit as well as giving you time to consider what to try in the way of HRT.  It doesn't matter what is causing the anxiety, if it's over-whelming it requires treatment - allows us to 'see the wood for the trees'  ;).  If hormone treatment helps other symptoms then is the time to consider stopping the anti-anxiety meds..  I take Propranolol daily as well as having an emergency drug when anxiety floors me.

Maybe make a list of symptoms and decide what you would like to control first.  Keeping a mood/symptom/food diary can be useful too. 

I am sure Members will be along with experiences and suggestions regarding Mirena etc., bearing in mind that some ladies really suffer with the Progesterone part of treatment.

Let us know how you get on?

flufferama

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »

Thanks, I'm not in a hurry as such but I'm starting on what I'm guessing is a long mid/late peri stage and the medication I'm on does have long term side effects. I'm happy to take it, it's got me back to work, but long term I'm hoping HRT will do the same job, or at least most of it!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »

I used to feel like that.  Then when I realised that, in our case, by my taking ADs my husband and I have a Life again.  Fortunately side-effects are tolerable …….. and I think that because I was on a long-term regime I avoided menopausal anxiety  ::)  ???

Let us know how you get on!

flufferama

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »

Oh goodness I'm a different person since I started the medication! But it's not an SSRI, I can't tolerate them at all.

I do know I can't stay on unopposed oestrogen though.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

I am really surprised that Members with knowledge haven't dropped by  :-\

I haven't used HRT except for vaginal atrophy.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »

flufferama -  It sounds to me as though you are getting classic peri meno symptoms but have been given strange advice about using oestrogen!!!
You will need to use progesterone to protect your womb lining from building up  and you could ask for Utrogestan or Provera and take this for 10-12 days each month alongside the oestrogen patches.
It will be trial and error before you find a progesterone that suits you but if you try Provera first and you find it suits you, then this might indicate that the Mirena could be an option later if you wish.
CKLD is right - don't consider stopping the ADs until you have the HRT sorted. 
Keep us posted.  DG x