Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Alternative HRT brand to Femoston  (Read 4265 times)

Elsiebear

Alternative HRT brand to Femoston
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »

I am seeing my Dr tomorrow after suffering for a few months with taking Femoston 2/10. The white pills(progesterone) kill me and I'm sick of feeling so much PMT and bloody periods every month when all that had been gone from my life for 2  years prior to starting it .

I either want to change brands to a much more gentle progesterone or stop altogether .... what brands can you suggest would suit me better ( in in U.K.)
I've read a lot about the one where you only have a 3 monthly bleed ... I like the sound of that have any of you taken that one

Thanks x

Dancinggirl

Re: Alternative HRT brand to Femoston
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:32:19 PM »

The alternative for you could be Utrogestan.  You need to ask for the oestrogen and progesterone as separate items - so you would have oestrogen as either pills, patch or Oestrogel and then Utrogestan capsules (micronised progesterone) that would be taken for 10-12 days each month.  All progesterones can give PMT to a degree and HRT generally has to be a balance of benefits versus side effects. Utrogestan is bio identical and can bring a certain amount of sedative effects which many do not like but some women manage to use Utrogestan vaginally which can reduce side effects - hopefully those that do this will be along with advice.
It's worth giving Utrogestan a go to see if it suits you.
Another alternative would be to have a Mirena fitted as less progesterone is absorbed systemically therefore brings fewer side effects.
It is trial and error with HRTs and it all depends on whether you get enough benefits.  I'd give yourself a break from HRT first, if you uncertain whether to continue with HRt or not - really assess how you feel without HRT and then go back on if need be. DG x

Hurdity

Re: Alternative HRT brand to Femoston
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »

Just to add that the 3-monthly preparation Tridestra - listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php (scroll down) although supposed to be for peri-menopause - can in fact cause breakthrough bleeding if you are very early peri-menopause as it does not shut down your cycle so your own hormones can override the HRT. Not that many women on here seem to take this and from what I recall some have had the problem of much heavier bleeding as the progestogen is only taken every 3 months so the womb lining has longer to build up.

If you go to the home page of the forum and do a search you will find any threads on this.

In your position if you are early peri I would go for Mirena or utrogestan as Dancinggirl suggests, and depending on your age if you are on a medium dose oestrogen, be looking towards a slightly longer cycle if possible (eg 6 weeks) with the approval and supervision of your doctor to minimise the time on the progesterone. I take it vaginally on long cycle (6-8 weeks) but I am on medium dose oestrogen and well post-menopause! This keeps my lining thin.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x