Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello ladies  (Read 1993 times)

sueregional

Hello ladies
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »

Hello,

I am new to this site, 53 years of age and not had a period for over 3 years and that was also the last time I actually was able to sleep through the night !
Suffered terribly with the menopause initially, but the mood swings  lifted only to be replaced with hot flushes and brain fog.
Not being able to sleep for me, was the biggest issue so decided to see my GP 6 weeks ago who prescribed Nuvelle continous, and this week I have actually slept through, no waking up, just 7 hours solid sleep I feel amazing.
However I have had terrible period pains and had a very heavy period which surprised me as I thought the point of taking the continous was so that I did not have a period  , I also have a very distended stomach that makes me look pregnant !
I am on a very low dose of the combined tablet but have been advised that patches are the way to go ?
Not spoken to my GP yet but have any of you lovely ladies had experience of Nuvelle,  would love to hear your thoughts ?
Many thanks for your time
Sue
x

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello ladies
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
It is quite normal to get bleeding,cramps and a bit of bloating for a few weeks or even months on a conti HRT - with either pills or patches - this is the body adjusting to the hormones. Combined patches tend to be medium dose  so may be higher strength to what you are using. There are oestrogen only patches but you then have to use progesterone pills separately.  It's worth giving any HRT at least 3 months to see how you feel - it takes time to settle.  There are many options with HRT - do look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to get clued up and get back to us with questions. DG x 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »

Hi sueregional

:welcomemm: from me too. Great to hear you are feeling better generally - and crucially - are able to sleep - this is so important to be able to function! :)

I am puzzled by your saying this is a low dose as the only preparation of Nuvelle continuous listed in this site is 2 mg which is actually a higher dose  :-\

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

As Dancinggirl says the body takes a while to adjust to being without oestrogen. Also as it is 3 years since last period - maybe your womb lining was slightly thicker than usual (in the absence of progesterone) and this first stage could be the lining coming away. This is why many women get some bleeding initially.

Oral HRT can be nore erratic in that it has to go through the digestive system so especially at first - it could be your levels fluctuating. Any drop in the progestogen dose could trigger a bleed if your lining was somewhat thickened. As Dancinggirl says - you need to give it 3 months to settle but sometimes there can be some bleeding for up to 6 months - especially as this is (if it is Nuvelle as listed) a higher dose. Maybe you are not in UK and there are other doses of this type?

If you continue to have unpredictable bleeding then maybe you might want to consider cyclical HRT which gives a predictable withdrawal bleed?

Hurdity x

sueregional

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 06:26:34 PM »

Thankyou ladies for coming back to me so quickly ! You have both put my mind at rest, that this is normal and nothing to fret about.

What a great website this is.

Have a lovely evening both ,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »

So glad you feel reassured but just to say that if you do become concerned about the bleeding if it is prolonged and doesn't seem like a period, and in particular if your pains/stomach do not subside, then perhaps have a quick check with your doc? We can say what is normal but of course we don't know your body!

All the best :)

Hurdity x