Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Patch  (Read 2765 times)

Anjia

Patch
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »

I just wish I could get on with the patch I cant seem to absorb it and the night sweats and flushes keep coming back.At the moment i am on Estrodot 75 but they dont seem to be working I started on tablets four years ago after my hysterectomy which worked fine except for some ibs  Im  thinking of going back to the tablet but am a bit concerned as they say the patch is safer,I tried gel but couldent get  on with it anyone been on tablet hrt for a long time and doing ok? would love to no.

Dancinggirl

Re: Patch
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »

Use what works for you.  When using oestrogen only here aren't the risks of breast cancer as with the combined HRT - so patches won't be any safer that pills or gel.  Have you tried Oestrogel?
Also, have you had your thyroid function checked recently as this can cause flushes!!!??  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »

I think we have discussed your situation before? Did you say that 50 mcg worked well for you? I am sure we might have suggested increasing by just a little at a time so going up to 62.5 mcg for a few weeks and then increasing to 75 mcg if necessary?

Hopefully someone on tablet HRT with hysterectomy may be along and give their experiences?

Hurdity x

Anjia

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »

Hurdity do you think that going up from 50mcg to 75mcg could be to much and causing me to flush ?

marras

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 12:30:01 PM »

That's interesting DG, I didn't know that oestrogen only doesn't carry the risk of breast cancer.  It's great to know. (Sorry to butt in on the thread).

linz57

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »

Anjia, a couple of months ago I upped my patch from 50 to 75 and I started to get hot  flushes along with a face that was as red as a lobster. I think the increase needs to be done in smaller increments and over a longer period of time.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »

marras - I believe that women who have had a hysterectomy are actually less likely to get breast cancer if they use oestrogen!!!! I think the long term study did flag that up!!!!
However, it also throws up the big question as to why using progesterone together with oestrogen (as non hyster women have to use) gives the small risk of BC???!!!

Does the long term study take into account the lifestyle of the women using HRT who do develop BC? Were they overweight or drink alcohol or smoke?
We on MM can run a coach and horses through this study in terms of faults.  It was set up wrongly in the first place and doesn't take into account so many aspects and is therefore deeply flawed. DG x 

Anjia

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »

Hi Linz57 if I start to cut a small bit from the 70 patch for a few weeks maybe it will help the flushes to stop but then I think with changing to much it could make things worse ?  Really not sure what to do my gp said dont cut the patch but to be honest she dont seem very clued up on hrt.

linz57

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »

if you do it gradually Anjia you should be able to find the sweet spot , that dose that suits you just fine. In the past I have cut a quarter off a patch and worn it alongside a full one to give me some stability.
However, it's not ideal to keep constantly changing
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:27:29 PM by linz57 »