Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fibroids and drinking milk/soya  (Read 2875 times)

nearly50

Fibroids and drinking milk/soya
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »

I have read various, conflicting articles online about whether milk or soya makes fibroids increase in size and wondered if anyone had seen any real research on this? I have mulitple fibroids, biggest 6cm x 4cm. Found through unrelated ultrasound and not causing too many problems, might be the cause of my heavy periods and I do have some stabbing pains in my stomach occasionally. I did drink quite a lot of milk and have stopped, now use soya milk in my coffee and cereal but wondered if I'm doing the right thing?

Dancinggirl

Re: Fibroids and drinking milk/soya
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

There is some evidence that soya (that is high in phytoestrogens) has an oestrogen effect and can therefore alleviate flushes etc.  I know that breast cancer sufferers are told to avoid phytoestrogens/isoflavines because of this oestrogen effect. Whether soya would contribute to fibroids I don't know.  Cows milk certainly wouldn't - cows milk will give you the vital calcium your bones need.
If you are peri meno then often the fluctuations in hormones will result in fibroids but the oestrogen effects of certain foods is probably unlikely to have that much effect.
The best thing that would help you is a Mirena - this would thin your womb lining and will usually shrink fibroids.
If you are worried, stick with cows milk for the time being - cows milk and yogurt are great unless you are truly lactose intolerant which is very, very rare.  DG x

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »

Thank you - I read somewhere that the oestrogen in cows' milk can cause fibroids to grown but couldn't find it again, and didn't know if there was any actual science behind it.

I think I drank too much milk and my vegan friend showed me a video on the welfare of cows which put me right off.

thanks for the advice, not worried, just don't want to inadvertently make matters worse.

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »

We can get as much calcium from other things other than milk.

Dairy cows live a miserable life , the beef cattle a much better life in comparison.

Organic milk is better as the cows aren't so pumped with all sorts, however the poor cows have to keep on producing calves.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »

Hi nearly50

I wouldn't believe all you read on the web - there's all sorts of weird stuff out there  ::)

For example I just googled it and the first thing that came up was an article saying how to shrink fibroids using soya!!!

Really I would just carry on - it's not as though you are taking soya/phytoestrogen supplements anyway which are supposed to be avoided by women with breast cancer. Normal food would have a negligible effect - please just carry on drinking milk as you were doing - well for health reasons anyway. Absolutely no need to stop unless the welfare of the cows does concern you. You could always buy organic milk where hopefully the cows are treated better than in the massive automated milk factory farms.

As Dancinggirl says having a Mirena fitted would be the best thing to do to help shrink them. 6 cm is quite large - has the doc not suggested any treatment for them anyway?

Hurdity x

nearly50

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »

Thanks,

No, I don't want a Mirena and don't think they're causing any real symptoms that warrant invasive treatment.