Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Religion in the work place  (Read 7692 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Religion in the work place
« on: November 12, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »

Earlier today I was in a well-known store where the Floor Manager was suggesting what her staff 'should do next'  She was advising two young girls to stock the cooked meats - i.e. pork, ham - one girl is Muslim.  Am I being sensitive or would it have been nicer to ask the girl to stock i.e. bubble bath  :-\

bramble

Re: Religion in the work place
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »

Far too sensitive!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »

Why?  :-\

bramble

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »

If I was a vegetarian and worked in a shop, would you expect me not to restock cold meat?
I don't know why we are getting so namby-pamby these days. Even if the girl really was Muslim, (how could you tell as you can't really tell just by the way she was dressed), then if she was working in the shop voluntarily, she just has to get on with it. Regardless!

Bramble

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »

Far too sensitive CLKD.  Any employee in a supermarket must know when they apply for the job that they will have to work with all sorts of products and foodstuffs.  Nobody can pick and choose what they handle or work with for religious or other reasons.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 08:00:42 PM »

A bit too sensitive I think CLKD. It's nice that you thought of her feelings but when she applied for the job she would have been aware of what she had to do.

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 08:03:56 PM »

Just read this and thought of this thread.

The Muslim taxi driver was totally out of order and fined accordingly.  Great job!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3930394/Muslim-Uber-driver-fined-refused-pick-blind-passenger-guide-dog-against-RELIGION.html

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »

Employers don't have to accommodate a person's beliefs if they prevent them carrying out the job which they are employed to do.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »

But it is insensitive.  There are so many other products that she could have been allocated to.

Any Taxi driver that refuses a Fare should have his Licence revoked.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 06:18:54 PM »

But it is insensitive.  There are so many other products that she could have been allocated to.

Any Taxi driver that refuses a Fare should have his Licence revoked.

But then you'd get vegetarians saying they don't want to work with meats, vegans not wanting to work with milk and dairy products .... I know it's not for religious reasons but it would follow on.

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »

And some people are veggie for 'religious' reasons anyway.  If you only have a couple of people working in a department, it would be very difficult to avoid one of them handling the meat.  If it is wrapped up, she should be ok anyway - for most of my Muslim friends, it's physically touching/eating the meat that would be a problem, so as long as it is wrapped, they would be ok.

It's funny, because I have friends who are teetotal for religious reasons, but I bet no one would ever suggest they not be asked to restock the wine or brandy butter in a supermarket!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »

If the shoe were on the other foot and I lived in Saudi Arabia, do you think any employer there would give two hoots about my religious beliefs, I think not.

Of course they wouldn't. It's their country and their rules just as it is with companies. My friends daughter works for a Saudi airline and has recently had surgery to her face for skin cancer. Their rules are that nobody is allowed to work on their planes with any kind of mark or blemish on their face at all. I thought it was very harsh and said as much to her but both she and her daughter had accepted it was their rules.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »

In Saudi women at not allowed to drive.

As for brandy butter, how much alcohol is in it: probably all flavouring  :D

bramble

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »

We have changed from a country who fought and conquered half the world - remember when the world map was all pink just about? - to a country full of hand wringing, namby Pamby bleeding heats! When did that happen? But that's a whole different discussion!

Bramble

ancient runner

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »

lots of bleeding and heats on this forum Bramble ;)
Pages: [1] 2