Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Exercise brings on hot flushes  (Read 2528 times)

scumspawn

Exercise brings on hot flushes
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:40 AM »

Has anyone worked out how to exercise when any brings on an overwhelming hot flush? I've also pulled my shoulder so no pullups, push ups and limited yoga moves.

I'm the biggest I've ever been because I've pretty much stopped doing anything other than walk.

cubagirl

Re: Exercise brings on hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »

I found swimming was better, water helped keep me cooler. Aquarobics maybe.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »

scumspawn - I trained as a professional dancer and before meno I had to really exert myself before I sweated.  When working, the make up artists loved me because I didn't sweat in the face.  I now sweat really easily, particularly in the car if the sun shines in - my face becomes really sweaty and my back is often drenched and that's sitting down!!!. 
I have got used to this to a degree, wear cotton layered clothes and everything gets washed a lot. My joints are so damaged from dancing, walking is about the only thing I can do these days - I walk a lot.  As for gaining weight, this is quite normal when meno hits and I have simply reduced the amount I eat by about a third and cut out as much sugar as possible. Diets don't work, you simply have to eat a lot less permanently!!! I am feeling quite smug these days - when I go round the supermarket I never go down the aisles with biscuits, chocolate or crisps and the only cakes I eat are the ones I make myself as a treat about once a month.
What I really hate is the loss of muscle and feminine fat.  I have lost some weight around my bottom but my tummy has gone all flabby despite doing tummy crunches - my shape has complety changed and I know this is quite normal for the meno but it is non the less depressing.
The sweating isn't so bad in winter - I actually feel the cold far more these days but I do sleep better when it's cold.
Swimming is a good alternative - I can't do swimming as it makes my vaginal area sore because of the chlorine. DG x

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 02:33:32 PM »

How many steps or miles do you walk scumspawn? Could you up the number of miles you walk?

dancing girl, I too have cut how much I eat and am going sugar free for November. I'm petite and even a couple of pounds extra make me a difference. Quite surprised by how much my body shape has changed even though I'm at the same weight as I was.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 05:10:51 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am also petite and my main form of exercise is brisk walking which can make me sweaty but I tolerate that. I also do the sit/rise exercise most days to improve core strength. I actually do twenty repetitions quite slowly but my heart  races after the first ten. Despite this and a plant based diet my shape has changed even though my weight has not.
The reason I wanted to post was that when I bought my trusty meno book I looked at the photo of a postmenopausal woman and thought no way am I going to end up looking like that!  Well ten years on I find I do look like that and I just don't care. The fact that everything's relocated and headed south is frankly the least of my worries!

Best wishes everyone.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 05:58:05 PM »

Great posts and I agree with all that's been said. Ditto I weigh only a few pounds more than I did when I was 18 but I sure am a different shape. Yes to sugar free (except for fruit which I continue to eat) and cutting all refined/processed carbs and limiting others - that's the way to lose weight. Yes re the exercise - walking is brilliant and there are lots of strengthening exercises you can do even if some parts of your body are not working well.

Scumspawn - try to have a goal in mind eg by a week before Christmas you will be doing this much exercise (whatever you decide) and have lost maybe 2-4 pounds or something? The muscle strengthening exercises are what helps to keep the weight off because replacing fat with muscle raises your metabolism so you burn more calories at rest and can therefore eat more - has to be done forever (well until you get really infirm I suppose...). The more you lose the easier it will be to exercise. Even when I lost about three quarters of a stone over the past 15 months - now2-3 pounds under 9 st - I really notice the difference when I exercise - at Zumba I can really jump up and down and feel so much lighter than I did before - so losing a few pounds you will feel more energised and then it will put less pressure on your joints and less chance of flushes too hopefully! :)

Hurdity x

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:09:01 PM »

Barefoot

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »

I love cycling. Being outdoors with a breeze in my face. In fact you've just made me realise I don't think I've ever had a hot flush on my bike. I just need a few minutes when I get off before I go inside, to let my body cool off a bit. I went on a cycling holiday this year and it was fab. I try to go to the gym most days too.  I find I don't have too many hot flushes when I exercise. I think mine are brought on by stress and exercise takes stress away for me.

Losing weight helps but it's a battle! I gave up sugar, that made a difference.

Barefoot x