Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scams  (Read 7984 times)

Pennyfarthing

Scams
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »

Been at my mums a lot last week and each time there has been a damned scam call. It makes me so cross that these can't be stopped completely. She gets two or three every day and they really upset and frustrate her as often she's asleep or on her stairlift.

She was signed up with the telephone preference service years ago but that's not much good as most of these calls seem to come from India.  There are a couple of firms who will intercept calls but WHY should old people have to pay about £120 for this service when they've done nothing wrong and the callers are doing wrong!

bramble

Re: Scams
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »

There are devices you can buy to go on the phone line but I do agree that they should be stopped at source. But how? Most of them use auto diallers so it is not as if they have actually got your number.

Bramble

PS. Could she talk to her telephone provider and get all overseas called barred? That is if she normally does not get overseas calls. That would be a free option.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »

Can you explain to your Mum that there isn't any necessity to answer the 'phone, no need to jump up from the stairlift for example.   When I was ill I would pull the plug from the wall so that I wasn't disturbed, however, your Mum might not remember to replug.  Does your Mum have an answer phone so that she can allow any call to go there.  She can then ring you when it's you?

There are boxes that one can buy that filter these calls apparently. 

breeze

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »

We have virtually eliminated this by buying as 'blocking phone'.
Have sent you a PM with the details.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:10:41 PM »

Me Me please ……..

breeze

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 08:16:40 PM »

Okay. Check your PMs in a Mo.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »

The call I took on Friday was a very poor line and the caller was an Asian female asking for my mother by name. She said she was from Call Prevention Register but sounded so dodgy that I knew it was a scam.  I checked when I got home and indeed it was.  It's listed on the link below and I'm amazed there are so many scam firms out there.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/mobile/bogustpscalls.html

I think it's disgraceful that they try to defraud elderly people who may be bedridden, very frail or very ill. 

I have told my mother a million times not to answer the phone but she takes no notice.  Her kids and grandkids know, for example, not to ring her in the afternoons as she will be in bed. She knows I always ring her between seven and eight  at night and always have done.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 08:33:48 PM »

From Which?

"Dedicated devices such as CPR Call Blocker and TrueCall Call Blocker plug directly into your home phone and allow you to screen the calls you receive. Read our hands-on reviews of the CPR and TrueCall call blockers.

"Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/nuisance-calls/article/ten-tips-to-stop-cold-calls - Which? "

Maybe PF ask your Mum how much these 'cold calls' upset her?  Ask what she would advise a friend in the same situation to do?  Perhaps she would take that on 'board' in a more constructive way.  [Mine refuses to answer the phone in the lounge but insists on dashing to the one in the hall  >:( even though she has fallen several times!!!]

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »

Okay. Check your PMs in a Mo.

Thanks. Will study. X

Dana

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »

Could your family members set up a system whereby they let the phone ring twice, hang up, then ring again. That way she will know it's a legitimate call. Any calls that just keep ringing are people she doesn't know. Also have an answering machine in case they are a legitimate caller, so they can leave a message.

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 01:09:16 PM »

Don't know if I'm allowed to do this but

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT8500-Enhanced-Blocker-Cordless-Phone/dp/B00LZTHUK8

Best thing we've ever bought. Not had a nuisance call for 2 years.

star35

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »

I bought that one from by when they had an offer on it. As you say no nuisance calls since.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »

Could your family members set up a system whereby they let the phone ring twice, hang up, then ring again. That way she will know it's a legitimate call. Any calls that just keep ringing are people she doesn't know. Also have an answering machine in case they are a legitimate caller, so they can leave a message.

No that would be too confusing for her and she doesn't have an answering machine because she couldn't operate it.

She is always trying to ring me on her remote control or adjust her chair with the hand held phone. Poor Mum!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »

I think she's going downhill Pennyfarthing, quite quickly  :-\

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 07:26:16 PM »

I think she's going downhill Pennyfarthing, quite quickly  :-\

You're right!  Tomorrow though we have an appt at her house with male nurse to start her on medication to possibly slow down the Alzheimer's.  I have just come off the phone to a friend whose dad had it and she says it really helped him. I was a bit reluctant as, like everything, some people get side effects but Mum said she would give it a try.

Friend says her dad used to get very depressed and that was much better and they had better conversations. 

Last week mum had forgotten how to swivel round her stair lift at top of stairs and was trying to get off in wrong position which is very scary!  Same thing with her new rise and recline chair.  It's a big worry.
Pages: [1] 2