Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Holidays 2017  (Read 66979 times)

dazned

Re: Holidays 2017
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »

Dulciana if you like the highlands why not look into touring Snowdonia,of course I'm biased ! ::)
The scenery is stunning and plenty to do,castles galore,slate mines,museums,mountains and beaches all in a smallish area. :)

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »

Dulciana the area around Cork in Ireland is beautiful & there s lots to do. As Dazned mentioned Snowdonia & North Wales is also wonderful getaway. Cyprus has your criteria especially up in he Troodos mountains and all the painted churches, there are lots of archeological sites to visit, also good value out of main holiday season. If I think of any others will let you know x

dulciana

« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

Dulciana if you like the highlands why not look into touring Snowdonia,of course I'm biased ! ::)
The scenery is stunning and plenty to do,castles galore,slate mines,museums,mountains and beaches all in a smallish area. :)

That sounds lovely, Dazned.  Thanks for the idea!

dulciana

« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »

Dulciana the area around Cork in Ireland is beautiful & there s lots to do. As Dazned mentioned Snowdonia & North Wales is also wonderful getaway. Cyprus has your criteria especially up in he Troodos mountains and all the painted churches, there are lots of archeological sites to visit, also good value out of main holiday season. If I think of any others will let you know x

That sounds fantastic too, YG.  Thank you also! 
Dulciana

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2017, 09:05:06 PM »

OK - how far do you want to travel?  B&B/Hotels? 

Down as far as Hexham - Hadrian's Wall, Hexham Gaol, stunning scenery - of course, there's the history of the Revevers (sp) too
Durham - a City I could live in as it's pretty, walkable and has easy access to countryside
Alnwick - Castle, Gardens, Town and surrounding area
Rothbury - has a NT house close by, of course, name escapes me  ::)

Further down: York and Ripon; Wells, Cheddar Gorge Caves, Bath; Coventry, Stratford on Avon [antique shops, butterfly park] Leamington Spa, Warwick ........

Norfolk - full of history and querky towns etc., Norwich, Gt Yarmouth, Cromer, Sheringham then inland to the Shell Museum

South Coast: Dover, Leeds Castle, Brighton, Hove ......... pays your monies, takes your choice ;-). - Most towns have on-line tourist information for accommodation and a 'what to do' section

dulciana

« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »

Thanks CLKD!

babyjane

« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »

Cragside CLKD

Rothbury - has a NT house close by, of course, name escapes me  ::)

We did Northumberland this year, have done Dorset many a time and the Isle of Wight (but could be further than you want to go?  It's like going abroad without going abroad and the climate is very mild  :)

littleminnie

« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »

Most places in this country are nice if you get good weather.  'If'

CLKD

« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »

Tnx - Cragside, that's it  ;D

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »

We did Northumberland this year, have done Dorset many a time and the Isle of Wight (but could be further than you want to go?  It's like going abroad without going abroad and the climate is very mild  :)
[/quote]
Babyjane we did a week in Northumberland this month, we stayed in Seahouses this time, 8 years ago we stayed outside Alnwick. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

CaroleM

« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »

Dulciana, I had no idea you live in Scotland, it might be a bit of a busman's holiday wouldn't it!  I have strong ties to the Highlands, an ancestor is remembered at Glenfinnan. We are MacBean's.  When DH and I visited Glen Coe my deep love of history brought the events there to life in my head. It was as if I could shut my eyes, calm my mind and I could 'hear' the slaughter. DH did give me a sideways look, but my Mum knew exactly what I meant when I told her. That confused DH even further ::)

Have you decided anywhere you might like to holiday in next year?

Brighteyes

babyjane

« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »

Babyjane we did a week in Northumberland this month, we stayed in Seahouses this time, 8 years ago we stayed outside Alnwick. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Goodness me yes, loved it (hubby knows it well as his grandparents were from Newcastle). In 2003 we stayed in Beadnell near Seahouses and this time in Rothbury, near Alnwick  ;D.  Plan to go back the year after next and stay further down near Hadrian's Wall and Vindolanda.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:18 AM »

I SO need a holiday so does hubby, we are on our knees to be truthful but can't do anything until we have my Mum better and settled.

babyjane

« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2017, 08:25:13 AM »

would a long weekend or short break in this country help in the interim, where you could get back to mum if need be but enough to relax the two of you.  Somewhere like a hotel and spa perhaps to be cooked for and looked after?

CLKD

« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »

Or somewhere near to where you Mum is right now PF?  A couple of nights 'on hand' as it were?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23