Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sparkle  (Read 11424 times)

star35

Sparkle
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:25:38 AM »

Hi sparkle
Can I ask you about your acid reflux. My doctor now wants to send me for another endoscopy and I see yours wants to do the same. I have had 3 lots of different tablets and none seem to have worked. I can go a few days and feel good and then it all comes back again. Is this the same for you do you get it on and off. I had an endoscopy and ultra sound and neither showed any thing wrong. Can you explain what yours is like. Hope you don't mind me asking.
Star.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sparkle
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »

Also try eating differently.  I don't take my evening meds too close to going to bed otherwise I get vicious acid reflux.  I always have Rennies 2 hand, it can take 2-3 tablets B4 I gain relief.  Milk of Magnesia can be useful too.

Some of the prescribed relief medications can cause more problems than they cause.  I have in the past chewed a tablet about half an hour prior to eating.  I have been aware of heartburn for a few weeks now - apparently Himself tells me that I keep muttering 'heartburn'  :-\ as I wander around the house  ::)

Sparkle - has your GP not given you a Motillium-type medication?  When I had IBS in the 1990s my GP gave me Colpermin to ease upper gut wind as well as the above - each had to be taken within the hour of my main meals … which meant that I had to set the alarm initially  >:(  ::).  Within 3 days the symptoms had started to recede  :)

star35

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »

Thank you so much for replying. I have changed what I eat, have kept a food diary,have changed my eating pattern but nothing is helping. I have now started taking ranitidine it's been a week now but no improvement, also have the stingy throat. I have another 3 weeks on these tablets and if no change then back for another endoscopy but if nothing showed in the first place not sure if any thing will show up now.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »

Hello star35 and sparkle.

This may sound silly but it may help or prompt some other ideas.

My neighbour struggled with digestive problems for a long time until he started making his own bread after being given a machine as a present.  It seems there is something in commercially made bread that he was reacting to and he never would have known that under normal circumstances.

I haven't had acid reflux but I do know about IBS and I sympathise with sufferers everywhere!

Wishing you well.

K.

star35

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:51:15 PM »

Have tried omeprazole and then lansoprazole but neither helped. When I do have a good day I don't think it's the tablets that are helping I just think that I'm not getting acid on that day, does that make sense. Have not tried ga but will give it a go.Will try any thing so wedge pillow will be next, can't do extra pillows as l have damaged discs in my neck, so the wedge should be better. Completely agree about trying to find the cause being a nightmare.
Hi Kathleen
 Funny you should mention bread as that always has an effort on my husband, but for some reason I hadn't  considered that might be affecting me. Willing to consider any thing, thank you both.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 08:15:01 PM »

B4 investing in a wedge try lifting the head of the bed on two bricks under each leg.

I don't view Colpermin as medication  ::) - I did note though that when taking it my poo smelt of peppermint  :-X

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:09:21 AM »

Have you tried digestive enzymes or bitters as a lot of acid reflux is caused by too little acid (esp. after 40s) where food isn't breaking down properly so everything piles up and you get slow transit in the small intestine? This leads to reflux at the top and constipation and imbalanced bowel bacteria at the lower end. Peri hormones also cause the same as they mimic a pregnancy state where food transit is meant to slowdown to retain more nutrients.

PPIs etc. may help the symptoms initially but can add to the cause. I battled it all for years (was on every 'prazole going, motillium, serotonin blockers etc.) and finally refused to take them when I ended up in pain from the lack of acid causing food to churn the stomach lining until it was raw.

My GPs have recently changed how they prescribe PPIs as they used to put patients on them long term but now they only do courses due to the rebound reflux and gut bacteria issues.

Peppermint also caused me probs as for many people it relaxes the sphincter at the bottom of the osophigus allowing contents to reflux up.

star35

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »

Hi Sparkle
I will give the food combining diet ago, I hadn't thought of that. My daughter is lactose intolerant and although I am not I tried cutting out lactose, but it didn't help.
I to have found chocolate a problem but funnily not milk chocolate but my daughter's dark chocolate.
Like you say it is tricky trying to find the culprit.
Some times when I eat it gets really bad soon after, but another time I can have it really bad but as soon as I eat it gets better. Just so hard trying to find any pattern.

CLKD thank you for reminding me about bricks under the legs I had forgot about doing that. It was something we had done for my dad.

Hi dangermouse
I had been wondering if this could be not enough acid. My daughter uses digestive enzymes for her lactose problem, don't know if they are the same ones, I will look in to it.
I am due to see the gp12th Dec and she is going to refer me back to the consultant for another endoscopy so I now have a few things I can ask him about.
Once again thank you all for your help and suggestions.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »

Why not swallow something prior to eating to 'line' the gut?

star35

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »

Just what I was going to ask.
I to have wondered if maybe I have an intolerance, also have thought about a dietician. I just find it all so mentally tiring trying to sort out what foods could be making it worse along side all the daily demands of every day life.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 07:05:48 PM »

Liquid Milk of Magnesia or something simple …….. even an Actimel pot or LIVE yoghurt will help to line the gut.

dangermouse

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 07:19:11 PM »

Yes even fresh lemon juice can be enough for enzymes as it causes your stomach to start producing acid - even imagining eating a lemon can do it as our stomachs are directly affected by the brain! (I also use it sometimes in hypnosis to make clients mouths water as an induction).

Do note that when you stop PPIs and Ranitidine you will get quite a strong rebound acid effect as your body switches the gastric hormone back on.  It will settle in a few days though but a lot of people think they must stay on PPIs forever because of this.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 10:37:18 PM »

I haven't read every reply so forgive me if this has already been suggested but I have come across this before with acid reflux not responding to any of the drugs on offer and it was because the acid was bile acid and not stomach acid.  I then read an article from a gastro Dr saying that everyone whose acid reflux is not responding to the drugs should be tested for bile acid reflux but it is rarely done.
Maybe ask about this in case??

Elizabethrose

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »

star35

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »

Good luck.
In the last couple of days I have noticed the pain starts a short while after taking the tablets, so I am leaning towards that it could be low acid. Plenty to discuss with gp then consultant. Have been a little stressed which also starts it off.
Pages: [1] 2